Channel 7 commentary whinge thread 2018-19

Michael Slater and Michael Clarke will be torture to the ears if Davey Warner fires during the World Cup.
Are they both commentating in the World Cup?

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Slater wasn't a bad commentator at all when he first started.

His demise as a decent commentator seem to happen in sync with the general demise of quality at channel 9.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Could they have come up with a worse commentary team? Only just started watching the WC as I have been watching the tennis for the last couple of weeks and tonight have heard both Michael Clarke and Lisa Sthaleka. Clarke makes my ears bleed and Sthaleka destroys my brain cells.

Could they have come up with a worse commentary team? Only just started watching the WC as I have been watching the tennis for the last couple of weeks and tonight have heard both Michael Clarke and Lisa Sthaleka. Clarke makes my ears bleed and Sthaleka destroys my brain cells.

International feed: Clarke, Slater, Jones
Nine break team: Maddern, Taylor, Healy, Sthalekar

This from the country that once had Benaud, Lawry and Greig fronting their coverage.

International feed: Clarke, Slater, Jones
Nine break team: Maddern, Taylor, Healy, Sthalekar

This from the country that once had Benaud, Lawry and Greig fronting their coverage.
Probably a case of they couldn't get anyone better on Nine as the rest are on other stations (Fox has O'Keefe, Julian, and either Waugh, Symonds or Warne as the 3rd/4th guy).

The international feed isn't good (though I like Jones) but I think contracting might have had something to do with it. As Clarke is a free agent and Slater seems to be in the doghouse with 7.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Probably a case of they couldn't get anyone better on Nine as the rest are on other stations (Fox has O'Keefe, Julian, and either Waugh, Symonds or Warne as the 3rd/4th guy).

The international feed isn't good (though I like Jones) but I think contracting might have had something to do with it. As Clarke is a free agent and Slater seems to be in the doghouse with 7.

The international feed is predominantly made up of commentators who are popular in India really.

The international feed is predominantly made up of commentators who are popular in India really.
True I guess. It just feels annoying because everyone else typically got the best of the bunch (Nasser and Atherton in England, Holding and Bishop in the WIndies, Pollock and Smith in SA)

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Have clarke and slats seemed worse than usual?

Some of it has just been really off almost like they have both been having a few drinks during the games.

I'm not as hard on commentary as most of the commenters on this board. Nor was I as hard on Clarke as a player as many were, especially after that Cape Town innings where he gutsed out Morne Morkel beating his arse and scored a big hunj.

But * me, he is the worst commentator I've ever heard. Speaks in cliches, talks too much, adds absolutely nothing to the vision (in fact actively detracts from it), and has a super annoying voice to cap it off.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Have clarke and slats seemed worse than usual?

Some of it has just been really off almost like they have both been having a few drinks during the games.
Clarke hasn't learnt how you're meant to talk as a commentator and sounds like he's discussing the game at the pub or at a barbecue. At this point he's never going to improve.

MJG14

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
That's actually true. Surprised that Brett Lee hasn't been given a stint, or Matthew Hayden who seems to be popular over there for some reason.

Back