News Chapman to step down

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
A board challenge is required!

The board sucks!

Old out of touch boys club!

The board is a reflection of the crows through and through!

There are no innovators, there are no forward thinkers.

Just stinkers!

Happy to be part of a confederate board!

I think the words you are looking for is strategic plan.

When Bob Foord died, how long did Rob think he was going to be there for and who was the next successor. It takes over 12 months to find a successor? I don't think so.

If a top 10 ASX company can do it in 4 months, I'm pretty sure the AFC can do it quicker than that.

This has been the gravy train for Rob (and a number of other flogs in the AFC) and he knows it. The fact he has little respect for the fan base and was a corporate boss says it all (most corporate bosses say they want to hear from their employees but in reality they don't, they don't to know about the little people's problems and give it lip service).

Yeah. I'm sure I heard him say he will not there in 2020. We can only hope.

I'd assume so. The moment you say you're stepping down in a sports organization does heavily imply that it'll be in the next off-season. Otherwise, there is no point to mentioning it.

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Chapman has been chairman since 2009. I agree that his time is up, but the club's on-field performances during this time have been better than average. Something he will perhaps hang his hat on.

I know the lynch mob (I'm a rather meek member!) don't want to see another perspective, but here it is anyway.

I reiterate, though, Chapman should resign. 11 years is enough.

No flags, of course... 2009-2019....

ClubWon%FlagsGF'sMinor PremsFinalsSpoons
Geel71.32%22090
Haw65.64%34280
Syd61.15%13290
Coll60.94%13260
WC57.54%12061
Adel55.82%01150
Rich52.03%11150
Frem49.80%01150
Nth48.78%00040
WB48.59%11040
StK45.93%02131
Port45.90%00030
Ess45.04%00041
GWS43.02%00032
Carl38.52%00042
Bris34.17%00011
Melb33.20%00011
GC24.23%00001

Chapman has been chairman since 2009. I agree that his time is up, but the club's on-field performances during this time have been better than average. Something he will perhaps hang his hat on.

I know the lynch mob (I'm a rather meek member!) don't want to see another perspective, but here it is anyway.

I reiterate, though, Chapman should resign. 11 years is enough.

No flags, of course... 2009-2019....

ClubWon%FlagsGF'sMinor PremsFinalsSpoons
Geel71.32%22090
Haw65.64%34280
Syd61.15%13290
Coll60.94%13260
WC57.54%12061
Adel55.82%01150
Rich52.03%11150
Frem49.80%01150
Nth48.78%00040
WB48.59%11040
StK45.93%02131
Port45.90%00030
Ess45.04%00041
GWS43.02%00032
Carl38.52%00042
Bris34.17%00011
Melb33.20%00011
GC24.23%00001

There is a very telling stat. Only team with >50% win record and no flags. Double that up with overseeing a draft sanction, and there is a big basis for Chapman playing a key role in costing us a premiership.

It means that he would rely almost completely on Ricciuto and (shudder) Burton for any football stuff.

We don't have a very wordly crew down there.

Who knows the industry inside out and has had various roles at a few clubs? And has seen some success along the way?

Furthermore, what's his right hand man (Smart) doing?

Are we seriously employing him as COO just to do the E-sports thing? Is that for real?

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Woud Elite Crow be invited though??

I can put any political differences aside - have mates that are diehard Coalition supporters (and one that since 1982 has only ever voted for the Liberals - didn't even vote for Bob Hawke!). One needs to engage with others and you can't always agree.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Here's the first group who need to be put under intense scrutiny :

Board of Directors
Rob Chapman (Chairman)
Jim Hazel (Deputy Chairman)
The Hon Kate Ellis MP
Linda Fellows
Richard Fennell
Rod Jameson
Jim McDowell
Mark Ricciuto
Kym Ryder

Here's the second lot that need to be assessed & reviewed :

Don Pyke, Senior Coach
Scott Camporeale, Senior Assistant Coach/Game Strategy
Ben Hart, Assistant Coach (Forwards)
Marty Mattner, Assistant Coach (Defence)
Michael Godden, Assistant Coach (Midfield)
Matthew Clarke, Assistant Coach (Ruck)
Heath Younie, SANFL Senior Coach and Development Manager
Brent Reilly, Defensive Development Coach
Paul Thomas, Midfield Development Coach
Matthew Wright, Forwards Development Coach

If the club website had the football department names on it I would have listed them too.

Everyone listed above has to accept some blame for where the club is right now as they are all key decision-makers there.

At least that’s what he says.
I actually think it’s right. I remember him telling me two years ago after the AFLW Grand final win that he was getting ready to stand down (I think I even reported it in here), and then it never happened. I somehow missed the news that Bob Foord had died. Contrary to what many people think, Chapman is a decent bloke. But it’s definitely time for him to move on.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Correct - he made it very clear that he would not be there now if it wasn’t for the untimely death of Bob, and that he was the successor.

It’s a little too convenient for me. Pressure is dialled up and we get, “hey, I don’t even want to be here, I’m doing you all a favour, if Bob didn’t die, he’d be Chairman”. Chapman is a sniveling coward and that is a coward’s way out. “Don’t blame me, blame the dead guy for dying”.

Even if true, it still speaks to his incompetence and arrogance. So the only replacement Chairperson can come from the pool of people that he’s groomed for the job? I’m not surprised this muppet thinks that way, but if he didn’t play the dead guy card, the logical follow up is that surely there’s enough talent around that the next Chairperson can come from outside the existing board and doesn’t need to be mentored into the role by him.

But playing the dead guy card is a very good way to kill the conversation.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
God no. Port in many ways are similar to us, but in others polar opposite.
Port are sh!t scared of losing their supporters and having an empty stadium again. They jump whenever their supporters get anxious. It's why they keep selling hope in trade week.

On the opposite side, our club couldn't give a s**t what the supporters say as they know the crowds will still turn up. What they haven't realised yet though is that the 'event' of attending Crows games is dying and crowds are slipping.

Not as bad as you think. If they were so concerned about supporters they wouldn’t have gone with dual captains. In trade week they’re trying to add what the see as missing pieces. They do a Gibbs trade or 2 every year to try and get better. They see a franchise player in Rozee gettable, they’re prepared to have a hard look at a player with currency that they don’t think gives the club his all. I think you’re misrepresenting their intentions.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
You could be on to something, I hadn't thought of it that way. The Football Department is mostly likely run by Roo and Burton with Pyke following and bassically no one challenging from outside.

What is Jamisons role on the Board?

Block an outsider from getting in until they’d archived everything from the Trigg debacle.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
From what I heard this morning on 5AA of the snippets of his interview there were a couple key points.
He won't be there in 2020.
He picked a successor that he thought was perfect fit the role but the board (?) is not going with that person, and he's quite disappointed.

I don’t understand the arrogance to even think that he gets to impose his successor onto the board. I haven’t read the constitution regarding that, but I highly doubt it affords him any power. Look mate, you think your time is up, thanks for what you’ve done, we’ll see you around. The remaining board members then go about the process of elevating or selecting a new Chairperson. He’s really a pretty dumb bloke. Great that they knocked him back though, first but of good board news for a while. I heard his first born son isn’t a dolt, so surprised they knocked him back.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Furthermore, what's his right hand man (Smart) doing?

Are we seriously employing him as COO just to do the E-sports thing? Is that for real?

We created COO when Trigg was suspended and Chappy took over the role. Somehow the role hung around. I’d love to compare our corporate and wage structure to other clubs. We’d be a behemoth I reckon.

Crowbots are dead

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Chairman:Mark Ricciuto

CEO:Nigel Smart

COO:Brett Burton

Board:
Ken McGregor
Ben Hart
Shaun Rehn
Brent Reilly
Kris Massie
Kym Koster

Coach: Simon Goodwin

Head of Football: Neil Craig

Senior Assistant: Mark Bickley
Forwards Coach: Ian Perrie
Midfield Coach: Robert Shirley
Defence: Michael Doughty
Ruck: Rhett Biglands

Head of Fitness: Darren Jarman

Club Doctor: Matthew Liptak
And father -son scout -Tyson Edwards

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s a little too convenient for me. Pressure is dialled up and we get, “hey, I don’t even want to be here, I’m doing you all a favour, if Bob didn’t die, he’d be Chairman”. Chapman is a sniveling coward and that is a coward’s way out. “Don’t blame me, blame the dead guy for dying”.

Even if true, it still speaks to his incompetence and arrogance. So the only replacement Chairperson can come from the pool of people that he’s groomed for the job? I’m not surprised this muppet thinks that way, but if he didn’t play the dead guy card, the logical follow up is that surely there’s enough talent around that the next Chairperson can come from outside the existing board and doesn’t need to be mentored into the role by him.

But playing the dead guy card is a very good way to kill the conversation.

Agree. Bob Foord died nearly two years ago. If Rob really wanted to leave he would have done it (that is assuming he was going to go quite quickly - anyone know when his term was due to end assume it would be at an AGM) - it doesn’t take two years to find your replacement. That’s just incompetence again.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Here's the first group who need to be put under intense scrutiny :

Here's the second lot that need to be assessed & reviewed :

If the club website had the football department names on it I would have listed them too.

Everyone listed above has to accept some blame for where the club is right now as they are all key decision-makers there.

Jesus, look how many exCrows players are there on these two lists.

What is worse is how many have actually got out of the bubble that is Adelaide and been elsewhere - other than Mattner and Hart?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree. Bob Foord died nearly two years ago. If Rob really wanted to leave he would have done it (that is assuming he was going to go quite quickly - anyone know when his term was due to end assume it would be at an AGM) - it doesn’t take two years to find your replacement. That’s just incompetence again.

It’s not even his job to find the replacement.

Back