Roast Chapman intends to retire (within 12 months) ...

Remove this Banner Ad

9-11 years is waaaayyyyyy too long for a chairman’s tenure. And Chappy knows that too

Just more self serving spin

I think the optimum tenure time for a CEO/President is now down to 5 years (used to be around 7 a decade or so ago).

Chapman has definitely been there way too long.

For me, the club has never fully recovered from Phil's death in July 15.

Following Sando's sacking in Sept 14, Phil was appointed with a definite game-plan and style in mind and our recruiting/delistings at that time were all aimed at achieving his stated goals. At that time, Roo was also instrumental in this process and also set about entrenching his premiership mates into the club to help.

I have always believed that the club was also seeking to reinvent its culture and brand with his appointment (similar to what occurred with Blighty's entrance to the club). Fagan's appointment in Oct 2014 was also a big part of this process.

Unfortunately, I believe that we have stagnated in all of these areas post Phil's death and the club has struggled to cement any of its material plans both on-field and off field. To me, 2017 was merely a blip on the radar (similar to Melbourne's blip last year).

Just my thoughts.

The AFC does not have a clear plan and vision towards the next flag - the mission statement is to be competitive.

One of the posters on here had that confirmed in a discussion with AFC senior management.

Walsh laid out a definitive plan - '2017, we expect to be challenging for a Flag.'

That mentality is no longer there, it is now, 'we aim to be competitive over the next few years.'

In my time watching footy I don't recall seeing many clubs blow their premiership window with atrocious off field decisions like the afc has. Collingwood discarding a veteran, successful coach for a rookie during a premiership window is the only other example I can think of.

It's insane, right?

We were so close, and should've snagged at least one flag - and then we literally did everything we could to * it up.

Every single appointment since the death of Walsh has been a backward step - and almost every significant decision (ie, Collective Minds, Gibbs trade), has been a disaster.

We haven't shot ourselves in the foot - we've shot ourselves in the face; repeatedly.

What is the actual rumour? Premiership player gives (obviously) a finite list to work from.

Peter Caven - business manager - Adelaide
Mark Stevens - builder - Victoria
Mark Ricciuto - publican/media - Adelaide
Tyson Edwards
Shane Ellen
Peter Vardy
Brett James - Farmer - SA
Rod Jameson - Adelaide
David Pittman - partner in sharebroking firm - Adelaide
Matthew Robran
Troy Bond
Darren Jarman
Andrew Eccles
Andrew McLeod - Adelaide
Ben Hart - coach - Adelaide
Mark Bickley- media - Adelaide
Shaun Rehn - Farmer
Matthew Connell - PE teacher - Perth
Kym Koster - salesperson - Adelaide
Aaron Keating
Clay Sampson
Kane Johnson - runs a mindfulness, body and soul business in St Kilda
Nigel Smart -COO AFC - Adelaide
Chad Rintoul - electrician -WA
Simon Goodwin - coach - Melbourne
Ben Marsh
James Thiessen
That's some serious research there. Kudos! Then ... **KABLOOIE**

Rob is just incredibly lucky that he was involved with a club who have supporters who are so easily pleased (not all). How long would he have lasted at Hawthorn or Geelong?

Lucky for the homeless, if we were involved they would be malnourished and have food poisoning.

The homeless have more integrity and are more organised.

Well you could have ******* told me before I did that research...

:)

It was actually interesting reading the research you provided!

Caro on 5AA saying what a joke Chapman's interview was, and asking the same questions we are - if every one is 'elite' - why are we so s**t, and why do we need a review?

Rowey and Bicks not backing away from it either, which is nice.

Rowe sort of went there when he said Chapman had pre-empted the review (Rowey reads my posts for sure) but he wasn’t strong enough.

For the chairman to say what he said about our football department, shortly before an independent review, is totally out of control.

Rowe sort of went there when he said Chapman had pre-empted the review (Rowey reads my posts for sure) but he wasn’t strong enough.

For the chairman to say what he said about our football department, shortly before an independent review, is totally out of control.

I can’t imagine the level of delusion you’d have to be at to think that’s a good idea.
Rowie is deluded. He thinks once we lose Chapman will come out on Monday and go hard.

Now why would he do the recent interview if that was his intentions? He would have just shut up until the following week.

No, they are now in full arse covering mode where this all is on the players. Which given the issue they’ve got with morale and player retention is so ******* dumb.

This club is run by a pack of selfish morons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the optimum tenure time for a CEO/President is now down to 5 years (used to be around 7 a decade or so ago).

Chapman has definitely been there way too long.

Geelong's had the same CEO for 20+ years and two presidents over the same time.
West Coast's CEO has also been there 20+ years. Their COO has been at the club since 1993 and moved up to COO in 2008.

It's not about tenure - it's about the right person being in the role.

No, they are now in full arse covering mode where this all is on the players.
This!
Is one of the main reasons I started the thread. Chapman's pre-emptive strike said:
"I've been a great Chairman. Roo has been good enough to be the next great Chairman. Burton has been a great, soon-to-be-elite Head of Football. Pyke has our full support".
The ONLY conclusion is that the players have failed.

Events since the 2017 GF have slowly accumulated within me too, like the proverbial straw on the camel's back. GF loss/ Mind Kamp/ hamstring injuries/ lies-and-cover-ups/ 1st-to-12th/ NO sackings, same crap retained (Burton/Hass/Hart/Campo)/ poor development of youth/ losing game plan, and so on ... I'm starting to wish I supported another team which has never happened before.
Yet it's impossible for me to switch allegiance :drunk:.
However, If I was brand new to the sport and was picking a club to barrack for, PORT Adelaide would probably be the last on my list ;). Then maybe Collingwood/Richmond, pretty even :).

It’s a measure of the hopelessness being felt. I’ve wondered to myself whether it is truly possible to change teams. I thought about the Bulldogs, the animal which I have much affinity towards. I’d watch them play, learn who’s who but would the passion ever really be there and would I really be able to not want Adelaide to win. The Chapman and Fagan led Crows with their incompetence, spin and outright lies are forcing these questions.

Last edited:
This!
Is one of the main reasons I started the thread. Chapman's pre-emptive strike said:
"I've been a great Chairman. Roo has been good enough to be the next great Chairman. Burton has been a great, soon-to-be-elite Head of Football. Pyke has our full support".
The ONLY conclusion is that the players have failed.
Roo can give the excuse he didn't fail as a player no wonder he can blame the players unless they play like him

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't really understand the ideal tenure thing for coaches, chairmen or whoever.

Blight shone brightly but burned out quickly.
Sheedy won premierships 17 years apart.

Some people are great in a short time frame. Have an impact, shake things up, get a response. But people tire of them quickly.

Whereas others can reinvent themselves, foster ongoing relationships, find ways to keep themselves cutting edge. They can be there longer and have a positive impact.

There's no ideal tenure length for Chapman because he sucks.

Events since the 2017 GF have slowly accumulated within me too, like the proverbial straw on the camel's back. GF loss/ Mind Kamp/ hamstring injuries/ lies-and-cover-ups/ 1st-to-12th/ NO sackings, same crap retained (Burton/Hass/Hart/Campo)/ poor development of youth/ losing game plan, and so on ... I'm starting to wish I supported another team which has never happened before.
Yet it's impossible for me to switch allegiance :drunk:.
However, If I was brand new to the sport and was picking a club to barrack for, PORT Adelaide would probably be the last on my list ;). Then maybe Collingwood/Richmond, pretty even :).
If I was new to the sport and didn't know about Port being scum, the whole "we exist to win premierships" thing would sound pretty appealing. Even if they're s**t at it, at least the goal is clear. Far more appealing than our "make the 8 and anything can happen" and "website hits are up" bullshit.

Doesn't sound like he's leaving in the immediate future. Rowey quizzed him about it yesterday. Apparently they review his position in November/December each year.

looking forward to an 11th year of his low energy obfuscation leadership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back