Society/Culture Changing your mind

Remove this Banner Ad

RudyBlue

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I find it amazing that some people can hold certain views, despite overwhelming evidence that it is nonsensical/cruel/whatever you want to call it.

There's nothing wrong with changing your mind, I feel it is a sign of intellectual honesty. However, the sensation of being 'wrong' is definitely uncomfortable.

In these times of extreme political partisanship, I feel it is extremely important to examine our own biases and understand the drivers behind different points of view.

In my younger years I used to believe the traditional roles of men and women in society were mainly due to biological determinism. Yet in our modern society, I'm finding that much more questionable.

What's a societal issue you've changed your mind on? Why and how did it change?

See Conspiracy Board for a whole psychological analysis on how much people bury their heads in the sand, unable to face the reality of this world, the truth of many "conspiracies" and other lies perpetrated by the elite.
What's a 'conspiracy' you believe to be true?

The death penalty. Until a few years ago, I considered the punishment to be warranted for class A drug traffickers, pre-meditated murder and terrorism. Then I wrote a 3000 word essay on it for an elective subject at Uni - the research for which piqued my curiosity on the matter. I very strongly believe state-imposed murder to be beyond barbaric and unnecessary, especially in today's day and age.

I'm actually considering taking up post-grad studies in Human Rights with a focus on capital punishment; a far cry from the previous aspirations I held in commercial law/investment banking. I actually voted Liberal in 2013, nowadays I'm very left of centre. Weird how much my views have changed in such a short amount of time - it's possibly a common occurrence amongst early-20ers such as myself.

See Conspiracy Board for a whole psychological analysis on how much people bury their heads in the sand, unable to face the reality of this world, the truth of many "conspiracies" and other lies perpetrated by the elite.
Or see the Conspiracy Board for people with psychological illnesses.

The death penalty. Until a few years ago, I considered the punishment to be warranted for class A drug traffickers, pre-meditated murder and terrorism. Then I wrote a 3000 word essay on it for an elective subject at Uni - the research for which piqued my curiosity on the matter. I'm actually considering taking up post-grad studies in Human Rights with a focus on capital punishment; a far cry from the previous aspirations I held in commercial law/investment banking. I actually voted Liberal in 2013, nowadays I'm very left of centre. Weird how much my views have changed in such a short amount of time - it's possibly a common occurrence amongst early-20ers such as myself.
Interesting.

I've grown up with conservative parents and thus followed their ideas quite closely. I then moved more left as I finished school and started university and have now come back towards the centre.

I'm a science and logic lover so it always annoys me how multifaceted issues can be.

I changed my mind once, and ended up with a worse one. - Spike Milligan.

You make an interesting point, especially relevant to politics. I reckon that if pollies had the balls to admit it when they were wrong, they'd never have to worry about being re-elected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my younger years I used to believe the traditional roles of men and women in society were mainly due to biological determinism. Yet in our modern society, I'm finding that much more questionable.
What evidence has made you change your mind that gender roles aren't based in biology?

Last edited:
I change my mind quite often when better evidences comes to light or when I start to view things from different perspectives.

These have included: veganism, animal cruelty, political views, death penalty, transgender, Islam, feminism.

I've noticed some people on here are too rigid to ever admit when they are wrong and would rather go the ad-hom or stop responding entirely. I think it's a sign of character to say 'hey, you know what, you might be right here'.

I once bought into the neoliberal economic theory lies. Education, experience and self-study was enlightening.

I find it amazing that some people can hold certain views, despite overwhelming evidence that it is nonsensical/cruel/whatever you want to call it.

There's nothing wrong with changing your mind, I feel it is a sign of intellectual honesty. However, the sensation of being 'wrong' is definitely uncomfortable.

In these times of extreme political partisanship, I feel it is extremely important to examine our own biases and understand the drivers behind different points of view.

Here's a few examples;

1) When I was 3 months old I thought that by voting, the government would represent the public, and that the government had the best interests of the people as a priority, but then I turned 4 months old, and that one month of growth made me see through the illusion

2) Back when I was an atheist, before it became fashionable, I used to believe that the God of the Old Testament did not exist, He seemed too ignorant, greedy, and cruel. But then the more I thought on the characteristics of this God and the people who have created and rule over the world in which I live, I realised there was a one-to-one relationship, thus proving the existence of God

3) I remember when I first heard of Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations that I was struck by the concept of the Invisible Hand and thought this would be a marvellous way for a capitalist society to regulate the economy, that is, money was not the be-all and end-all of society, but unfortunately for myself, when I was 2 days in utero I realised that the major purpose of society is for a few people to have more money than they could possibly need or utilise

I used to believe that gender differences were largely cultural. But after having kids and seeing how they behave and reading science articles on biology I now believe that biology plays a far bigger part then society is willing to accept.

To focus on the point of the thread tho, and not let it go off-topic....

What have I changed my mind about over the years?
Genuinely....nothing!
In fact, the opposite has occurred...the years passing, and the world changing, have only convinced me more I was always right about the gamut of things I perceived/believed.
and that post is a sign of unintelligence. Its a ridiculous notion to have more experiences and not change your views as what exactly do you think created your views in the first place? Experiences.

there is no such thing as neo liberal economic theory. You cant go to uni and go I want to study neo liberal economic theory. Its not a thing.
Friedman-championed second generation Chicago theory, the orthodoxy that seems to have taken hold in within most western governments.
Perfect markets with minimal influence, etc. We've seen that his work predicted the 70s stagflation, but has been little use since (unless you're the CIA and you want to influence 70s and 80s era South America).

His followers (e.g. Reinhardt-Rogoff) built upon his work that influenced Reganism / Thatcherism during the 80s only to be later found to contain serious spreadsheet errors, but not until after the Shock Doctrine policies of the 90s put formerly state-control assets into oligarchical hands throughout emerging economies (including central and eastern European countries) and of course the disastrous austerity policies of the PIGS (removing the second 'I' - Iceland did the opposite and recovered very quickly).

What evidence has made you change your mind that gender roles aren't based in biology?
It's not that I don't see how historical biological influence has created traditional gender roles, it's more that I don't see how biological arguments are as relevant in modern society. I used to have the attitude that the genders should just stick to their traditions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back