Channel 7 commentary whinge thread 2018-19

Weird thing to get upset over, and he is a cult figure among Indian fans at this point.
Not to mention every Aus fan I know loved the photo taken with Paine's wife. Not sure what the complaint is about JB's statement. People just like complaining about the commentary teams even when they're on the money, I guess.

Jun 13, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Slats infecting Alison and Ed for an whole over about not having a pool and wanting to know if he could borrow some budgie smugglers from Cowan.

All off the back of a "classic" catch of a.kid diving into a pool.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Slats infecting Alison and Ed for an whole over about not having a pool and wanting to know if he could borrow some budgie smugglers from Cowan.

All off the back of a "classic" catch of a.kid diving into a pool.
Wait, 7 has Ed Cowan now? That’s a big positive

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know it's become ubiquitous now, but I still can't stand "batter". It sounds grammatically horrible.

Bowler rolls off the tongue and has always sounded fine. Batter sounds like what some bogan under 10s kid would say.

Batsman will do just fine thanks

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Man Seven is incompetent at running the coverage. This segment has been great, but McAvaney bringing up "How far have we come from your day with the diverse commentators!" out of the blue and then saying he's got someone in his ear telling him to bring it up when Lane pointed out how out of the blue it was.

If they wanted him to talk about it you'd think they would tell him beforehand so he could weave it in organically instead of telling him to do it on the fly.

Last edited:

troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
I rag on him endlessly for his football commentary these days, but I will say this: Bruce does these interviews well, better than he does in football actually.

Good to listen to Lane and Maxwell too.

Was going to post something similar. Good to see 7 speaking to print journalists too. Nice to hear from Lane and Maxwell as well. Can't recall Nein ever speaking to anyone other than their own talent.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know these MKR ads are all clever editing and with young blokes playing a role and following a script, but I still couldn't help wonder where those two young blokes would end up on the Navarro Psychopath spectrum? They certainly do a good brand of crazy-eye. Can't remember their names though. ETA: Josh and Austin.

Still not gonna watch any of it though.

Last edited:
Mel McLaughlin smiling reminds me of the purple embarrassed smilie :$

im blushing

I know it's become ubiquitous now, but I still can't stand "batter". It sounds grammatically horrible.

Bowler rolls off the tongue and has always sounded fine. Batter sounds like what some bogan under 10s kid would say.

Batsman will do just fine thanks

agreed. when and who the hell decreed that batter be used??!?!

Was going to post something similar. Good to see 7 speaking to print journalists too. Nice to hear from Lane and Maxwell as well. Can't recall Nein ever speaking to anyone other than their own talent.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Those segments with Haigh and Lalor have been some of my favourite parts from the coverage. More of it please.

Back