Opinion Chappys book

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually,it's a literary review of Churchill's memoirs rather than an essay.
You're right, I haven't read it for a while and forgot it was a review, despite that small inaccuracy it is a great comment on Churchill the politician and man.

Someone on Bigfooty needs to take a leaf out of Gideon Haigh's book and start writing 'I read [player autobiography] so you don't have to' summaries. Get on it Chief
AFL player autobiographies can be pretty painful, I made the mistake of reading Wayne Carey's book a few years back and to quote Howard Moon from The Boosh 'That's not a novel, that's the scribbling's of a r3tard.'

On Tim McGrath saying that Chapman wasn't "right" that night.

I read in the paper that apparently, that night was the one year anniversary of Paul Chapman's brother dying in a car accident. As such, Chappy was a little upset, since he was close to his brother, and didn't feel like going out, so his teammates stayed back at the hotel to support him.

Also, the article said that the original plan was for the club to go to a nightclub that night- the Sari Club. Of course, that night the club was blown up in the Bali Bombings.

I remember thinking that, in one way, by Chappy's brother dying one year earlier, it actually saved the lives of not only Paul Chapman, but all his teammates as well, since they would have been at the Sari Club otherwise. So, if not for his brother's death one year earlier, it might have been Paul Chapman and co who died one year later instead. Eerie.

The players were incredibly lucky. They had been drinking in the San club all week.

The Geelong players had decided to remain at their hotel, the Bounty, that fateful night, so as to be together as a group on their last night in Bali.

Several players were playing table tennis and the popular Henry Playfair was entertaining some young teammates in the swimming pool with his locally famous Rod Carter impersonation and a couple of Blues Brothers' impersonations.

Paul Chapman had been behaving strangely all day, saying he did not want to go out at all. Only later did McGrath realise it was the anniversary of his brother's death. "That could have been fate," McGrath said. "We wonder if his brother was looking down on him. I don't know if you believe in that kind of stuff."​

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/12/13/1039656221659.html

IT’S A LONG SEASON

I KNOW guys who would rather take a pay cut if it meant playing a shorter season. Hearing (Brad) Scotty’s concerns that Joel Selwood may burn out and that other guys are generally not enjoying the game any more rings true with me.

Everything else in the game is moving towards equalisation but the league doesn’t seem to want to make a fixture where each team just plays each other once. But it makes sense — give every team an equal run at making the top eight.

Understandably, with the broadcast rights, they may need to take a hit but it too would evolve. The NFL has a 16-game season and broadcasts rights are big money. Sometimes less is more. You would get more people to the games because every game is even more crucial. Pre-season is a grind and we are losing the enjoyment of the game. The year is too long.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s-year-from-hell/story-fnp04d70-1227581634079

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brad Scott ??? :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL player autobiographies can be pretty painful, I made the mistake of reading Wayne Carey's book a few years back and to quote Howard Moon from The Boosh 'That's not a novel, that's the scribbling's of a r3tard.'
Years ago at a function, I won a book of Dermie's.
It was literally stuff like ' 'We went on the bus to Adelaide and Jason tripped getting off the bus, Geez it was funny and we all laughed.'
For the whole book.;)

Someone on Bigfooty needs to take a leaf out of Gideon Haigh's book and start writing 'I read [player autobiography] so you don't have to' summaries. Get on it Chief
You first.

It was literally stuff like ' 'We went on the bus to Adelaide and Jason tripped getting off the bus, Geez it was funny and we all laughed.'
For the whole book.;)
Oh God...The AFP probably play the audiobook version as read by 'Lehmo' to torture terrorist suspects in custody.

The players were incredibly lucky. They had been drinking in the San club all week.

The Geelong players had decided to remain at their hotel, the Bounty, that fateful night, so as to be together as a group on their last night in Bali.

Several players were playing table tennis and the popular Henry Playfair was entertaining some young teammates in the swimming pool with his locally famous Rod Carter impersonation and a couple of Blues Brothers' impersonations.

Paul Chapman had been behaving strangely all day, saying he did not want to go out at all. Only later did McGrath realise it was the anniversary of his brother's death. "That could have been fate," McGrath said. "We wonder if his brother was looking down on him. I don't know if you believe in that kind of stuff."​

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/12/13/1039656221659.html
and here I was over here in WA, blissfully unaware that all this had even happened to boys from our club, because our papers were full of the deaths and injuries of WA people. I can't even remember reading about the GFC players being over there.

and here I was over here in WA, blissfully unaware that all this had even happened to boys from our club, because our papers were full of the deaths and injuries of WA people. I can't even remember reading about the GFC players being over there.

I'm sure you will one day. It's like Stephen Hockeys meeting in Sydney with Dank. It was mentioned in the papers early on, but a few years later it was discovered again and turned into a trash article. So expect the Hun to print an article soon claiming our boys stayed at the hotel that night for some nefarious reason.

For the whole book.;)
Would have been plenty of 'I' and 'me' uses as well I'd imagine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back