Changing Of The Guard

Remove this Banner Ad

John Greening

Rookie
May 13, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I Know i'm jumping the gun but if Collingwood win or lose the 2023 GF some players need to move on and make room
The biggest calls will be Pendles Siddy and Howe another year older players can drop off in ability dramatically
As they say it's always better to retire one year earlier than on year later
All big successful clubs do it Richmond Hawthorn etc
This will hurt me as much as it does to all Pie fans but we have too many ready made players waiting in the wings to step into team
Players like Johnson Markov Frampton McCrae Ginivan Reef JC E.Allan Krueger Dean

Pendles just signed for next year, so won't be him. I'm not sure when Sidey is contracted to, but I think he will probably go next year.

Pendles will play next year and should. Steele should too. Their form suggests they’ve got another quality year each. Steele has played some top notch footy this year.

Howe isn’t the same now. His first game back I was optimistic but just not seeing the elite footballer he was. Still think he’d have another year.

Pendles will play next year and should. Steele should too. Their form suggests they’ve got another quality year each. Steele has played some top notch footy this year.

Howe isn’t the same now. His first game back I was optimistic but just not seeing the elite footballer he was. Still think he’d have another year.

I think Howe shouldn’t really play next year

Particularly if he gets the chance to go out on top with a flag this season

I’d be ok with Pendles going one more year. Maybe Steele too.

nice "told ya so" in case we do lose and the older players are to blame. I think I posted a similar argument early last year, so I hope people remember that post and praise me if it comes true.

ironically, the one not mentioned is tom mitchell who is struggling a bit because of his limitations. I think he might be edged out in the coming weeks, although finals footy is likely to suit him.

Pies are one of the older sides in the competition. It feels boom or bust this flag tilt because I've not been convinced by a lot of the youth coming through the system to replace all the 30+yo in the next few years who are still the top performing players in the side apart from the obvious.

Pies lucked out on the FS timing

I Know i'm jumping the gun but if Collingwood win or lose the 2023 GF some players need to move on and make room
The biggest calls will be Pendles Siddy and Howe another year older players can drop off in ability dramatically
This will hurt me as much as it does to all Pie fans but we have too many ready made players waiting in the wings to step into team
Players like Johnson Markov Frampton McCrae Ginivan Reef JC E.Allan Krueger Dean
we have too many ready made players waiting in the wings ?
Sorry,thats just not true. we've only a few, and they arent top liners, able role players perhaps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Howe moves out, Ruscoe moves in.
Sidebottom out, Quaynor to the wing and Ryan down back.
I can’t believe people saying quaynor to the wing. It nullifies his greatest strength - one on one marking contests and intercepting, and makes him need to rely on his own ball winning and disposal precision - which aren’t his strengths.

Howe,Mitchell and Cox are all in trouble for next year,Mitchell maybe alright after a rest but he is having trouble coming up week after week,Howe I think was brought back too soon this year to his detriment.Cox will be 33 next year and will get no faster and although he has not played that long the game just get,s passes you by.

I not sure Taylor will be able to go through the guts much longer I know he was great saturday night but it gets harder to come up each week when you hit 30, I would like to start Daicos,De Gouy and Finn next year in the middle.

Howe is probably closest to dropping out of the best 23. That's probably where we have the option of Frampton/Dean to go taller, or Ryan/Ruscoe for a similar size replacement.

As for Pendles and Sidebottom, there is more time, hopefully Allan or McCrae have broken out by then. We have a surplus of mids rotating forward. Ginnivan/Johnson breaking out can also be enough to cover one of them.
Also there is a couple of trade/draft periods to prepare. Given we got 5 mature players plus picks last year we can find cover quick on that record

I think Sidey is in career best form. He has never kicked the ball more effectively. The press always raved about his footskills but we all knew there were times when passes were at ankle height or missing. The past two years his foot skills have been truly elite. But what has impressed me more is his physicality. His tackling and ability to stand in tackles and still use the ball effectively has been sensational. He has an uncanny ability to protect the pill when in a contest with a taller opponent. He did it in the last term against Port at a crucial time and took a chest mark under intense pressure. His quick thinking is only matched by Pendles and Nick but even Nick occasionally bites of more than he can chew and overdoes the no look and over the head handpasses. Steels sums up the match conditions and situation brilliantly and knows when a quick hack kick is required rather than holding up play or simply being tackled and wrapped up. On other occasions he does the opposite and knows how to kill the game with a well timed fumble or allowing himself to be tackled.

He is amazing.

I can’t believe people saying quaynor to the wing. It nullifies his greatest strength - one on one marking contests and intercepting, and makes him need to rely on his own ball winning and disposal precision - which aren’t his strengths.
Yeah. He's a 1980s wingman. Not today.

That’s not a long list and you’re dead wrong on two of them.

Let’s win a flag and be a big succesful club before we can do what the big successful clubs allegedly do ( which is arguable) The list is in good shape for an orderly transition of the old guard. There’s no cliff and no urgency to cull.

Yeah not sold on the retiring/trading your champions a year or two before required. While you're contending, if they're still playing at a level that's better than the next man up, you hang on to them.

Just cause Hawks and Tigers did it doesn't mean we should blindly follow that trend, not convinced it worked out for either of them.

In the context of the OP it makes even less sense. If we do win the GF why would be purposefully shoot ourselves in the foot when aiming to go back to back?

That's not even considering the intangibles experienced players bring, like setting training standards to ensure the next crop gets the best out of themselves, on field coaching etc

I think Sidey is in career best form. He has never kicked the ball more effectively. The press always raved about his footskills but we all knew there were times when passes were at ankle height or missing. The past two years his foot skills have been truly elite. But what has impressed me more is his physicality. His tackling and ability to stand in tackles and still use the ball effectively has been sensational. He has an uncanny ability to protect the pill when in a contest with a taller opponent. He did it in the last term against Port at a crucial time and took a chest mark under intense pressure. His quick thinking is only matched by Pendles and Nick but even Nick occasionally bites of more than he can chew and overdoes the no look and over the head handpasses. Steels sums up the match conditions and situation brilliantly and knows when a quick hack kick is required rather than holding up play or simply being tackled and wrapped up. On other occasions he does the opposite and knows how to kill the game with a well timed fumble or allowing himself to be tackled.

He is amazing.

Sidey is certainly an old mudlark (in racing terms). His ball handling in the wet has always been outstanding

Remove this Banner Ad

Back