News Chapman to step down

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the more laughable parts of Chapman’s interview with Rowe & Bickley the other night, was when Rowe questioned him about jobs for the boys etc (sidebar: a lot of these questions are going mainstream now after being posed by astute posters here for the best part of a DECADE).

Chapman said words to the effect of, do you believe that Stephen? And when Rowey said no, Chapman said something like, well we’ve both knocked it on the head now so hopefully fans will take note of that.

Yeah, okay, Rob, we’ll just take your word for it. (Like we did with the camp?)

Seriously, is Chapman on this planet? He doesn’t get it. STILL.

Never has an organization and its leaders been more out of touch with how they’re perceived than the Adelaide Football Club.

Changing the tenure of the board actually achieves a great deal - renewal and fresh ideas.

The board of the AFC is systematic of Adelaide, the city. Stale and fearful of change (and seems like the footy team as well).

Time that we storm the Bastille - everyone turn up for the AGM and demand change.

Of the 18 AFL sides for under 23 players, we have the least at 15 and of those 10 have played games for a total of approx. 160 or so. We are in for a world of pain in the next few years if we don't become aggressive in trading players.

Changing the tenure of the board actually achieves a great deal - renewal and fresh ideas.

The board of the AFC is systematic of Adelaide, the city. Stale and fearful of change (and seems like the footy team as well).

Time that we storm the Bastille - everyone turn up for the AGM and demand change.

Of the 18 AFL sides for under 23 players, we have the least at 15 and of those 10 have played games for a total of approx. 160 or so. We are in for a world of pain in the next few years if we don't become aggressive in trading players.

Problem is when they have the AGM mid afternoon on a weekday - when most of the membership base is not available.

Spot on. It’s in stark contrast to port where kieth Thomas has owned the responsibility. That wouldn’t happen for us because we have a weird model where fagan is responsible for off field and roo for footy. You need single point accountability with the ceo . Our structure is confused

I disagree, we have a single point of accountability, his name is Brett Burton. Having a CEO in the loop raises questions as to whether Burton is solely responsible for the debacle beneath him. Admin should be responsible for resourcing the footy dept to the full extent of the caps and the head of football is then responsible for every football related decision made within that resource constraint. If football fails it’s on the head of footy, if admin can’t resource to the full caps then it’s on the CEO. The only integration I’d have between the 2 separate hierarchies is shared services, ie financial, HR, legal. Other than that, I’d keep the 2 at arms length.

If felt like we had started changing things for the better, with Trigg being replaced by Fagan, Ricciuto coming on board and Sando being replaced by Walsh (and eventually Pyke).

What has happened is a gradual easing back into old habits.

The mindset of the Trigg/Craig years of focussing purely on making the finals (even at the expense of contending for a flag in the future; see Chapman's comments the other day), of doubling down when questioned or cricitised, of being a closed shop with the media, of being dismissive and at times aggressive towards fans, and of making pathetic excuses for poor performances - it has all gradually crept back in.

Crap like Gibbs being happy with 12 wins last year (we finished 12th FFS), Campo being happy with us playing a good half (despite losing the 2nd half by ten goals) and players and assistant coaches contradicting each other when they do talk to the media.

It all stinks of a football club with poor leadership and a culture of 'near enough is good enough'.

Elite standards my arse.

It’s a little too convenient for me. Pressure is dialled up and we get, “hey, I don’t even want to be here, I’m doing you all a favour, if Bob didn’t die, he’d be Chairman”. Chapman is a sniveling coward and that is a coward’s way out. “Don’t blame me, blame the dead guy for dying”.

Even if true, it still speaks to his incompetence and arrogance. So the only replacement Chairperson can come from the pool of people that he’s groomed for the job? I’m not surprised this muppet thinks that way, but if he didn’t play the dead guy card, the logical follow up is that surely there’s enough talent around that the next Chairperson can come from outside the existing board and doesn’t need to be mentored into the role by him.

But playing the dead guy card is a very good way to kill the conversation.

It’s bullshit.

If this was true, they would’ve announced it when Chapman’s tenure was extended.

Why is it not a usual business?

You’re kidding aren’t you? There are no shareholders or dividends and members are only given one voting right. Not to mention it’s a FOOTBALL CLUB.

Apologetic attitudes like yours only add to the echo chamber that these frauds get to scream into every day. There is something seriously broken at this club and these people are not the right people to fix the problem (because they are the problem).

You’re kidding aren’t you? There are no shareholders or dividends and members are only given one voting right. Not to mention it’s a FOOTBALL CLUB.

Apologetic attitudes like yours only add to the echo chamber that these frauds get to scream into every day. There is something seriously broken at this club and these people are not the right people to fix the problem (because they are the problem).

It is interesting given the following :-

AFC - season ticket holder and member - minimal voting rights
Adelaide 36ers - season ticket holder and member - no voting rights
Woodville West Torrens FC - football club member - full voting rights
RAA - member - full voting rights

Depends how their constitutions are drawn up - both AFC and Adelaide 36ers have been designed to exclude the members.

It is interesting given the following :-

AFC - season ticket holder and member - minimal voting rights
Adelaide 36ers - season ticket holder and member - no voting rights
Woodville West Torrens FC - football club member - full voting rights
RAA - member - full voting rights

Depends how their constitutions are drawn up - both AFC and Adelaide 36ers have been designed to exclude the members.
Didn’t the AFL write ours?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chapman will resign at the end of the year. Once he no longer has an official role at the club, they will finally cave and announce that they'll undertake the independent external review of the whole club that we've all been demanding. And guess who the outsider is that they'll choose to head up the review? Rob Chapman. With his extensive experience in both business and sports administration, what better candidate could you wish for?

Chairman:Mark Ricciuto

CEO:Nigel Smart

COO:Brett Burton

Board:
Ken McGregor
Ben Hart
Shaun Rehn
Brent Reilly
Kris Massie
Kym Koster

Coach: Simon Goodwin

Head of Football: Neil Craig

Senior Assistant: Mark Bickley
Forwards Coach: Ian Perrie
Midfield Coach: Robert Shirley
Defence: Michael Doughty
Ruck: Rhett Biglands

Head of Fitness: Darren Jarman

Club Doctor: Matthew Liptak
Media Manager: Lance Picioane poor Lance he never ever gets a mention. #BringbackTheLance

Chapman will resign at the end of the year. Once he no longer has an official role at the club, they will finally cave and announce that they'll undertake the independent external review of the whole club that we've all been demanding. And guess who the outsider is that they'll choose to head up the review? Rob Chapman. With his extensive experience in both business and sports administration, what better candidate could you wish for?
I'm guessing your taking the p155 as I really don't think it would be chappy that would head a review. I'd hope that be one of the metrics used to evaluate the club. Ie are we a boys club who give jobs to the boys?

One of the more laughable parts of Chapman’s interview with Rowe & Bickley the other night, was when Rowe questioned him about jobs for the boys etc (sidebar: a lot of these questions are going mainstream now after being posed by astute posters here for the best part of a DECADE).

Chapman said words to the effect of, do you believe that Stephen? And when Rowey said no, Chapman said something like, well we’ve both knocked it on the head now so hopefully fans will take note of that.

Yeah, okay, Rob, we’ll just take your word for it. (Like we did with the camp?)

Seriously, is Chapman on this planet? He doesn’t get it. STILL.

Never has an organization and its leaders been more out of touch with how they’re perceived than the Adelaide Football Club.

Wow Rowey has some mean shxt interview technique ! You mean Chapman turned the question back on the interviewer and then Rowe let him close it off ? Give me strength.............

Wow Rowey has some mean shxt interview technique ! You mean Chapman turned the question back on the interviewer and then Rowe let him close it off ? Give me strength.............

Yeah it was really pathetic by Rowey, he posed the tough question and then backed down, as soon as Chapman turned the question back on him. Rowe could have easily pointed to the countless people at the club, who are employed there and were former players.

I think, jumping outside of the box, maybe a proven winner like Gail Kelly should be courted ..

I don't mean to be rude .. but seriously Wayne Jackson is 75 and happy walking around with his cows. Blighty is 70 ffs. Leave them alone .. you silly bunch of flogs

Also, not unusual for a business to hold an AGM in business hours.

True, but this is a footy club, where most member contact is outside of business hours.

I'm a member of the Central District Football Club, and their AGM is in the evening. Likewise the AGM for the Crows Supporter Group is in the evening as well.

It’s a little too convenient for me. Pressure is dialled up and we get, “hey, I don’t even want to be here, I’m doing you all a favour, if Bob didn’t die, he’d be Chairman”. Chapman is a sniveling coward and that is a coward’s way out. “Don’t blame me, blame the dead guy for dying”.

Even if true, it still speaks to his incompetence and arrogance. So the only replacement Chairperson can come from the pool of people that he’s groomed for the job? I’m not surprised this muppet thinks that way, but if he didn’t play the dead guy card, the logical follow up is that surely there’s enough talent around that the next Chairperson can come from outside the existing board and doesn’t need to be mentored into the role by him.

But playing the dead guy card is a very good way to kill the conversation.
He’s got a Messiah complex in that he thinks he’s the only one that can save us. Thought that after the salary cap scandal, thought it after the Phil Walsh tragedy and obviously thought it after Bob Foord’s passing kyboshed the (supposed) succession plan.

He’s had 11 years in charge - hasn’t had success...long past time to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back