Channel 9 Australian Open Television Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall it was a good coverage and ch9 got the commentary right. Though they didn't need McEnroe, I did enjoy listening to the other international commentators who usually cover the ATP games on cable . These guys are professional who stick to tennis talk.
It was a nice break from the irrelevant chatter we would hear from Hamish and Basil

Toby Jones was a complete fail

Overall the AO coverage was good. Probably could have used the secondary channel up til the end of day 8. Not a big fan of mcenroe but as mentioned, this enabled courier to do many more matches, which i enjoyed.

But Tony Jones is completely classless, has little to no tennis knowledge and understanding, is an oaf. Surely channel 9 have someone better to be the lead host of the coverage.

Except the fact that John McEnroe is the last person in tennis to ever criticize another player's behaviour.

Kyrgios is the Australian "John McEnroe" with the Grand Slams to show for it.

Having McEnroe criticise any player on behaviour is akin to if Serena Williams criticised another player for bagging an umpire.

a bit late with this as I never logged back in, but as @JamisonRun40 says, McEnroe's on-court behaviour, however bad it was, was part of the attitude and drive to help him win multiple slams.

In contrast, Kyrgios and Tomic are mentally fragile - quitters, and that's what McEnroe is alluding to.

Last edited:
Overall the AO coverage was good. Probably could have used the secondary channel up til the end of day 8. Not a big fan of mcenroe but as mentioned, this enabled courier to do many more matches, which i enjoyed.

But Tony Jones is completely classless, has little to no tennis knowledge and understanding, is an oaf. Surely channel 9 have someone better to be the lead host of the coverage.

the first few weeks of 2019 has the rest of the country (outside Vic) realisng how s**t a sports broadcaster Tony Jones is. We didn't get much or anything of him up here in NSW before this year's AUS open and Today. I went to bed before the Osaka interview, but I made a comment to my missus that we'll hear about it in the morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Ash Barty getting a dud draw from Ch9 by not getting a Primetime spot? Being Australian, number 1 and crowd favourite would give her some credits or do Ch9 have no faith in her?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

She would have requested to play during the day.

Was it Stosur on commentary? Only caught a bit of it at work.

Enjoy how harmless the coverage has been. Less irritation factor compared to C7.

That said, I don't like McEnroe, he injects that American Sports Commentator vibe which Courier thankfully never quite had. McEnroe offers nothing but detraction for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back