Remove this Banner Ad

Bolly

Senior List
Mar 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philly Eagles, Liverpool, Raptors
With the prelims just over the horizon, I've been lurking on bigfooty and quite enjoying the commentary over which past finals were the best. After going back and watching a few highlights here and there it's somewhat refreshing to view certain teams under a different scope, especially in eras before my time. I personally find it sometimes difficult to remove my prejudice goggles and look objectively at a side due to whatever bias I have against them.

So I'm curious to hear if and how you guys have changed your minds and come around to certain teams. Whether it be a change of coach, a circumstance the team has found themselves in or maybe just some new star players that impress you.

For example, I always had a bit of a disliking for North Melbourne, this is likely due to them being a bogey side for us for quite a while until we were able to get some wins back in 17/18. Losing the elimination final against them in 15 certainly didn't help ease any tensions either. However, the sacking of Brad Scott has really quelled a fair bit of my distaste for them and I'm thinking it may just have been him I had it in for!

Interested in hearing your stories :)

PS. I'd like to focus on more in-house events as opposed to the behaviour of fans. I'm more than aware a fair few people have it in for Richmond post 17 due to our built-up angst of being the league's laughing stock for 37 years :p

I thought Collingwood's fans and coach were, for the most part, exemplary in their response to what was a heartbreaking Grand Final defeat last year, and have gone from one of my least favourite clubs to one I would be not unhappy to see win the flag this year.

My perception on Buckley as a coach has changed too, his post Grand Final humility and drive under exceptionally hard circumstances has been outstanding.

I thought Collingwood's fans and coach were, for the most part, exemplary in their response to what was a heartbreaking Grand Final defeat last year, and have gone from one of my least favourite clubs to one I would be not unhappy to see win the flag this year.

My perception on Buckley as a coach has changed too, his post Grand Final humility and drive under exceptionally hard circumstances has been outstanding.

Are you the bloke who wrote him the letter? lol

That's funny because all I remember from last year was carrying on and the petition over the non free kick.

That's funny because all I remember from last year was carrying on and the petition over the non free kick.
I think that was a vocal minority, every team has a fair share of nuffs. The majority of Collingwood supporters that I've interacted with here or in person have been pretty gracious about it.

It’s weird but mostly it’s based on people I know. For instance, one of best friends is a Hawks supporter so I have a soft spot for them, despite the apparent rivalry between them and Geelong. I used to heavily dislike Freo but my girlfriend is a Freo supporter so I have warmed considerably.

Stuff like that shouldn’t make a difference but it does.

As mentioned by another poster, Collingwood is a big one. Always disliked them, but the last couple of years Buckley looks to have changed for the better. Also Pendles seems like a cool guy.

I think that was a vocal minority, every team has a fair share of nuffs. The majority of Collingwood supporters that I've interacted with here or in person have been pretty gracious about it.
You havent met my family then LOL I'm the odd one out. (3 uncles, 3 aunties & 6 cousins, 12 second cousins are all pies)

North after Brad Scott have a chance to change.

Fagan and Hodge beautified the Lions.

i always liked the Pies and the Tigers (loved Richo.... though some of the Tigers players grate on me a little atm).

Carlton, Essendon and Geelong. What on earth can be done to redeem them, i ask?

Used to like Geelong. I used to live there, my parents still live there, my brother and his family live in Barwon Heads, it’s good for the area when the footy team does well.
Things have changed over the last 7-8 years however, and it’s nothing to do with the ‘rivalry’. It has everything to do with the excruciating, mind boggling bunch of whining sooks they’ve become in that time. It’s seriously like nothing I’ve seen in almost half a century of watching football. It’s truly embarrassing for them.

Lol at thinking that petition wasn’t a pisstake :$

Now I think about it I have separation between the coach and the club.

Admire Bucks and Hardwick, loathe their cretinous parochial clubs.

Admire Geelong's professionalism but hoping every week they lose so I don't have to hear again from their whiney coach.

Feeling warmer toward North now they've hired one of the good guys as coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were the WC bloke that wrote the letter to him?

That's because Collingwood supporters largely DGAF about West Coast. Interstate team. Out of sight, out of mind.

Watch their response if they lose to Richmond next week.

circa 2005-08 I utterly despised Fremantle except Pav.
The Carr brothers, Des Hedland, Byron Schammer, Paul Medhurst in particular made my blood boil.
The fact also they were pretty average (OK they were good in 2006, but look at the years prior to and after that) at that time but used to really get up for Derbies, it was so obvious that beating the EAgles was like the number one priority for a lot of blokes on their list.
Fast forward a little bit over a decade and I dont really mind the Dockers and most of their players.

Hawthorn used to be a 'meh' club to me prior to their dynasty, but around mid 2014 is when I really started to hate them.
Their success was annoying, Jeff Kennet was annoying, their play at a 'family club' image was annoying.
I still hate Hawthorn, but I do respect them.

When Suns first came in I lived in Brisbane and for their first 3-4 years when they were building little by little each season in the right direction, had a plethora of West Aussies in the team and had Bluey as coach, I really go on board them as my 2nd team. (Obviously Iwanted the Eagles to belt them when they played each other, but I actively tried to watch and cheer for them against everyone else). Now though I couldnt give a hoot about them at all.

Always have and always will despise Essendon and Carlton.

Funnily enough these days I have quite a soft spot for the Hawks. I kinda dig watching the master coach pull out all his tricks to get what is a cobbled together team low on talent compared to the three peats sides and seeing them dismantle sides that on talent should flog them - case in point the Hawks last two weeks against WC and GWS.

I’ve always hated Collingwood and Carlton... always.
I used to like the cats back in the late 80’s early 90’s when they lost all those grand finals. Even went to the 92 grand final and cheered for them that day. I think I liked them right up to about 2011... not sure why it was 2011 however that just seems to be the time they turned into a real whiney club...

Deep hatred for Richmond, I have felt they have by far the worst fan base since one of my first few games I ever attended.
Kind of dislike the Blues/Bombers because I feel I am meant to... they have been very irrelevant in my time following football though.
Geelong I originally hated due to that 07-11 period but have mellowed a fair bit on that now.
Sydney is probably the one that I originally liked back in 05/06 but despise now.

I have noticed a lot of people dont like North one bit... can't really relate

I used to like Richmond but now they are self entitled cocky supporters. BTW you've won 1 flag! One.....

I used to hate Richmond when Troy Chaplin was there. Every week I would cheer so hard for their opposition and enjoy their failures and be enraged by their wins. I took great amounts of schadenfreude when they kept losing finals, especially the one to us.

But I started to warm to them in 2017 now that Chaplin was gone and I admired how they started to turn their fortunes around...but it was beating our arch-nemesis in a Grand Final that they were red hot favourites for that was the cherry on top for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back