Channel 7 commentary whinge thread 2018-19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Could they have come up with a worse commentary team? Only just started watching the WC as I have been watching the tennis for the last couple of weeks and tonight have heard both Michael Clarke and Lisa Sthaleka. Clarke makes my ears bleed and Sthaleka destroys my brain cells.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates
Could they have come up with a worse commentary team? Only just started watching the WC as I have been watching the tennis for the last couple of weeks and tonight have heard both Michael Clarke and Lisa Sthaleka. Clarke makes my ears bleed and Sthaleka destroys my brain cells.
International feed: Clarke, Slater, Jones
Nine break team: Maddern, Taylor, Healy, Sthalekar

This from the country that once had Benaud, Lawry and Greig fronting their coverage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chaisa

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Exers
International feed: Clarke, Slater, Jones
Nine break team: Maddern, Taylor, Healy, Sthalekar

This from the country that once had Benaud, Lawry and Greig fronting their coverage.
Probably a case of they couldn't get anyone better on Nine as the rest are on other stations (Fox has O'Keefe, Julian, and either Waugh, Symonds or Warne as the 3rd/4th guy).

The international feed isn't good (though I like Jones) but I think contracting might have had something to do with it. As Clarke is a free agent and Slater seems to be in the doghouse with 7.

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Probably a case of they couldn't get anyone better on Nine as the rest are on other stations (Fox has O'Keefe, Julian, and either Waugh, Symonds or Warne as the 3rd/4th guy).

The international feed isn't good (though I like Jones) but I think contracting might have had something to do with it. As Clarke is a free agent and Slater seems to be in the doghouse with 7.
The international feed is predominantly made up of commentators who are popular in India really.

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hopefully this puts to bed the notion that Slater is decent when he's not in Australian conditions. He's with arguably some of the best commentators in the game and he's still 'over the top' poor. It's just cringe worthy and even Clarke is showing him up.

nobbyiscool

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
Have clarke and slats seemed worse than usual?

Some of it has just been really off almost like they have both been having a few drinks during the games.
I'm not as hard on commentary as most of the commenters on this board. Nor was I as hard on Clarke as a player as many were, especially after that Cape Town innings where he gutsed out Morne Morkel beating his arse and scored a big hunj.

But **** me, he is the worst commentator I've ever heard. Speaks in cliches, talks too much, adds absolutely nothing to the vision (in fact actively detracts from it), and has a super annoying voice to cap it off.

Richard Pryor

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have clarke and slats seemed worse than usual?

Some of it has just been really off almost like they have both been having a few drinks during the games.
Clarke hasn't learnt how you're meant to talk as a commentator and sounds like he's discussing the game at the pub or at a barbecue. At this point he's never going to improve.

Top Bottom