Channel 7 once again sparing us from women commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

they've got absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but you bought them up, mentioning ALP policy, in which I can only assume you're referring to some form of affirmative action or something

Are there not also men only institutions e.g. gyms, social clubs, clubs, commentary teams?

Yes, but the difference is men don't feel the need to inject themselves into them whereas whenever there's a male only example, it triggers certain elements into putting women into these places and to call them sexist.

This is a perfect example of the self serving bullshit nonsense that derails all of the great work our country and our communities work for that allows us to live in this great country. Yes there are massive problems with equality on all fronts but the changes on serious issues are always changing for the good, petty bullshit like these arguments are brought to our attention only to serve selfish reasons, make no mistake. To touch on this story though here is the thing, the article ridicules a game and network that has been nothing but supportive of change which is unfair. Secondly the story neglects to tell us that the 'new' line up is e same as last year with 2 new full time recruits in Jim Bartel and daisy Pearce ( Yes, has gone from part time to FT). I lean to the left in general but this crap is the reason we give up.

Agreed but I think the 'massive problems' are in the family court that favour women to a ridiculous degree but all the focus is on crap like football commentary or the apparent wage gap which I personally am not convinced of.

Agreed but I think the 'massive problems' are in the family court that favour women to a ridiculous degree but all the focus is on crap like football commentary or the apparent wage gap which I personally am not convinced of.

You may not be convinced of it but it exists. My mother interviewed for and took on the managerial role at her work that had opened up after a male manager had left - she got the job and her first and second contract offer were WELL under what the previous guy had received. Now this may be an organisation saving costs and it's only one example but it's an example you hear time and time again if you actually listen to people. I agree with you re: family court but had to pipe in re: your other assertion.

ah yes the 'massive problems' regarding gender equality are limited to the family court

and the wage gap is a myth

fmd you guys are cliche neckbeards
Who is 'you guys'? Is falls into exactly my point of selfish extremism where anyone with a different view is categoried the same way. You may or may not have meant to include me but that term felt like I was included in the posters beliefs because he responded to my post. And to finish a vague, irreverent comment designed to insight more extreme feelings does the same damage I spoke about in my original post. Things are getting better, we need to be patient and move them along which has been working for the last 3 decades but has come to a crashing halt because of people wanting personal recognition for change, hence ask for change for changes sake, ie changing traffic lights from men to women, letting pre school kids celebrate Xmas and Easter ( not even religiously, just the fun presents, eater eggs, etc), berating ch7 for not having a female while not arguing about who they could've sacked to replace them with and also not acknowledging them hiring a female full time for the season. making good people feel guilty does more harm than you realise. Play the ball not the man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mother interviewed for and took on the managerial role at her work that had opened up after a male manager had left - she got the job and her first and second contract offer were WELL under what the previous guy had received.

Surely the remuneration was negotiated (being a managerial role without a pre-determined salary attached)?

My experience is that people who progress tend to be good talkers.

You may not be convinced of it but it exists. My mother interviewed for and took on the managerial role at her work that had opened up after a male manager had left - she got the job and her first and second contract offer were WELL under what the previous guy had received. Now this may be an organisation saving costs and it's only one example but it's an example you hear time and time again if you actually listen to people. I agree with you re: family court but had to pipe in re: your other assertion.

Was that an individual contract as opposed to an award wage? I can't understand why they'd pay her less and if I was her I'd kick up a stink and or report them.

ah yes the 'massive problems' regarding gender equality are limited to the family court

and the wage gap is a myth

fmd you guys are cliche neckbeards

Do tell us where the problems in gender inequality lie seeing as though everyone is apparently a mental pygmy compared to you.

Who gives two shits what Tracy Spicer thinks. All these feminazis can **** off
Charming.

Sometimes I think "why do I let clueless, bigoted dickheads exist on BigFooty?"

Then I think about the endless entertainment we get watching them flail about, embarrassing themselves with their shitty, small opinions.

Dance for us, little person. Dance!

Neither of these are what I meant with 'massive issues'. I'm talking about that we live in a county where everyone is are actually treated as equals, in this country women are ( I absolutely believe that there are a small percentage that have truly been discriminated for their sex). The issue I have with the outrage is that the protests are happening in countries where women actually have equal rights. That probably sounds harsh but let me tell you about me and my family. Immigrants from Greece, straight off the boat into working in a factory ( both mum and dad), lived in a share house in pt Melb with my parents, 2 sets of uncle and aunties, and my siblings and cousins, 14 all up. Long story short, those 3 families -who couldn't even speak English, went on to put aall me and my cousins through private schools and own business that employes over 300 people. That story is important because they would always tells us and point them out ( if I was in the car getting dad to work we would get rocked, abused and spat on) and dad would calmly say, "these guys are angry that I've taken his job but he's always here before me " I never knew what it meant but now I love it, and these comments are the same. Stop playing the victim, it's 40 years later and it still rings true, people would rather do. Itching and blame someone that tries rather than have a go.

Ugh, this thread illustrates why it's a sausage fest in here.

+ 1 for Neroli, she's great

Neroli meadows is very good at what she does. I think Tiffany Cherry is very good as well. Even Sam Lane is good at what she does. even Caroline Wilson has her moments.

On the other hand Kelly Underwoods delivery and tone just drives me up the wall and Anna harrington just comes across like an amateur IMO.

Also a big fan of Tracy Holmes voice work for the ABC

Neither of these are what I meant with 'massive issues'. I'm talking about that we live in a county where everyone is are actually treated as equals, in this country women are ( I absolutely believe that there are a small percentage that have truly been discriminated for their sex). The issue I have with the outrage is that the protests are happening in countries where women actually have equal rights. That probably sounds harsh but let me tell you about me and my family. Immigrants from Greece, straight off the boat into working in a factory ( both mum and dad), lived in a share house in pt Melb with my parents, 2 sets of uncle and aunties, and my siblings and cousins, 14 all up. Long story short, those 3 families -who couldn't even speak English, went on to put aall me and my cousins through private schools and own business that employes over 300 people. That story is important because they would always tells us and point them out ( if I was in the car getting dad to work we would get rocked, abused and spat on) and dad would calmly say, "these guys are angry that I've taken his job but he's always here before me " I never knew what it meant but now I love it, and these comments are the same. Stop playing the victim, it's 40 years later and it still rings true, people would rather do. Itching and blame someone that tries rather than have a go.
Are we equal though? We may be in legal rights but that doesn't mean that we are equal. Women are still looked at as being people who will leave a work place because she has to go get pregnant/ look after the kids. It's is the average pay that is so low for women. This is because we are still treated as secondary income earners.
Feminism for me is more about social issues eg the right to not be sexually assulated walking down the street or in the work place, domestic violence(which is working for both male and female victims), I want to go to the football and not have sexist comments made st me. I am a woman and I experience sexism quite frequently and I know a lot of women who do.
It I think you have more than moved away from the topic at hand, so please feel free to private message me if you want to continue what has been a fabulous discussion on how I am equal.

Honestly if there are women who are good at football commentary, why would you want to work for channel 7 or any channel?
Even if she deserves it on merit there will always be people who claim she only got there because of 'political correctness'.
So she's got 100% more pressure on her than any of her male counterparts. She's going to be stressed every day and scared because she's seen the comments made about other women involved in the AFL and let's face it they are all either about their looks or about how hey don't know anything. She's terrified she's going to slip up because she knows the public will scrutinise her to death, then she gets fired because 'she doesn't fit the mould' meanwhile no one bats an eyelid at Hamish McLaughlin or Brian Taylor

Lol. There are women only gyms, women only train carriages, women only social clubs etc etc. Men don't feel the need to call them sexist and stop them from happening. I know who the mental Pygmy is and if you can't contribute without insulting people then check yourself.

You realize, of course, that a primary reason such carriages, such clubs, such gyms etc etc exist is to protect their users from men. It's not an act of sexism, it's an act of safety.

Historically there has been a tendency to give commentary roles to past players, regardless of skill, which has created a barrier for women. The reality is that most of the people in commentary are not there on merit. It's a boys club and not a particularly talented one at that.

There is absolutely no reason why a women couldn't do the job as well as Brian Taylor. There is no reason why they couldn't do the job as well as Hamish or Basil.

More broadly football commentary is a mainly an amateur affair. It could be improved by identifying professional callers of both the male and female persuasion.

I watch a lot of US sports and women play a much bigger role in the presentation. Sometimes in commentary and sometimes as the sidelines reporter. No reason why it cannot be the same with AFL.

I watch a lot of US sports and women play a much bigger role in the presentation.

They tend to be 'window dressing' though, barely a step up from grid girls, dancing girls/cheer leaders etc... It's blatantly obvious that most ( besides a handful of exceptions) got the gig based mainly on their looks rather than their knowledge of the sport they're reporting on. The same applies for women hired for 'political' discussions as well, hardly any average looking women on political panels from what I've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back