Racing Channel 10 to take over Melbourne Cup week from 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

News Limited are reporting that the Victoria Racing Club has chosen Channel 10 as their preferred media partner for the Melbourne Cup over long-time partner Seven West Media.

It is understood that the deal is valued up to $10 million per year for the four feature days of racing, which includes broadcast, digital and mobile rights.

The VRC took the media rights to tender in May for the first time in 16 years.

There has been no official announcement yet from the VRC.

Seven West Media are partners with the Victorian thoroughbred racing industry in Racing.com, with free-to-air media rights for all Victorian racing bar the four days of the Melbourne Cup Carnival locked down to 2024.

Racing.com is seeking to finalise arrangements with the VRC for the continuation of live racing and wagering coverage of the Melbourne Cup Carnival.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm predicting that TEN will show the Final hour of all 4 Days on ONE in Melbourne and Sydney with the final half-hour on ONE in Adelaide.

What does this mean for racing.com

also f**k me the VRC have done well with this. 20m a year is not bad. Just shows the industry further refined to the main spring and autumn days now.

Confirmed by Chairperson and CEO of VRC today that there will be no change to access for Racing.com or streaming of vision by betting sites. I suspect 10 had to make this concession so that everyone could still play happily together.

Great result for the VRC but I am really worried about what 10 think they need to do with the coverage to get $5m/day of value (that's simplifying the deal a bit but for all intents and purposes that is what they are paying for). Me thinks the world of blatant cross promotion is about to get even worse :(

Confirmed by Chairperson and CEO of VRC today that there will be no change to access for Racing.com or streaming of vision by betting sites. I suspect 10 had to make this concession so that everyone could still play happily together.

Great result for the VRC but I am really worried about what 10 think they need to do with the coverage to get $5m/day of value (that's simplifying the deal a bit but for all intents and purposes that is what they are paying for). Me thinks the world of blatant cross promotion is about to get even worse :(

Surely one positive is that they don't actually have any shows to cross promote.

Surely one positive is that they don't actually have any shows to cross promote.
Reality shows is ALL they have... Between Masterchef, Bachelor and Bondi Rescue I suspect we'll see a disproportionate number of "celebrities" sprinkled through the telecast... 7 already do it ad nausem, I don't really want to think about how bad it could get

You can tell how old a person is based on their views re broadcasting cup week.

When 10 last had the rights
- Last used to be raced at 4.45
- cross promotion of Channel 10 stars in the Channel 10 Marquee (Lavazza was only an infant back then)
- gopher vision was introduced.

The best bit ever though will be Simon Marshall describing Derby Day as the Creme de Mont of racing

racing.com and sky central frustrate me a stack too, have to watch with mute most times but at least they show the horses walking around.

sorry duff/hutchy/gator the rest are camels.

racing.com and sky central frustrate me a stack too, have to watch with mute most times but at least they show the horses walking around.

sorry duff/hutchy/gator the rest are camels.

Just before they jumped in the Concorde on Saturday Radley declared - NO MATTER WHAT THERE WILL BE A NEW EVEREST FAVORITE BY THE END OF TODAY'S RACING!!!

:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back