Channel 7 axes the Grand Final/Football Marathon | BigFooty

Channel 7 axes the Grand Final/Football Marathon

Discussion in 'Footy Fourth Estate' started by RichardPrentice, Sep 21, 2018.

1. RichardPrentice

RichardPrentice Draftee

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Edinburgh Bloods, Richmond Central
    If the tv guide is any, uh, guide, it looks like Channel 7 is going to show replays of the Preliminary Finals the night before the Grand Final instead of any semblance of a Grand Final/Football Marathon.

While some people would consider this part of the Grand Final tradition and heritage, obviously Channel 7 doesn't. I'm not entirely surprised, given they have really just gone through the motions for several years now, with apologies to Tim Watson, who has been 'hosting' the last few. Even though the ABC gets a belting at times, I reckon a few people would be very happy if their taxes were spent on them doing a Marathon with their archive.

KennyHuntersBlues likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. BoxMatrix

BoxMatrix Premium Platinum

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Los Angeles Lakers, Deontay Wilder
    Meh... They just showed the same Grand Finals every year. I mean, they sure were great games, but mix it a up a little bit.

Kingpin and 1989 like this.
  3. FrustratedTiger

FrustratedTiger Senior List

Richmond
    All good. I have DVDs of the 67, 69, 73, 74, 80 and last year. My night's sorted.

4. Cleavy

Cleavy Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    doesn't Fox Footy have the sole rights to the GF marathon?

5. Teagueeee15

Teagueeee15 Premiership Player

Carlton
    Drew Morphett said before he passed away that Fox Footy had purchased all the ABC footage from their archives, but I don’t believe they have sole rights to the marathon. 7 mate had the marathon last year, so I don’t see why they can’t put it on again should they wish. The problem is they show the same games year in year out.

6. Xtreme

Xtreme Hall of Famer

Hawthorn
    Technology is a wonderful thing. I have every grand final from 1990 - onward on dvd (including multiple copies of several Hawthorn, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney premierships!). I've built a collection of both Hawthorn and non Hawthorn finals series and regular season matches. I love this time of year, can have my own marathons :D

Bombermania and Tandy like this.
  7. JohnZ

JohnZ Club Legend

Geelong
    No Geelong marathon? Xtreme...

8. Xtreme

Xtreme Hall of Famer

Hawthorn
    I quite like the 89 and 2008 grand finals...... the 2013 prelim, the late round contest of 2014 and the 2014 qualifying final :D :p

I do own the recent Geelong grand finals on dvd (only one copy of 07, two copies each of 09 and 11). I find 2011 re-watchable (not to the extent of my signature) but I'll watch it at least once a year (usually for September finals viewing).

JohnZ likes this.
  9. Chuckie357

Chuckie357 Norm Smith Medallist

St Kilda
    Roaming Brian marathon to take its place?

10. iluvparis

iluvparis Premium Platinum

Carlton
    Other Teams:
    Calgary Flames, Man Utd
    [​IMG]

11. Xtreme

Xtreme Hall of Famer

Hawthorn
    [​IMG]

One of my best football purchases of all time (aside from the multiple Hawthorn Victory Pack's, Hawthorn grand final box set collections and the Ultimate Box Set celebrating Hawthorn's 3peat :D) pays off at this time of year :D.

Cleavy likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. wagstaff

wagstaff Premiership Player

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
    Ch 7 dropped their Sunday arvo Footy Flashbacks Show this year (20 mins of game time, 10 mins of recollections with the players, 30 mins of ads) so seems they’ve lost total interest in mining their archive of games.

saintal likes this.
  13. stmookeyj

stmookeyj Premium Gold

Western Bulldogs
    I'm lucky I can DIY this year, with plenty of games between my HDD (70, 74, 87 and 90, plus some minor finals) and DVD (66, 71, 75 that's playing now as I type this, 76, 77 DRAW, 81, 82, 85 although there's damage to the disc, 91, 93, 96, 97, 2001, 2010 DRAW, 2012 and last but certainly not least 2016) I can go from 7:30 on Friday Night till about 11 the next morning if I want to. I actually had more GFs but don't know where the DVDs of 84, 86, 88, 89, 92, 98 and 99 went to. Then I can back up with NRL the next day too.

14. Kingpin

Kingpin Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Trouble is it was the same grand finals shown every single year.
    I would've liked to have seen more finals matches through the years, not just grand finals, I remember them showing one of the semis from 1984, which had Essendon and Hawthorn in it, great game.
    Bit too repetitive now.

1989 likes this.
  15. Cleavy

Cleavy Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    can't even get a 1 hour retrospective on "...the season that was". Probably for the best, since they would have either one of their annoying commentators/media personalities doing the intros/narrations.

16. wagstaff

wagstaff Premiership Player

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
    Have Ch 7 ever done a TWTSTW show since they got back the rights? Can’t recall one from them.

Since they returned to footy coverage in 2007, Ch 7’s treatment of footy seems to have changed a bit.

Back in the 80s & 90s while they could be inept at times they seemed to take real pride in being the historic footy network, hence their desire to showcase their history with replaying classic matches, the footy marathon and season retrospectives.

Now, footy is just another product for them and they’re only going to put the effort when ratings/revenue result. The GF marathon offers no real benefit to them, so they think why bother?

17. Kingpin

Kingpin Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    I remember when 7 lost the rights to 9 and 10 several years ago and thinking what a disaster it would be, things just wouldn't be the same etc.
    Looking back in retrospect, I actually think the Ten Network did the best job at football coverage of all three.
    Nine was all that boofhead, blokey "Oh turn it up!" Footy Show stuff that was funny in 1996.
    Only thing that used to drive me bonkers with Ten was Steven Quarterbrain.
    It's a bit like with the cricket, for all those years it was on Nine, one year they showed the Ashes from England on SBS and that shat all over Nine's coverage.

18. DeIulio2Pearce

DeIulio2Pearce Premium Gold

Carlton
    70 and 79 are always on how is that an issue :p ?

Teagueeee15 likes this.
  19. Bomberboyokay

Bomberboyokay Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    NY Giants, West Ham, NY Rangers
    God that show was unwatchable. Just as you said, one quarter stretched over 60 minutes.

wagstaff and Kingpin like this.
  20. The Speaker

The Speaker Sage

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Fremantle, WA, Associates
    They have such a vast archive of VFL, SANFL and WAFL grand finals, yet they never use them.

21. Dogs Rule

Dogs Rule Norm Smith Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Footscray
    Hopeless that we have 7 and a footy channel and can’t get some sort of marathon. Disgrace. Ruining tradition.

Cleavy and wagstaff like this.
  22. PerfectFooty

PerfectFooty Perfect Cell

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Williamstown Seagulls
    All good. I have a few minutes of 64 and... Wait...

Dee Train and FrustratedTiger like this.