Channel 7 commentary whinge thread 2018-19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chaisa

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Exers
Who do you think is poor? The only good one they missed is Ponting.
Some of the non-international commentators are fairly dire (Healy, Lee)

Also I don’t get Howard with Fox’s structure and Warne and Waugh have too many dire moments for me to completely warm to them.

Danger in Texas

DID I STUTTER?
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, East Side, Knights
Who do you think is poor? The only good one they missed is Ponting.
Personally not a huge fan of Warne, although I can stand him. Don’t like Healy, Roy, Mark Waugh, Howie, Lee etc

In contrast, Slater is the only truly bad one on Seven I think. Actually don’t mind Fleming most of the time, and McGrath’s better than I expected, even if he is bland

footyfan78

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Unpopular opinion: I actually really enjoy Copes' and his touch screen. He's a bit awkward at times but usually provides some decent insight.
Does not let anyone else have a go at it. Hogs the touch screen. Has he scared off all the others from trying to use it?

STFU Donnie

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton
Good to see the current and previous hosts of the cricket (Brayshaw & Nicholas) had never played test cricket

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I find Brayshaw to be an annoying tit. But he was a very fine first class cricketer: 4,934 runs @ 42.53.
With all the selectorial garbage going on at the time, he was unlucky (IMO) not to get a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
With these breakaway prices they do with Trent Copeland. The first time I can recall seeing something like was C4 coverage of the 2005 Ashes. But they would do it in between overs. I think C7 lose a bit when they do it while it interrupts the over.

It offers pretty lightweight knowledge. The only thing I've learnt through these pieces is that Starc doesn't bowl 150 over the wicket, but does do around. I never noticed that.

Danger in Texas

DID I STUTTER?
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Who’s doing the BBL with all the special comments guys out at Boxing Day? Sthalekar, Blewett and someone like Andy Maher I guess?

worbod

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Somebody needs to teach Damien Fleming when to say "come" and when to say "came".

Hamish McLachlan is overdoing it with his Muttley laugh during the Talkin' Cricket segments.

Danger in Texas

DID I STUTTER?
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No words of appreciation for Simon Katich? I suppose this is a 'whinge' thread...
Katich is superb, wish they had him on for all the tests. Ch 7 have the ability to put a great team out there, Punter, Katich, Dizzy, Blewett, Fleming, Chopra and Nannes on rotation would be great. Sadly, McGrath and Slats are a big part of the team, though

Larry Barnsworth

Playing my Natural Game
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fleming and Slater on the couch before was pretty funny. Attempting to have insight, failing and then resorting to anecdote whilst interrupting and cutting each other off.

It was a classic example of blokes not listening when the other bloke was talking, instead just trying to think of what they would say next.

troybe

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
Fleming and Slater on the couch before was pretty funny. Attempting to have insight, failing and then resorting to anecdote whilst interrupting and cutting each other off.

It was a classic example of blokes not listening when the other bloke was talking, instead just trying to think of what they would say next.
Classic Julio vs Nerd power play

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

10Dulkar

Team Captain
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, AZ
With these breakaway prices they do with Trent Copeland. The first time I can recall seeing something like was C4 coverage of the 2005 Ashes. But they would do it in between overs. I think C7 lose a bit when they do it while it interrupts the over.

It offers pretty lightweight knowledge. The only thing I've learnt through these pieces is that Starc doesn't bowl 150 over the wicket, but does do around. I never noticed that.
Channel 4 introduced "The Analyst" in the form of Simon Hughes in 1999 - I think Hughes is excellent either as an analyst or commentator.

It's a shame about Slater who was very popular over here on Channel 4 who brought him back after his serious illness as well. I guess 9 corrupted him.

barrackers

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood

The Copeland segments seem disconnected to the rest of the broadcast. Even though he's at the venue it feels like he's in a Sydney studio and doing the segment remotely from the cricket. Part of it is because he's not part of the ball by ball commentary team and like the couch segments I think the connection would be improved by having a glass window overlooking the field as the background.

Maybe I'm just used to 9 though where they had field in the background for their broadcasts and would sit in a studio when taking an overseas feed.

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Posting to say I am TRIGGERED by Ponting and Tim Lane wagging their finger at the crowd tut-tutting them for booing Kohli. Chopra seemed confused by the sudden sanctimonious drivel being spewed.

Top Bottom