Channel 7 commentary whinge thread 2018-19

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
you think ch9 cricket commentary was bad, well I reckon ch7 will be worse. ch7 has a history of over dramatizing everything and laying on the schmaltz thicker than any other channel does.
maybe i'll be wrong and they'll be great, but I cant say I like too many of those as commentators, bar Ponting, Katich and Nannes, plus something about Slater gives me the creeps, so i'm not too hopeful.

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MVFC, Everton, Red Sox, Bruins
you think ch9 cricket commentary was bad, well I reckon ch7 will be worse. ch7 has a history of over dramatizing everything and laying on the schmaltz thicker than any other channel does.
maybe i'll be wrong and they'll be great, but I cant say I like too many of those as commentators, bar Ponting, Katich and Nannes, plus something about Slater gives me the creeps, so i'm not too hopeful.
The cross promotions are going to be painful but I hope the commentary is tolerable. Think I’ll be sticking with Fox but I will switch to Seven when Ponting is on for sure.

A former Sheffield Shield batsman who played for both WA and South Australia, Brayshaw will also be one of three ball-by-ball callers, along with veteran sports all-rounder Tim Lane and English broadcaster Alison Mitchell.

The trio will rotate in 40-minute stints, supported by a two expert analysts at a time including Ricky Ponting, Glenn McGrath, Michael Slater, Damien Fleming and Simon Katich.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/cricke...livery-for-channel-7s-coverage-ng-b881038019z

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
A former Sheffield Shield batsman who played for both WA and South Australia, Brayshaw will also be one of three ball-by-ball callers, along with veteran sports all-rounder Tim Lane and English broadcaster Alison Mitchell.

The trio will rotate in 40-minute stints, supported by a two expert analysts at a time including Ricky Ponting, Glenn McGrath, Michael Slater, Damien Fleming and Simon Katich.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/cricke...livery-for-channel-7s-coverage-ng-b881038019z

That's a decent line up that they've assembled, Brayshaw is a good commentator despite not playing test cricket, kind of like an Aussie Mark Nicholas.

I'd prefer Nannes to McGrath even though he hasn't played test cricket either, McGrath has the test cricket credentials but he can be painful to listen to.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That's a decent line up that they've assembled, Brayshaw is a good commentator despite not playing test cricket, kind of like an Aussie Mark Nicholas.

I'd prefer Nannes to McGrath even though he hasn't played test cricket either, McGrath has the test cricket credentials but he can be painful to listen to.
Ehhh. I think James Brayshaws one man hype train for Glenn Maxwell in the South Africa ODI series a few years back is half the reason everyone hated the guy for a while.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers

Tim Lane calling cricket. I just cannot picture it.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
44757603_574827169633543_889826829342717186_n.jpg

How many commentators do they need? Every list I seem to read has an extra couple added on from the last list I read.

They’d probably do 1-2 tests each with the main ones being there every test

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
How many commentators do they need? Every list I seem to read has an extra couple added on from the last list I read.

It could end up being like The Chaser's election desk.

The-Chasers-Election-Desk-1200x600.jpg

They need that many because they'll have days where they have to have a team for the test coverage during the day and a team for the Big Bash at night. Add in the travel between Big Bash games and they need plenty of commentators.

Back