Chapecoense plane crash tragedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw a picture on facebook posted by fox sports of the players that didn't make the flight in tears in their dressing room.

The thought of losing not only your team mates, but your mates to a terrible tragedy is just heartbreaking.

RIP to the deceased.:(

Apparently they were also dubbed the 'Brazilian Leicester' too - think they had achieved numerous promotions in a short period of time.

Putting the thought cap on for just a moment.

Actually, after some thinking about it, I actually think we'd be the best fit after considering everything. It was between us and Bournemouth that I was trying to figure out the best fit. They were 4th tier in 2007, while we were 3rd in 2008, so our lowest point at about the same time. They built a squad with the familiar faces and good honest hard work, to continental football. kinda like what we did as well, which made them very popular with other Brazilians. Also, let's not forget that they're only the 6th biggest city in Santa Catarina (2nd bottom state of Brazil, and pretty must the most 'developed' state in the country), which wouldn't even place them in the top 100 in Brazil with about 200,000 people (they're very inland, you see, closer to Argentina's border than the coast). They were overall a well managed side that did it 'clean,' and in Brazillian football, that's a little trickier than you may think!

In fact, these guys were one of the first clubs to actually ask if we could play a friendly with them, and even congratulated us when we fully won the title:

Of course, this tragedy (RIP and my condolences to the families) does threaten their reputation (who is going to remember their built up reputation from before and can't see beyond the accident?) and potentially may affect them in the future in redevelopment (Lets hope it's more Man United than Torino) From what I hear, of the three survivors, the reserve keeper had to get his right leg amputated, there was a relief call that Alan Ruschel is not going to be a quadriplegic (Thank goodness for that too), but if that's the prognosis, then it's possible that walking will be a challenge let alone a career (serious damage to his back). The fullback Neto looks to be in a decent state all things considered. But of course the big major one is not the body, but the mind. Even if fully fit (and forgetting about age, I know he's 31), Survivor's Guilt alone would lead to retirement. How do you get back onto the pitch after knowing that you survived that? Heck, what about those that didn't even get on the plane due to being reserves or injuries/suspension like Martinuccio, who he himself was looking to make a comeback after two knee operations and being out for a long time?

As things stand now, minus Rushel, but including Neto, there's only 11 senior players left at the club now, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them might call it quits after all that. Some might fight for the pride of carrying on what their teammates have left, and you'd hope that will be the case. Mercifully, the South American off-season is basically upon the continent, a chance to recover somewhat and think about how exactly are they going to bounce back from this horrible tragedy. The loans will be a start, but there is a lot of development to be had. If true that they may be given exemption from relegation for three years, that should be enough to rebuild them into a somewhat competitive team in the league (please note that presidents of the club have signed off on this request, all of them.) It's going to be tough, but who knows what could spring up after such events?

You think for just a moment that this happens extremely often in the Champions League, which is exactly what these guys were doing flying for their own final, and see how much we take it for granted.

Just saw a picture on facebook posted by fox sports of the players that didn't make the flight in tears in their dressing room.

The thought of losing not only your team mates, but your mates to a terrible tragedy is just heartbreaking.

RIP to the deceased.:(
The guilt too. I know one of the players didnt go because he was injured. If he hadnt gotten injured, he would have been on the plane too.

Plus fate is a weird thing. Lose the semi final and this never happens.

Crazy world :(

The fullback Neto looks to be in a decent state all things considered. But of course the big major one is not the body, but the mind. Even if fully fit (and forgetting about age, I know he's 31), Survivor's Guilt alone would lead to retirement. How do you get back onto the pitch after knowing that you survived that? Heck, what about those that didn't even get on the plane due to being reserves or injuries/suspension like Martinuccio, who he himself was looking to make a comeback after two knee operations and being out for a long time?.

Just on Neto - here in AFL we have something that's as close to a precedent as we could get with Jason McCartney after the Bali bombings. That he worked so hard to get back to fitness and able to play a game, only to retire, would've been a huge personal triumph for him and for the victims of the bombings.

Neto may find some sort of similar drive.

Not sure if it's accurate but I saw a headline saying the plane that crashed actually carried the Argentinian national side only a few weeks ago. Scary stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting the thought cap on for just a moment.

Actually, after some thinking about it, I actually think we'd be the best fit after considering everything. It was between us and Bournemouth that I was trying to figure out the best fit. They were 4th tier in 2007, while we were 3rd in 2008, so our lowest point at about the same time. They built a squad with the familiar faces and good honest hard work, to continental football. kinda like what we did as well, which made them very popular with other Brazilians. Also, let's not forget that they're only the 6th biggest city in Santa Catarina (2nd bottom state of Brazil, and pretty must the most 'developed' state in the country), which wouldn't even place them in the top 100 in Brazil with about 200,000 people (they're very inland, you see, closer to Argentina's border than the coast). They were overall a well managed side that did it 'clean,' and in Brazillian football, that's a little trickier than you may think!

In fact, these guys were one of the first clubs to actually ask if we could play a friendly with them, and even congratulated us when we fully won the title:

Of course, this tragedy (RIP and my condolences to the families) does threaten their reputation (who is going to remember their built up reputation from before and can't see beyond the accident?) and potentially may affect them in the future in redevelopment (Lets hope it's more Man United than Torino) From what I hear, of the three survivors, the reserve keeper had to get his right leg amputated, there was a relief call that Alan Ruschel is not going to be a quadriplegic (Thank goodness for that too), but if that's the prognosis, then it's possible that walking will be a challenge let alone a career (serious damage to his back). The fullback Neto looks to be in a decent state all things considered. But of course the big major one is not the body, but the mind. Even if fully fit (and forgetting about age, I know he's 31), Survivor's Guilt alone would lead to retirement. How do you get back onto the pitch after knowing that you survived that? Heck, what about those that didn't even get on the plane due to being reserves or injuries/suspension like Martinuccio, who he himself was looking to make a comeback after two knee operations and being out for a long time?

As things stand now, minus Rushel, but including Neto, there's only 11 senior players left at the club now, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them might call it quits after all that. Some might fight for the pride of carrying on what their teammates have left, and you'd hope that will be the case. Mercifully, the South American off-season is basically upon the continent, a chance to recover somewhat and think about how exactly are they going to bounce back from this horrible tragedy. The loans will be a start, but there is a lot of development to be had. If true that they may be given exemption from relegation for three years, that should be enough to rebuild them into a somewhat competitive team in the league (please note that presidents of the club have signed off on this request, all of them.) It's going to be tough, but who knows what could spring up after such events?

You think for just a moment that this happens extremely often in the Champions League, which is exactly what these guys were doing flying for their own final, and see how much we take it for granted.

I read one of the players who stayed behind, Nivaldo has retired as well. He didn't travel because he was due to make his 300th appearance at their next home game where he would then retire as well.

Can't imagine how hard it's going to be for them to rebuild the club. Just getting players in is one thing. They might have lost that camaraderie and magic they had. Hopefully as you suggested the tragedy won't come to define their legacy.

I remember watching a football (gridiron kind) movie a few years ago called We Are Marshall where the vast majority of the players and coaching and support staff were killed in a plane crash and how hard it was for the town to recover and heal from the events; as well as the struggles in rebuilding the team essentially from scratch. Eerily similar to this tragedy.

Not sure if it's accurate but I saw a headline saying the plane that crashed actually carried the Argentinian national side only a few weeks ago. Scary stuff.

Was also reading this morning that the plane was flying on the absolute limits of it's range, and ended up running out of fuel. Hence no explosion.

If that's the case then there's going to be some very hard questions asked, as there should be

Yep 15th November Argentina played Colombia in a World Cup qualifier.

Plane would have been carrying the likes of Messi, Aguero, Di Maria, Higuain etc

Was also reading this morning that the plane was flying on the absolute limits of it's range, and ended up running out of fuel. Hence no explosion.

If that's the case then there's going to be some very hard questions asked, as there should be

Apparently this is the case. They had planned to refuel at Bogota airport (500km before Medellin) but the Captain pressed on because he thought he could make Medellin. The captain was the owner of the airline so may have done this in an attempt to save money by not having to land for refuelling.

In a tragic coincidence another aircraft at the very same time declared a mayday due fuel leak. This caused the Lamia crew to circle and then run out of fuel due to them pushing the absolute limits of the aircraft.

Sounds like this was a totally unnecessary & avoidable accident.

Last edited:
Very sad isn't it. I've never been a particularly good flyer it just never feels natural to me being in a big * off box up in the clouds. I do hope the club pulls through in some way and that those left behind are supported in every way possible.

Just imagine this happening to your own club. Would feel like a death in the family wouldn't it

The Brazilian Fox Sports is showing a black screen with the hashtag #90minutesofsilence as the CL game was meant to be being played at the moment.
That's a nice touch I reckon. Watching football would seem pretty irrelevant for many Brazilians just now.

Apparently this is the case. They had planned to refuel at Bogota airport (500km before Medellin) but the Captain pressed on because he thought he could make Medellin. The captain was the owner of the airline so may have done this in an attempt to save money by not having to land for refuelling.

In a tragic coincidence another aircraft at the very same time declared a mayday due fuel leak. This caused the Lamia crew to circle and then run out of fuel due to them pushing the absolute limits of the aircraft.

Sounds like this was a totally unnecessary & avoidable accident.

Fixed for you. Certainly sounds like it was avoidable if this is the case

Fixed for you. Certainly sounds like it was avoidable if this is the case

It's been pretty much confirmed they ran out of fuel. The ATC tape has been leaked where the pilot can be heard in Spanish saying "we are without fuel and need to land urgently". Can't link on my phone but a quick Google will bring it up.

It's been pretty much confirmed they ran out of fuel. The ATC tape has been leaked where the pilot can be heard in Spanish saying "we are without fuel and need to land urgently". Can't link on my phone but a quick Google will bring it up.

Yeah I believe that was also the testament of one of the flight attendants who has survived

Remove this Banner Ad

Back