Chappell v Botham: Riveting or a Farce?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Both unpleasant characters, Botham threatened violence a number of times, threatened passengers on a plane, threatened to attack the PM during the 91 WC. Guy sounds like a complete turnip.

Chappell, on the other hand, is a boring twat stuck in the 70's everything he says is correct and can never adapt his mind. Always prickly and grumpy and his flat monotone commentary where he repeated the same point for over after over was painful.
Hope they fight each other, would be the only thing interesting about it.
If they hate each other so much, must only be doing it for the $$$. Pretty pathetic, really.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

53daa23a726fe6fc52934216b151d5ba.gif

Agreed it is very pathetic. Both stubborn arseholes, but I'll be watching and assumingly siding with Chappeli.

Last edited:

The thing with this feud is from what I know about it there's not really much substance to it. Two somewhat prickly blokes who got off on the wrong foot and hate each other.

I think they had an altercation in a bar, and Botham embellished his story telling about it a bit, making it sound like Chappell went flying over a table of AFL footballers either before/after threatening Chappell with a beer glass.

I remember this feud being touched on during the ''Forged in Fire'' Ashes documentary and Jeff Thomson described it as ''the biggest ******* embarrassment of my whole life'' when bemoaning that you can't have the two of them in the same room at the same time.

The fact two men will go to their graves with not a nice thing to say about the other (unless they unexpectedly kiss and make up) is no big deal to us on a forum like this but those who are mates with both may feel differently.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember this feud being touched on during the ''Forged in Fire'' Ashes documentary and Jeff Thomson described it as ''the biggest ******* embarrassment of my whole life'' when bemoaning that you can't have the two of them in the same room at the same time.

The fact two men will go to their graves with not a nice thing to say about the other (unless they unexpectedly kiss and make up) is no big deal to us on a forum like this but those who are mates with both may feel differently.

Yeah maybe, don't have to meet in a tv studio and film it though

Some of the best trash tv I’ve ever seen.

What a complete flog Chappell comes across as.. more so than most people think..

Botham is at least civil.

Agreed completely.

Used to rate Chappell very highly as a commentator - intelligent, informative and not afraid to state an opinion.

But on not being afraid to state an opinion, he also lets his personal dislike of people (see his views on Steve Waugh) blind his judgment.

He is just a bitter old crock these days.

Botham is still a pretty good commentator.

The pair of them came across as knobends in the show though.

I enjoyed it personally. Love the old school rivalry, no matter how pathetic and childish it is. However with no resolution it was a pretty bleak ending

I wish there was some footage of Chappelli interviewing Beefy after the latter picked up man of the match at the Gabba in 1986. All in all, it ended in a pretty predictable manner with a mutual enmity between the pair the only thing they can agree on.

Haha, that was great fun. First time I've watched something on FTA (outside live sport) in about 2 years.

Very slickly put together with lots of great footage (never before seen Chappell with a goatee!). Heard about the incident for years but first time I'd seen the 79/80 Shield match where Chappell in frustration at negative bowling took one of the stumps out and banged them into the edge of the pitch.

As for the final confrontation, basically a repeat of 25 years ago. Botham willing to forget it but Chappell not interested and it went downhill from there.

For me the dispute all comes down to the single moment as to whether Botham did or didn't threaten to glass him. If he did and he denies it, then Beefy is a liar and you can't blame Chappell for despising him. That's the version I've always understood it as, and I doubt Chappell would make that up. But regardless, they were never mates from day one, so why should they be 50 years on?

With the regards to the incident at the Hilton hotel, I believe Chappelli's side of the story but really who knows the truth of what went on that day. In that last scene, Beefy came out of it looking better than Chappelli but it's a pretty low bar.

It's no secret Ian Chappell and Tony Greig fell out during World Series Cricket. Both let bygones be bygones when they started working with each other on channel 9. Perhaps they got off on the right foot to begin with which meant a contretemps could be moved on from. Perhaps the prospect of working together for what turned out to be a little more than 3 decades helped in that regard too.

Sure, this might be just one example but Chappell is capable of moving forward positively from a falling out/ feud between he and somebody else.

In any case, when Tony Greig passed away, Ian Chappell described Greig as a ''close friend'' in a tribute piece and Chappelli isn't the type to say something like that if he didn't mean it. In the Greig family memoir released a year or so after Tony Greig's passing, Mark Greig said his father and Chappelli became ''very good mates when they stopped behaving like petulant children''.

I enjoyed the silence in the commentary box when the pair was matched for a stint. They did not use this combination again but given how dire some of the current commentary is, you got to appreciate how silence can be golden. Richie would have loved this, he did not believe in wasting words.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back