Changing your perception of other teams

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually liked Richmond. Then 2017 happened and I saw how bad their fan base was (not all of them of course). Probably the most insufferable campaigners going around. Rarely did I read a humble post from a tiger fan following their flag. This carried on through all of 2018 up until the PF. No chance they said we had. Post PF and they all scuttled like cockroaches into the dark corners of the web.

I didn't really have any particular feeling for West Coast. As disappointing as it was last year I realised how good their footy was. They are a great organisation. Adam Simpson is a nice guy and most of their players are pretty genuine. I don't mind the eagles now.

You would expect me to hate Carlton but I actually don't mind them.

I also don't mind me some doggies. Bevo is a great coach.

Essendon can GAGF.

Geelong... Ah man, sometimes I don't mind them and other times I *en hate them. So no real particular feeling. Danger is the most self absorbed campaigner though.

GWS.. Lol. I don't like plastic.

GC sun's... I also don't like plastic.

Sydney... Yuck. One of my most hated teams.

Lions. After this year my mind has changed. Used to hate them but with fagan coaching and Lachie neale recruitment, I feel something has changed. They are actually likeable now.

Hawthorn, Freo and North. Meh.

Don't mind the Crows and Port. Ditto for the Saints and Dees.

Last edited:
Unlike other's experiences, I have some mates who are Richmond fans and they're top people. Far from what seems to be BF lore of feral fans, they are pretty humble, have no tatts or bad haircuts and never think Richmond will win any game ever (probably due to years of trauma through the long bad times).

Also, Dimma seems like a great bloke

Unlike other's experiences, I have some mates who are Richmond fans and they're top people. Far from what seems to be BF lore of feral fans, they are pretty humble, have no tatts or bad haircuts and never think Richmond will win any game ever (probably due to years of trauma through the long bad times).

Also, Dimma seems like a great bloke

Can you get them onto bigfooty? Lord knows we need some normal tiger fans on here.

Didn't like West Coast for a number of years. Gradually started coming around to them after how they acted after the Walsh tragedy. Now they're the club I want us to be more like.

Used to quite like Geelong and Melbourne. Not the case anymore (though Melbourne fans are fine).

Used to like Geelong. I used to live there, my parents still live there, my brother and his family live in Barwon Heads, it’s good for the area when the footy team does well.
Things have changed over the last 7-8 years however, and it’s nothing to do with the ‘rivalry’. It has everything to do with the excruciating, mind boggling bunch of whining sooks they’ve become in that time. It’s seriously like nothing I’ve seen in almost half a century of watching football. It’s truly embarrassing for them.
Who are you talking about? The local community? BF posters? The footballers themselves? The coach?

Damien Hardwicks post game presser from last year’s prelim was as good as I’ve seen. Honest, humble. Naturally, that is the same as his captain and seems to be reflected throughout the club. That is leadership.

Deep hatred for Richmond, I have felt they have by far the worst fan base since one of my first few games I ever attended.
Kind of dislike the Blues/Bombers because I feel I am meant to... they have been very irrelevant in my time following football though.
Geelong I originally hated due to that 07-11 period but have mellowed a fair bit on that now.
Sydney is probably the one that I originally liked back in 05/06 but despise now.

I have noticed a lot of people dont like North one bit... can't really relate

North is disliked due to their “unsociable” culture. Don’t have many genuinely skilful players, so resort to rule-flirting to win. Also Brad Scott was a problem.

I'll go through each team and what I think of them, and what I used to think of them if my perceptions have changed:

Adelaide: Always had a soft-spot for the Crows. Maybe because they're another interstate club that entered shortly after us. Kind of feel bad about what's been going on lately, especially for fans.

Brisbane: Again, like them for similar reasons to Adelaide. They've been down for so long it'd be nice to see them have success again.

Carlton: In the 90s when they had success, they were one of my least favourite clubs, another pillar of the VFL establishment, but now I more feel sorry for them, and preference them over Collingwood (where I used to dislike the Blues a bit more).

Collingwood: Eddie Maguire and some of their supporters makes it hard to warm to them, to say the least. Sure, I know every club has good or bad, but there's something about the 'Magpie Army' that remains irksome. I don't care either way about Buckley, nothing against him personally. But still dislike them, and rarely do I want them to win.

Essendon: See Carlton. Back in the 90s were my least favourite along with the Blues. Plus we had a fair rivalry. Haven't been a contender for awhile, and I don't really mind that haha.

Fremantle: I actually used to say Freo was my second or third team, believe it or not, and was never one of those 'I go for West Coast and whoever Freo's playing' types. But some Big Footy posters kinda ruined that. I REALLY hate losing the Derby, and thankfully order has been restored and we're 30-20 (at one point they almost evened the ledger than we trolled them with 9 in a row). I still wouldn't begrudge them a maiden flag, maybe it would get that chip off their shoulder.

Geelong: Back in the day they were actually one of the less disliked Victorian clubs. Maybe cos I felt bad we beat them in a GF twice, and they came so close so many times. After their immense success in the 00s and early 10s they just became annoying. Dangerfield etc and their entitled mentality has made them one of my least favourite.

Gold Coast: Imo a failed AFL project. I feel a bit of pity for them, but imo the AFL should put them out of their misery.

Greater Western Sydney: Don't overly fond of them, but don't mind them that much either way. Would love to see them upset some Victorian clubs though.

Hawthorn: Like Geelong, didn't overly mind them in the 90s. After '15 though there was that resentment that they'd beat us twice. My dislike for them kinda peaked then, though I'm still not a huge fan.

Melbourne: Never particularly liked them that much, but I feel a bit sorry for them and their fans, so wouldn't mind seeing them break the drought.

North Melbourne: For some reason, I've always liked North, and they're my 'Melbourne team'. Given my dislike for the Blues and Bombers because of their success, it might seem odd. But maybe it's cos they were a smaller Melbourne club. Lived, worked and spent quite a lot of time in North Melbourne, strengthening my ties to North's identity.

Port Adelaide: Was pretty neutral about them, and still kind of am, but prefer Adelaide.

Richmond: Never a big fan, but generally love seeing droughts broken, so was happy when they won in 2017 (though I would have preferred Adelaide). Have some hardcore supporters, though some are a little floggish. Respect em as a team, but don't celebrate their success.

Sydney: Quite liked the Swans for the same reasons I liked Brisbane and Adelaide back in the 90s and early 00s, but after 2005 that turned. Sour grapes I know. At least we squared the ledger in '06. Since then I've still found them kind of irritating, the concessions etc they got too, and grew sick of their success.

St. Kilda: See Melbourne. Dealt some rotten luck so I mostly feel sorry for their supporters, you'd have to be really loyal to stick with the Sainters.

Western Bulldogs: Prior to moving to Melbourne didn't have a strong opinion of them. I live in Footscray now, and really got into the 2016 fairytale story. They represent the underdogs, the battlers, and I know quite a few Bulldogs supporters. My 'Melbourne team' along with North. They haven't had much success historically so wouldn't mind seeing them be successful.

I actually liked Richmond. Then 2017 happened and I saw how bad their fan base was (not all of them of course). Probably the most insufferable campaigners going around. Rarely did I read any humble post from a tiger fan following their flag. This carried on through all of 2018 up until the PF. No chance they said we had. Post PF and they all scuttle like coachroahes into the dark corners of the web.

I didn't really have any particular feeling for West Coast. As disappointing as it was last year I realised how good their footy was. They are a great organisation. Adam Simpson is a nice guy and most of their players are pretty genuine. I don't mind the eagles now.

You would expect me to hate Carlton but I actually don't mind them.

I also don't mind me some doggies. Bevo is a great coach.

Essendon can GAGF.

Geelong... Ah man, sometimes I don't mind them and other times I fu**en hate them. So no real particular feeling. Danger is the most self absorbed campaigner though.

GWS.. Lol. I don't like plastic.

GC sun's... I also don't like plastic.

Sydney... Yuck. One of my most hated teams.

Lions. After this year my mind had changed. Used to hate them but with fagan coaching and Lachie neale recruitment, I feel something has changed. They are actually likeable now.

Hawthorn, Freo and North. Meh.

Don't mind the Crows and Port. Ditto for the Saints and Dees.
Of course Pies fans are so humble......LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll post how I feel about each club

Adelaide: Don't mind them I guess, always enjoyed watching them due to entertaining players like Eddie.

Brisbane: never really thought much of them recently until around 2017 where they started to become really entertaining. And Neale going over has increased my love for Brisbane and I was disappointed he couldn't get a flag with them this year. Hope he wins one.

Carlton: Used to hate them but this year I love watching them play, great young talent and exciting.

Collingwood: Used to hate them but the team has completely changed it's public perception from a bunch of feral to a professional and well run club. Bucks is a legend (have met him) and would be ok with a flag this year.

Essendon: Hate the bastards, the drug scandal was ****ed and just a very unlikeable team.

Geelong: My most despised team easily by a long shot. Absolutely hate them, part of it is probably because they have been consistently good but also because we've had our fair share of incidents with them (* you Scarlett and Johnson). The only team left in the 4 I'd hate to see win.

Gold Coast: No opinion on them, just kinda there.

GWS: Always had a soft spot for them but definitely love them now since they've become more aggressive. Also love them because everyone else hates them. Toby Greene is a ******* pleasure to watch and my fave on that team, love watching people waste their anger on him. Would be stoked to see him win Norm Smith this year.

Hawthorn: Poos and wees

Melbourne: Always liked Melbourne for some reason, was cheering them hard in finals last year but ultimately it seemed to be a fluke.

North Melbourne: Same with Melbourne, always had a soft spot for them. Don't mind thumping them though ;)

Port Adelaide: Hate them, Port fans have been some of the most feral I've been surrounded by at matches. Don't like em at all.

Richmond: Love them, play with intensity and passion, a great crop of players and would be fine with them winning this year.

St Kilda: Hate them, fans seem to hate us after the whole Ross Lyon saga. Love beating them and probably my most hated after Geelong.

Sydney: Don't really have much to say on Sydney, always been indifferent.

West Coast: Great players and a great style of footy, aggressive and arsehole fans. Can't go 5 seconds without them mentioning our shortcomings. If their fans weren't so hostile I'd like em more.

Western Bulldogs: Soft spot, was glad when they won in 2016.

I liked Richmond as an organisation. Reminded me of us. Was happy to see them win it in 2017.

Last year demolished all that goodwill. God they have a supporter base full of absolute pills. Shame as there’s plenty about the club there to like.

Yup agreed. For a while I thought maybe it’s because they won a flag and I was just overthinking it, but I’ve come to realise since that I have zero issues with Bulldogs and Eagles supporters (in general.)

I really like Riewoldt though and how he has transformed himself into a team player and matured. Grimes is great too.

Yup agreed. For a while I thought maybe it’s because they won a flag and I was just overthinking it, but I’ve come to realise since that I have zero issues with Bulldogs and Eagles supporters (in general.)

I really like Riewoldt though and how he has transformed himself into a team player and matured. Grimes is great too.
Yeah I think Riewoldt is a sensational person. A lot of time for him:

I used to hate Richmond and like Geelong.

Now I like Richmond and hate Geelong.

I don't mind Collingwood now, and I will always hate Freo.

Last edited:
I don't have any second teams or soft spots for any team, but I especially hate Essendon, and also hate but not to the same degree: Sydney, Geelong, Carlton, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond, St Kilda, West Coast and the Bulldogs.

I hope Collingwood win the flag this year though.

Adelaide: Meh, I don't really give a toss about interstate teams.
Brisbane: Hate them with a passion. Stems back to '02 and '03.
Carlton: The devil. Cancer. I wish their misery was prolonged for another 2 decades.
Essendon: For some reason I don't mind the Bombers. Some of their supporters are flogs but on the whole, I don't mind them.
Geelong: Have grown to dislike them over the last 5 or 6 years. Hawkins shits me.
Gold Coast: Shouldn't be in the league. Not needed or required.
GWS: See above. GAGF.
Hawthorn: Don't mind the Hawks. Clarkson is a genius. They just wouldn't go away. Like a cockroach.
Melbourne: Hate these pricks too.
North Melbourne: Meh, the one Victorian team I have no opinion about. Like vanilla. Bland.
Port Adelaide: See Adelaide.
Richmond: Liked them a lot pre GF victory. Supporters grew heads the size of Texas overnight. I've watched last year's prelim about 30 times.
St Kilda: A nothing club. St. Kilda is the ugly chick that hung around with hot chicks and was never picked up. Keeps trying and trying to no avail.
Sydney: Despise them.
West Coast: Great team with moron supporters. See Richmond after the GF win. After Richmond, the one team I want to smash in a GF. Asides from Carlton.
Western Bulldogs: 2nd team, being from the west also. Glad when they won in 2016.

Carlton: The devil. Cancer. I wish their misery was prolonged for another 2 decades.
Essendon: For some reason I don't mind the Bombers. Some of their supporters are flogs but on the whole, I don't mind them.
Geelong: Have grown to dislike them over the last 5 or 6 years. Hawkins s**ts me.
Hawthorn: Don't mind the Hawks. Clarkson is a genius. They just wouldn't go away. Like a cockroach.
North Melbourne: Meh, the one Victorian team I have no opinion about. Like vanilla. Bland.
Richmond: Liked them a lot pre GF victory. Supporters grew heads the size of Texas overnight. I've watched last year's prelim about 30 times.
St Kilda: A nothing club. St. Kilda is the ugly chick that hung around with hot chicks and was never picked up. Keeps trying and trying to no avail.
West Coast: Great team with moron supporters. See Richmond after the GF win. After Richmond, the one team I want to smash in a GF. Asides from Carlton.
Western Bulldogs: 2nd team, being from the west also. Glad when they won in 2016.

I like how you open with not giving a toss about interstate teams and then rant about West Coast, Gold Coast, GWS, Brisbane and Sydney.

Although I definitely enjoyed how you certainly didn't give a toss about Fremantle because they don't even make the list.

Hats off to Collingwood as a collective for being gracious in defeat in last year's grandfinal, it really changed my opinion about the club. I didn't have any issues with their supporters when I was in Melbourne. I hope they make the grandfinal this year and win 👍

Damien Hardwicks post game presser from last year’s prelim was as good as I’ve seen. Honest, humble. Naturally, that is the same as his captain and seems to be reflected throughout the club. That is leadership.
Richmond as a club is great.

Great people. Cotchin is a gun human. Hardwick seems like a bloke you could have a yarn with and there would be no judgmental awkward pauses.

Some of their posters on here are almost insufferable. I say almost because we are still here...barely...

Geelong: Have grown to dislike them over the last 5 or 6 years. Hawkins s**ts me.
Why do some Pies fans refer to some teams as cancerous? It is out of order and offensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back