Roast Chapman intends to retire (within 12 months) ...

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
From article in "The Advertiser" today, Chapman announces his (eventual) retirement.
Good news: He's going! Oh Happy Day!
Bad News (and a lot of it):
--- he'll stick around long enough to make sure that 2020 is another dud, if not worse, year.
--- he thinks Roo would make a wonderful Chairman (!!)
--- he thinks that Brett Burton is a wonderful Head of Football and will be remembered as an"elite" Head of Football, when he's finished (if only that was asap).
--- he states unequivocally that Pyke has the full support of the Club and the Board, which has been many a Coach's kiss-of-death.
Ugly:
--- knowing the above, the players must know now that the failures of 2019 lie entirely with them, because everybody else has been wonderful.

Mods: if this is covered elsewhere, please merge.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I for one respect any volunteer as I've volunteered myself

Its a service you do that if someone else wants to volunteer their time go for it

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've volunteered, and still do, as well mate.

There is a difference between volunteering, and sitting on the Board of the most prominent sporting club in the State - with all of the benefits and privilege it brings.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've volunteered, and still do, as well mate.

There is a difference between volunteering, and sitting on the Board of the most prominent sporting club in the State - with all of the benefits and privilege it brings.
Not sure if the guy is short of a quid but I'm pretty sure he would do it for the love

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mate give yourself an upper cut, what a ludicrous comparison to make.
Lot more on the line than volunteering at the local muffin stall
Any volunteering is something to be applauded unfortunately some are more time consuming like what I did with having to not only volunteer but need training and being tested on that training every year

Norwood Crow

Debutant
Aug 15, 2008
Toorak Gardens
AFL Club
Adelaide
You can laugh at volunteers but it's pretty easy to without putting in time

Its not as though he needs the title he's pretty qualified you would think

Why would he stay there for 11 years? I think the high profile it provides him gives him more than actual renumeration ever will. Thats why you wouldn't see him volunteering at the Hutt Street homeless centre for example, although he could definately be of more use there shelling out the evening meal.

Norwood Crow

Debutant
Aug 15, 2008
Toorak Gardens
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why would he stay there for 11 years? I think the high profile it provides him gives him more than actual renumeration ever will. Thats why you wouldn't see him volunteering at the Hutt Street homeless centre for example, although he could definately be of more use there shelling out the evening meal.
Nah take that back, wouldn't wish Chapman on those poor unfortunate souls.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Probably because he is clearly qualified to volunteer for the role

Benny bbq can't do it

boffo

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
I noticed this typical self-serving comment from Chapman: 'I think a Chairman should serve 9 to 11 years".

Guess how long he's been Chairman?

Other than Eddie McGuire all other club Chairmen seem to serve about 4-5 years on average. Which is what happened at the Crows too, until Chapman brought his indispensable magic touch.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
You can laugh at volunteers but it's pretty easy to without putting in time

Its not as though he needs the title he's pretty qualified you would think

So you are telling me he actually paid for the seat in business class from Perth to Adelaide?

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I noticed this typical self-serving comment from Chapman: 'I think a Chairman should serve 9 to 11 years".
Other than Eddie McGuire all other club Chairmen seem to serve about 4-5 years on average. Which is what happened at the Crows too, until Chapman brought his indispensable magic touch.
and thank you, for actually referring to the article. :thumbsu:
I was at a seafood joint for lunch when I read it. My lunch was much easier to swallow than Chapman's bs.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
This is covered in about six other threads currently
I looked before posting.
There were no threads on that article. But yes, several others on (get-rid-of) Chapman in general.
The thread's really about Chapman's appraisals of Roo/Burton/Pyke, may the footy Gods help us.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

Yea, that was absolutely ridiculous.

So the ideal time period for a Chairman just happens to be the period that he has been doing it?

An arbitrary figure with nothing to support it.

I'd listen to Kennett, who is actually successful, and has delivered massive and sustained success to his Club - and put a limit of 2 terms on the role.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yea, that was absolutely ridiculous.

So the ideal time period for a Chairman just happens to be the period that he has been doing it?

An arbitrary figure with nothing to support it.

I'd listen to Kennett, who is actually successful, and has delivered massive and sustained success to his Club - and put a limit of 2 terms on the role.

A number of clubs have a maximum term of 8 years just like the US presidency. You need to inject new blood into any administration.

Back