Channel 7 and Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

His charges - not allegations - are being totally played down by the AFL. Everything else is a product of that.

I get Collingwood supporters want him to play but everybody (not just them) needs to wake up.

He’s been charged with sexually assaulting a woman.

To have him out there dancing under the bright lights is shockingly inappropriate.

The AFL have really f’ed up here.

did you think the same when Majak Daw kept playing? 17 months he played on for.

DeGoey did not just come back from being a hero and getting terrible injuries during a terrorist attack, he came back after he got charged with sexual assault.

I was personally uncomfortable that he is even playing, and he should not be treated as a hero for playing through this.

were you also uncomfortable when Majak kept playing?

Lovett is always brought up but never the more recently charged Majak Daw, who continued to get selected in between being charged and his hearing. Innocent until proven guilty is how it is and how it has always been. Anybody who stood with Majak but is going the early crow on De Goey is a DH.

Seven have always picked their favourite players, particularly Bruce. The hype would have been there regardless of the charges.

Not sure what else you want the commentators to do. He’s an excitement machine and they need to pump it up during the game. It’s their job. It would be awkward if they turned mute when he had the footy. Bruce shouldn’t have said “hiccup” though.

His charges - not allegations - are being totally played down by the AFL. Everything else is a product of that.

I get Collingwood supporters want him to play but everybody (not just them) needs to wake up.

He’s been charged with sexually assaulting a woman.

To have him out there dancing under the bright lights is shockingly inappropriate.

The AFL have really f’ed up here.

I think you need to check the meaning of allegations. Just because a charge has been laid, doesn't change the fact it is still an alleged incident, which the police/lawyers will have to prove in front of court.

Also you are stating that this is being down played is completely untrue. If that was the case, bruce would not have had to apologise for a simple slip of tounge at the end of the broadcast. Neither would there have been prevelant discussion from that point onwards in regards to this matter.

Please do not bring supporter bases into this as that has nothing to do with it. Being an afl supporter, every fan should want to watch the best possible teams play. Just because certain members show patience and want the legal procedure to be followed, does not mean we condone any of the alleged actions.

Anyone who has been charged with a sexual assualt and out on bail has the right to go about and do their job, till the time they are proven to be guilty. Taking that liberty away because he is a well known sportsman would be highly unjust.

Not too sure why you feel AFL has f'ed up since they should have no say in this to begin with. That would be taking action before even knowing if he is guilty of the said incident or not.

Andrew Lovett was sacked by St.Kilda immediately and was not based on "whether Lovett was innocent or guilty of the charge".

He was found not guilty by jury and then preceded to take action against the saints.

Isn't that exactly what you don't want to happen. Lovett lost his job because he was considered guilty before even the trial took place, which is a very dangerous precedent.

He was found not guilty by jury and then preceded to take action against the saints.

Isn't that exactly what you don't want to happen. Lovett lost his job because he was considered guilty before even the trial took place, which is a very dangerous precedent.

De Goey certainly should not be sacked - he should be stood down (with no fault) from playing on full pay and with any legal, financial and any other assistance he needs from Collingwood.

At the moment he’s a prime time poster child. It’s shocking for the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor choice of words from Bruce and poor that Channel 7 didn't have a planned phrase that reflected the seriousness of the charge without delving too deep in to a complex situation. I don't think it helps anyone to have Bruce outlining the full situation in prime time, but something more than hiccup.

I think at this stage I'm fine with De Goey still playing. I don't mean to downgrade the seriousness at all but these aren't the most serious charges possible and it's relating to an incident years ago, both of those qualifiers matter a little to me. That's not saying it's not serious, nor is it saying anything about an alleged victim, nor is it saying he's any more or less guilty. Some people won't like me saying that but that's my opinion.

The most important thing is the hope that the truth prevails and justice is done. If stopping him from playing helped justice to be achieved I'd be all for it, but at this stage it could do the opposite. It could also turn the footy story of him playing once a week (or slightly more now) in to a more general news story that gets debated repeatedly, so I'm not entirely sure it's the best result for the alleged victim.

Poor choice of words from Bruce and poor that Channel 7 didn't have a planned phrase that reflected the seriousness of the charge without delving too deep in to a complex situation. I don't think it helps anyone to have Bruce outlining the full situation in prime time, but something more than hiccup.

I think at this stage I'm fine with De Goey still playing. I don't mean to downgrade the seriousness at all but these aren't the most serious charges possible and it's relating to an incident years ago, both of those qualifiers matter a little to me. That's not saying it's not serious, nor is it saying anything about an alleged victim, nor is it saying he's any more or less guilty. Some people won't like me saying that but that's my opinion.

The most important thing is the hope that the truth prevails and justice is done. If stopping him from playing helped justice to be achieved I'd be all for it, but at this stage it could do the opposite. It could also turn the footy story of him playing once a week (or slightly more now) in to a more general news story that gets debated repeatedly, so I'm not entirely sure it's the best result for the alleged victim.
Bruce should have said de goey back from being charged with indecent assualt. Steven back from being stabbed by his missus or ex missus?

That's good for footy

That’s completely wrong - in many examples both in sport and other industries.

thats completely wrong - vast majority of the accused are allowed to carry on with their jobs (if they choose to do so), till the time they are actually found to be guilty.

majority of the employers aren’t even aware if such allegations have been raised against the employee either.

De Goey certainly should not be sacked - he should be stood down (with no fault) from playing on full pay and with any legal, financial and any other assistance he needs from Collingwood.

At the moment he’s a prime time poster child. It’s shocking for the game.

I see your point, but say if he was found not guilty in the near future. It could encourage others to make false accusations just to distrupt someones livelyhood (degoey in this case would also lose out on a hefty contract).

now I do agree it won’t be a good look for the game if he is found to be guilty. But that would be the case regardless of him playing or not.

unfotunately when it comes to circumstances like these I personally tend to lean towards letting the courts do their jobs. This has also happened in past cases in afl e.g essendon players allowed to play after the original charges were lodged against them, which was the correct decision as they were not guilty of doing anything wrong till the authorities judged them to be guilty to a certain extent.

Man assaults woman, gets charged by the police and faces up to 10 years in prison for the alleged crime.

If you can read the above and think that person should be representing the AFL on prime time television (and getting lauded for his efforts), you have a serious problem.

All comes down to the *allegedly* that you left out.

If he’s found guilty they will quickly distance themselves obviously....but until then....

and re. Andrew Lovett - his new team mates were pretty quick to abandon him if I recall correctly and St Kilda, especially of that era, weren’t exactly renowned for consistency with how they disciplined their players so he just copped the wrong end of the pineapple unfortunately....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back