Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
With the news today that Channel 9 will pick up the Tennis rights from 2019 I thought I would start a thread specifically on their coverage as news will come out over the next few months

They have to pull together a fairly large commentary team quickly.

Who do you think they will use from their existing sports coverage and who do you think they will target?

Will be interesting to see who they get. Agree that big $$ will be thrown at current tennis commentators to get them on board to do the actual match commentary.
Off court the hosts/roving reporters will probably come from this list below.
James Bracey, Clint Stanaway, Cam Williams, Erin Molan, Tim Gilbert, Leila McKinnon, Liz Ellis, Emma Freeman etc

Sam Groth would be keen to be involved.

Ken Sutcliffe might get poached out of retirement? Eddie McGuire as a back up option to host.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'm trying to think who they used to have. Stolle, Newc, Woodforde come to mind. They might go all out for McEnroe for the publicity.

In the 90's their team was Tony Trabert, Fred Stollie, Brad Drewitt, Newk and Bettsy Nagalson.

I think they will sign Dokic. While she is doing some work for Seven she is not associated with Seven's tennis cocerage as much as as Stubbs so will be seen as a new face.

They will want Darren Cahill, he is an experienced tennis commentator and another new face, its just if he has time during the Australian summer while coaching Halep.

One from real left field to host is Mark Nicholas if he doesn't do cricket coverage for someone. He has hosted all kinds of sport coverage and TV shows in the UK.

Last edited:

here we go

For me

John McEnroe (over-rated):thumbsdown:
Jim Courier :thumbsu::thumbsu:
Alicia Molik (yuck. Go Aussie go and not much else) :thumbsdown:
Todd Woodbridge (I rate. Good poach) :thumbsu:
Jelena Dokic :thumbsu::thumbsu: (good up and comer)
Sam Groth :think: :thumbsu: (never heard him too much)
Dylan Alcott :thumbsu: (from what little he has done, I have liked)

Lacks a big international WTA commentator. A Sam Smith or a Tracy Austin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm. Can't win em all but I like McEnroe, Courier and Dokic which is more than I can say watching a lot of sports. Hopefully the hosts are really just hosting, not the quasi commentary role that the likes of Basil had at 7.

I personally like Adam Peacock and I guess Rebecca Madden will do the hosting. Who is Tony Jones? Tennis won't be the same without Sam Smith. There is a Scottish female commentator called Claire ? she is commentating at the moment in Montreal. She is not bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back