Channel 10, Paramount Plus TV Rights Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
A-League women off free to air and two A-league games moved to 10 Bold in revamped schedule

A-League Women to be removed from free-to-air television as part of new broadcast schedule​

There will be no A-League Women (ALW) games on free-to-air television for the first time since its inception, after renegotiations of broadcast arrangement for the upcoming 2022-23 season.

Key points:​

• All A-League Women games will be placed on Network Ten's free streaming service, 10 Play
  • Two A-League Men games per week will be shown on Ten's subsidiary channel, 10 Bold
  • The renegotiated arrangement follows other sporting leagues announcing hybrid broadcast deals with free-to-air television and streaming platforms
The Australian Professional Leagues (APL) announced on Wednesday that both top-flight competitions will undergo a broadcast revamp this year following poor viewership numbers during its previous COVID-ravaged season.

It said market research shows a greater proportion of fans are flocking to streaming services.

As part of the new arrangement, two A-League Men (ALM) fixtures will be shown on broadcast partner Ten's free-to-air subsidiary station, 10 Bold, on Saturday nights at 7:45pm and Sunday afternoons at 3pm — up from one on the main channel last season.

Games will also be ad-break free during live play following criticism of last season's arrangement that saw ad breaks take place after goals and during drinks breaks, with at-home fans sometimes missing subsequent goals due to the interruption.

All remaining ALM games will be shown on the APL's subscription streaming service, Paramount+, which also came under fire last season for various technical issues including a lack of pause and rewind functions and slow replay uploads.

The expanded ALW, which previously had one game per week on 10 Bold and has had at least one game accessible on free-to-air television since the league's inception in 2008, will be moved entirely to Ten's free streaming service, 10 Play.

It's the first time in the history of the women's league that games have not been available on terrestrial television.

The APL says moving all ALW games to 10Play, which they suggest has a 66 per cent female user base and reaches over 2.9 million Australians every month, will offer "increased access to support the growth of the women's game in the lead up to the 2023 Women's World Cup" after low engagement with games on Paramount+ last season.

6.5 million people accessed the A-Leagues through its two primary streaming services last season, while traditional television figures plummeted after over half of all fixtures were rescheduled due to the pandemic.

The ABC understands the new ALW fixtures, which the APL will release next week, will include simultaneous 3pm kick-offs on Saturdays, which could potentially eat into viewership figures with fans only able to watch or attend a single game at any one time.

The ALW will receive additional marketing, bespoke digital content, and further terrestrial cross-promotion with other Network Ten shows such as Have You Been Paying Attention?, The Project, and Studio 10.

This broadcast arrangement has changed since the $200 million, five-year deal was announced in 2021, which originally had a hybrid model of games on free-to-air television and streaming platforms.

Most other women's leagues in comparative nations have hybrid broadcast models, such as England's Women's Super League, which has seen a "near fourfold" increase in viewership figures following a broadcast deal arranged between Sky Sports and the UK's free-to-air broadcaster, the BBC, in 2021.

In Australia, the Women's National Basketball League has recently announced a similar hybrid partnership with ESPN and Channel 9, while the AFL this week confirmed a $4.5 billion broadcast deal with Foxtel and Channel 7.

"This season's broadcast schedule is designed to deliver more football to more Australian homes with 26 additional men's games on 10 Bold and almost 100 women's games on 10 Play," APL chief executive Danny Townsend said.

"Football fans will know exactly where and when they will be able to watch A-Leagues football, week in and week out.

"Making every single ALW game available live and free on 10 Play means that every girl in Australia can turn o their device and have sporting role models at their fingertips. With nine months to go until the 2023 Women's World Cup, we are maximising the opportunity to access the game at every level."

The ALM kicks off on October 7 with a grand final rematch between Western United and Melbourne City, before a month-long break for the men's World Cup in Qatar from November 13, while the ALW will begin on November 18.

Lots of spin to say ratings where dead sh!t So changes need to be made to remove the women's league and move the men's to 10 Bold!

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
At the risk of asking a really stupid question: any ideas where I can actually find the current A-League season on Paramount Plus?

It hasn't been showing up anywhere obvious on the homescreen, so I do a search for 'a league' and it comes back with last year's men's and women's seasons and the AFC champions league. Where the heck can I just find the current season?

At the risk of asking a really stupid question: any ideas where I can actually find the current A-League season on Paramount Plus?

It hasn't been showing up anywhere obvious on the homescreen, so I do a search for 'a league' and it comes back with last year's men's and women's seasons and the AFC champions league. Where the heck can I just find the current season?

I don't know if you are on PC or TV but on PC just click on sports up the top and then A-League. I can't help you if you are talking about the TV app.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Yeah on the TV.

The TV app, say on a Samsung TV? On the left hand side of the TV where you see all those tabs, scroll down to Sports and then you will see a series of different icons (A-League Men, Matildas, FA Cup etc). Click on the A-League and you’re in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Their player needs a full redesign, it may be ok for tv but it lacks a heap of standard features needed for live sport. Don't think there's any incentive for them to upgrade it though, A-League would be a small fraction of their views I reckon.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
The TV app, say on a Samsung TV? On the left hand side of the TV where you see all those tabs, scroll down to Sports and then you will see a series of different icons (A-League Men, Matildas, FA Cup etc). Click on the A-League and you’re in.

I've got a Hisense and a crappy TCL and they do the same thing. Just generally scrolling doesn't bring up anything. The only way I get anywhere is by doing a search for "a-league"... then it comes up. Except only the 21-22 season comes up for the men's and women's comps, instead of just having a single "A-League" and then sub-categories for men's, women's and the current season as a default with past seasons available for selection.

Similar thing to last year, it had the 21-22 season, but the games were in no coherent order. So I couldn't just select my team or go through the rounds from most recent to oldest to find the game I wanted to catch up on, they were randomly ordered. So I'd give up.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
I've got a Hisense and a crappy TCL and they do the same thing. Just generally scrolling doesn't bring up anything. The only way I get anywhere is by doing a search for "a-league"... then it comes up. Except only the 21-22 season comes up for the men's and women's comps, instead of just having a single "A-League" and then sub-categories for men's, women's and the current season as a default with past seasons available for selection.

Similar thing to last year, it had the 21-22 season, but the games were in no coherent order. So I couldn't just select my team or go through the rounds from most recent to oldest to find the game I wanted to catch up on, they were randomly ordered. So I'd give up.

That’s weird mate! I am stumped what the issue could be. Hopefully you can at least watch it elsewhere.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
This must be killing the A-League, surely? You'd be better giving the product away as all games FTA for whatever they want and the increased exposure is worth more than the cost of the rights?

I want to watch A-League, I have Paramount Plus and I can't find it (see a few posts above - something I neglected to mention was that it's running as an add-on to Amazon Prime).

I go to Prime and then into Paramount and any search for the A-League brings up last year's games (21-22), the A-League W and 'A League of Their Own'. So I try to get to Paramount through my Fetch box and it asks for a log in, but it doesn't recognise my email to let me reset it.

I'm time poor, so, f*** it. I'll just watch an NBA game or start following one of the other mid-range Australian summer leagues (the A-League's direct competitors) that's easy to find on Kayo and I'll 'follow' my A-League games in 2022 by watching the minutes and scores go up in Google, kind of like what people probably did 25 years ago.

The harder you make things to access, the easier it is for people to just give up on you.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I just bought this bad boy for my living room:

1670984197292.png

HiSense don't have a Paramount App which is incredibly frustrating. Also there is no built in Chromecast either as HiSense TVS use the VIDAA operating system.

So I have to plug in a chromecast to watch on this TV.

Meanwhile I also bought a 43 inch TCL TV for the bedroom - only $500. That runs Android and has a Paramount + app. And even if it didn't it has built in chromecast!

Really, Paramount + needs to be built in to all Foxtel boxes, all games consoles and all popular smart TVS. Also needs to be preloaded onto all popular smart phones.

This is the only way that it will become mainstream.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
I just bought this bad boy for my living room:

View attachment 1572955

HiSense don't have a Paramount App which is incredibly frustrating. Also there is no built in Chromecast either as HiSense TVS use the VIDAA operating system.

So I have to plug in a chromecast to watch on this TV.

Meanwhile I also bought a 43 inch TCL TV for the bedroom - only $500. That runs Android and has a Paramount + app. And even if it didn't it has built in chromecast!

Really, Paramount + needs to be built in to all Foxtel boxes, all games consoles and all popular smart TVS. Also needs to be preloaded onto all popular smart phones.

This is the only way that it will become mainstream.

I wouldn't buy a TV these days that's not Android/Google TV based. My current TV is a five year old Sony but cause it's Android TV still have zero issues with any apps and has the built in Chromecast just in case. There are some Hisense ones that do use Android/Google TV as their OS.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I wouldn't buy a TV these days that's not Android/Google TV based. My current TV is a five year old Sony but cause it's Android TV still have zero issues with any apps and has the built in Chromecast just in case. There are some Hisense ones that do use Android/Google TV as their OS.

Yeah the bottom end Hisense ones do run off Android apparently. Having said that comparing the two interfaces (my bedroom TCL TV has Anrdoid) I do prefer the VIDAA setup over the Android setup. Lack of inbuilt chromecast is annoying though and there are still a few streaming services that don't have built in apps.

Going back to paramount there really needs to be native apps on pretty much every device. Foxtel being the most important.

Looks like subscription targets not being reached have caused the shortfall in broadcast revenue that have led to Sydney GF deal

Back