Channel 7, please show us classic games during the shutdown.

Remove this Banner Ad

dD1NYWluSW1hZ2U

Hope they show the extra time final north v Hawks at Waverley. Both utterly disgusting clubs. Good game though.

After both teams entering r14 undefeated and played this classic , from memory both lost following week
Ummm St.Kilda went to Perth the following week and beat the eagles by 4 goals. But close ...
What happened to M Gardiner after this?
Don’t recall him being a factor at all 09 or 2010 GFs
King and Gardiner went head to head with Ottens and Blake in 09. Overall call it a 50/50 draw. That result is probably a significant factor in why Geelong won the flag

2010: Pulled a hammy in the 2nd qtr of GF1. I am biased, but IMO if he plays the full game we probably win. McEvoy played the replay. After that performance, not too sure many saints fans gave a f**k when he got traded to Hawthorn for Dunstan and a half eaten packet of potato chips

Ummm St.Kilda went to Perth the following week and beat the eagles by 4 goals. But close ...

King and Gardiner went head to head with Ottens and Blake in 09. Overall call it a 50/50 draw. That result is probably a significant factor in why Geelong won the flag

2010: Pulled a hammy in the 2nd qtr of GF1. I am biased, but IMO if he plays the full game we probably win. McEvoy played the replay. After that performance, not too sure many saints fans gave a f**k when he got traded to Hawthorn for Dunstan and a half eaten packet of potato chips
McEvoy though ended up a pretty good player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well doesn't this show up Chris Scott for being lost in nostalgic la-la land.

2017-19 Tigers would annihilate both these Geelong and Saints teams, their defensive structures wouldn't cope with chaos counter-attacks, there is space everywhere!!

(not knocking the sides, who were great in their era, but they wouldn't beat the top side today)

THat’s symptomatic of game play evolution. I wouldn’t be quick to dismiss either geelong or sr Kilda with the talent they had on their lists.

I watched the classic 2009 game between Geelong & St. Kilda on YouTube while 7Mate was replaying it for the Aussie audience. Great game! I flew back to Melbourne (from San Francisco) to attend the 2009 Grand Final with my mom. She basically said - "the Saints may never get to another Grand Final again in your lifetime!" Little did she know they would return in 2010. Thankfully, I didn't fly back for that game. Gutted.

THat’s symptomatic of game play evolution. I wouldn’t be quick to dismiss either geelong or sr Kilda with the talent they had on their lists.
I just finished reading "Time and Space" by James Coventry to learn more about game play evolution in AFL. For a fan of any sport, it's fascinating to see the transition in AFL and compare that to other world sports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back