Roast Chapman intends to retire (within 12 months) ...

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is what floored me as well.
I have not seen a single poster in this Board support Burton or said that Burton has done anything even resembling a satisfactory job.
Not ONE. :mad: :mad:
Burton, lanky, loping hanger-taker and fitness nut, fair enough, but ...
Burton, an 'elite' football manager !!! :eek: The man is certifiable.

Not only that, he has pre-empted the terms of the review.

He’s told us the football director is the best in the business and the football manager is going to become “elite.”

So why are we having a review of the football department?

He needs to stand down, immediately, and members should be demanding it.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
If I was brand new to the sport and was picking a club to barrack for, Adelaide would probably be the last on my list.
Events since the 2017 GF have slowly accumulated within me too, like the proverbial straw on the camel's back. GF loss/ Mind Kamp/ hamstring injuries/ lies-and-cover-ups/ 1st-to-12th/ NO sackings, same crap retained (Burton/Hass/Hart/Campo)/ poor development of youth/ losing game plan, and so on ... I'm starting to wish I supported another team which has never happened before.
Yet it's impossible for me to switch allegiance :drunk:.
However, If I was brand new to the sport and was picking a club to barrack for, PORT Adelaide would probably be the last on my list ;). Then maybe Collingwood/Richmond, pretty even :).

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
I see the club's logic.
2016 was decent but we faded when it counted.
2017 was very, very good but again, when it counted we went to water.
Two decent years and everybody thinks; 'okay let's find an edge and get back up there'. Cue collective debacle.
2018 a shocker. Injuries, we went to water for pretty much the entire season.
One bad year and everybody thinks; 'okay we did well in 2016 and 17, let's not change a whole lot, we will bounce back'.

We have not bounced back, and to make matters worse - the players that got us to the pointy end in 2016/17 are all three years older, slower and looking past it. Which was always going to happen.

The logic was there, but it was flawed and the writing was on the wall far earlier than the 2018 debacle.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I see the club's logic.
2016 was decent but we faded when it counted.
2017 was very, very good but again, when it counted we went to water.
Two decent years and everybody thinks; 'okay let's find an edge and get back up there'. Cue collective debacle.
2018 a shocker. Injuries, we went to water for pretty much the entire season.
One bad year and everybody thinks; 'okay we did well in 2016 and 17, let's not change a whole lot, we will bounce back'.

We have not bounced back, and to make matters worse - the players that got us to the pointy end in 2016/17 are all three years older, slower and looking past it. Which was always going to happen.

The logic was there, but it was flawed and the writing was on the wall far earlier than the 2018 debacle.

Can I ask at what time was the writing on the wall you say prior to the 2018 debacle?

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can I ask at what time was the writing on the wall you say prior to the 2018 debacle?

I literally mentioned it in my post.

2016 - when it mattered, when we needed to beat West Coast in R23 to finish top 4, we failed. We then had to go the hard way, and failed against Sydney in an away Semi.
2017 - the Grand Final, as well as other performances throughout the season that raised massive red flags (North loss, Melbourne loss)

Chappy spending forever as chairman, but under 2 years as St.George CEO? I'm sure he only needed under 2 years because he performed so well.
just wanted to take advantage of those all expense paid crows games, flights/accommodation/chauffer transfers etc

it sounds a pretty sweet gig

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I literally mentioned it in my post.

2016 - when it mattered, when we needed to beat West Coast in R23 to finish top 4, we failed. We then had to go the hard way, and failed against Sydney in an away Semi.
2017 - the Grand Final, as well as other performances throughout the season that raised massive red flags (North loss, Melbourne loss)

So After the 2017 GF, your thoughts are go into rebuild mode

OzSparrow

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manly, Glenelg, Liverpool FC

For me, the club has never fully recovered from Phil's death in July 15.

Following Sando's sacking in Sept 14, Phil was appointed with a definite game-plan and style in mind and our recruiting/delistings at that time were all aimed at achieving his stated goals. At that time, Roo was also instrumental in this process and also set about entrenching his premiership mates into the club to help.

I have always believed that the club was also seeking to reinvent its culture and brand with his appointment (similar to what occurred with Blighty's entrance to the club). Fagan's appointment in Oct 2014 was also a big part of this process.

Unfortunately, I believe that we have stagnated in all of these areas post Phil's death and the club has struggled to cement any of its material plans both on-field and off field. To me, 2017 was merely a blip on the radar (similar to Melbourne's blip last year).

Just my thoughts.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
For me, the club has never fully recovered from Phil's death in July 15.

Following Sando's sacking in Sept 14, Phil was appointed with a definite game-plan and style in mind and our recruiting/delistings at that time were all aimed at achieving his stated goals. At that time, Roo was also instrumental in this process and also set about entrenching his premiership mates into the club to help.

I have always believed that the club was also seeking to reinvent its culture and brand with his appointment (similar to what occurred with Blighty's entrance to the club). Fagan's appointment in Oct 2014 was also a big part of this process.

Unfortunately, I believe that we have stagnated in all of these areas post Phil's death and the club has struggled to cement any of its material plans both on-field and off field. To me, 2017 was merely a blip on the radar (similar to Melbourne's blip last year).

Just my thoughts.

Not a bad blip though, we were dominant in 2017 look at the betting odds our scoring was off the charts didn't kick under 100 points, we had 3 players in JJ Tex Betts destroying it

Unfortunatly after halftime on GF day it went extremly pear shaped and those 3 mentioned also went missing

then 2018 we imploded

Mar 26, 2015
The Land of Apricot Slice
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does anyone know who the rumoured premiership player/business man is?

I initially thought David Pittman, but the rumours are that the person lives in Melbourne so I think that rules him out.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pittman said he has 0% interest. I don't know enough about the after-playing careers of most of our guys, so no idea who it could be.

Does anyone know who the rumoured premiership player/business man is?

I initially thought David Pittman, but the rumours are that the person lives in Melbourne so I think that rules him out.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
What is the actual rumour? Premiership player gives (obviously) a finite list to work from.

Peter Caven - business manager - Adelaide
Mark Stevens - builder - Victoria
Mark Ricciuto - publican/media - Adelaide
Tyson Edwards
Shane Ellen
Peter Vardy
Brett James - Farmer - SA
Rod Jameson - Adelaide
David Pittman - partner in sharebroking firm - Adelaide
Matthew Robran
Troy Bond
Darren Jarman
Andrew Eccles
Andrew McLeod - Adelaide
Ben Hart - coach - Adelaide
Mark Bickley- media - Adelaide
Shaun Rehn - Farmer
Matthew Connell - PE teacher - Perth
Kym Koster - salesperson - Adelaide
Aaron Keating
Clay Sampson
Kane Johnson - runs a mindfulness, body and soul business in St Kilda
Nigel Smart -COO AFC - Adelaide
Chad Rintoul - electrician -WA
Simon Goodwin - coach - Melbourne
Ben Marsh
James Thiessen

Last edited:

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
What isbthe actual rumour? Premiership player gives (obviously) a finite list to work from.

Peter Caven - business manager - Adelaide
Mark Stevens - builder - Victoria
Mark Ricciuto - publican/media - Adelaide
Tyson Edwards
Shane Ellen
Peter Vardy
Brett James
Rod Jameson - Adelaide
David Pittman -
Matthew Robran
Troy Bond
Darren Jarman
Andrew Eccles
Andrew McLeod - Adelaide
Ben Hart - coach - Adelaide
Mark Bickley- media - Adelaide
Shaun Rehn - Farmer
Matthew Connell
Kym Koster
Aaron Keating
Clay Sampson
Kane Johnson
Nigel Smart -COO AFC - Adelaide
Chad Rintoul
Simon Goodwin - coach - Melbourne
Ben Marsh
James Thiessen
Theissen coaches my nephews U12 footy team. Not sure what else hes doing

Actually when I looked further into it apparently Rowie and Bicks have said now that it's not a former AFC premiership player.
Well you could have ******* told me before I did that research...

:)

Actually when I looked further into it apparently Rowie and Bicks have said now that it's not a former AFC premiership player.
Tom Harley??

Back