Chappell v Botham: Riveting or a Farce?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chappelli is a sad angry man - was hardly ever complimentary about players

He's probably jealous and a sour old man that his career was never as good as some of his counterparts

I remember Chappelli saying about Richard Hadlee "that was Richard Hadlee at his best - impeccable line and length when there was a bit in the pitch"

Hadlee averaged 12 with the ball in Sri Lanka and 22 in India!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He had a WORSE AVERAGE in the West Indies and England

It was time for this pair to finally swallow their pride, start acting like adults and put this feud to bed, but both blew the chance at this face to face interview. A simple dual apology was all that was needed to end this five decade long feud which began probably thru too much boose. Was Chappelli out of line approaching Beefy in the first place as he was not one of his party.

I don’t if I’d bother making up with someone who threaten to glass me ( if true ).
I simple punch on no worries but getting threatened to be cut is another level.

Some of the best trash tv I’ve ever seen.

What a complete flog Chappell comes across as.. more so than most people think..

Botham is at least civil.

I've always enjoyed listening to Ian Chappell, and he makes more sense about the game then and now than most. But unfortunately it has become clear he does let petty vendettas cloud his judgement. His descriptions of Botham as "a hitter more than a batsman" are just ridiculous, as well as him being a bully but if you stood up to him he wasn't any good. Doesn't stand up to the facts - which Chappell would know very well.

Botham's first century against Australia was in 1979/80 - 119 not out in the second innings in a losing team. In a match where Dennis Lillee took 11 wickets. It was also Ian Chappell's last test. So he would have seen up close and personal that for one thing Botham could bat, and for another he could make runs in the worst of circumstances. His next 2 tons against Australia were in 1981, which if anything were against better attacks and in worse situations (Headingley and Old Trafford respectively).

I do think Botham lost patience in his batting from about the mid 1980s onwards. I saw him make many half centuries where he well and truly had a ton in reach but would lose patience or just play careless shots. But that's not the same as saying he couldn't bat.

Agree with others, Chappell came across as insanely bitter, and doesn't seem to get he's not the only one who has opinions. His blind spot seems to be if you're going to offer what you think (and fair enough), then others can too. Botham has acknowledged many times he was a hothead when he was younger, and he came across fine.

Last edited:

Maybe it's a Chappell thing - being a dick. Greg was a total w***er. I would bet that he's still the only ex-Test captain to be banned from the Australian dressing rooms.
Unfortunately, because he was a Channel 9 'Golden Boy', he was given a free pass through most of his career by the dominant cricket media in Australia.

Just on this, it's very frequently forgotten that when Lillee and Marsh waged their personal war against Kim Hughes, one guy was always overlooked in it. Greg Chappell (way more than Ian), who was the current captain and obviously did nothing.

What I cant get my head around is that these guys are so similar:

1. They both played cricket with the same attitude - an attacking mindset
2. They are both 'larrikins' (to a certain extent)
3. Both of them didnt really like authority
4. Both of them love a beer

For my part, Chappell has always been one of my cricketing heroes (as Botham was even though he played for the old enemy) but Chappell he comes across on this as a bitter and twisted man who just wont let go.

What I cant get my head around is that these guys are so similar:

1. They both played cricket with the same attitude - an attacking mindset
2. They are both 'larrikins' (to a certain extent)
3. Both of them didnt really like authority
4. Both of them love a beer

For my part, Chappell has always been one of my cricketing heroes (as Botham was even though he played for the old enemy) but Chappell he comes across on this as a bitter and twisted man who just wont let go.
That was how I saw it too. So if Beefy had apologized doubt Chappelli would have accepted it as no way could I see him doing the same. FFS it was 50 years ago so was time to 'kiss and make up'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back