Society/Culture Charity

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm sure this will get broken down along left-right lines as everything does on this board.

What are people's views on charity like we're currently being asked to help out with money for firefighters and people displaced by the fires. I've donated and on the one hand, can feel good about that but shouldn't providing fire services be something that's done by the government? Same for helping people get back on their feet? Or do we distinguish between the two?

And how do people feel about government ministers (Dutton) encouraging people to donate?

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
The problem with having charities replace government agencies is that charities typically enjoy less funding and have a more limited geographical reach.

Plus there are issues with donations being used to fund bloated staff rolls.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
This.

And I completely agree with the poster who said the government should be funding this, not charity.
Agreed, but we know the government wont provide adequate funding. Charity isn't a dirty word.

Give what you can, when you can.

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
There are too many of them.

And im not a fan of individuals starting charities in there own names (ie: Joe Smith Foundation) unless they were directly affected by the cause. Far easier if individuals decided to be ambassadors and donate their time/money as needed.

HardcoreGeelongFan

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
St Kilda
The saying goes lefty loosey righty tighty

But I'll admit I don't donate to charities who send financial aid to regional nsw/qld

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Probably staffed by well meaning but not effective people but it seems the politicians are both not well meaning and not effective

I might consider a weekend in Mallacoota sometime to directly contribute

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

And im not a fan of individuals starting charities in there own names (ie: Joe Smith Foundation) unless they were directly affected by the cause. Far easier if individuals decided to be ambassadors and donate their time/money as needed.

You didn’t love the Shane Warne Foundation’s admirable work?

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

But then they and their family couldnt draw a salary, the tax benefits and all the attention?

It isn't just the small charities that are a problem, the amount of money wasted by groups like UNHCR, MSF, Worldvision etc is astounding. My work group did.donate to them until we actually saw them in action and realised it is better just to throw the money in the gutter.

There are good ones but you have to research them and give direct not through the annoying backpackers in shopping centres whose companies take massive commissions.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

unfortunately religion and charity are tax haven entities. both should be taxed based on revenue and receive deductions for their charity work to preserve a zero tax outcome for legitimate charitable work. Shane Warne's Ferrari and funds being returned to the Vatican (ST John of God etc) should not be tax free.

But then they and their family couldnt draw a salary, the tax benefits and all the attention?

It isn't just the small charities that are a problem, the amount of money wasted by groups like UNHCR, MSF, Worldvision etc is astounding. My work group did.donate to them until we actually saw them in action and realised it is better just to throw the money in the gutter.

There are good ones but you have to research them and give direct not through the annoying backpackers in shopping centres whose companies take massive commissions.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

never donate to those annoying backpackers

based on the average monthly donation subscribed from these guys, the first three months covers their wage, the next 10 months the commission of their employer and only after the 13th month does the actual charity see their first dollar.

Meaning if you donate for one year, the charity received nothing.

I'll donate. Donating says more about you than the people you're donating to.

I'm also part of a group organising a convoy of goods and some events in bushfire affected areas in a few months so that people go out and spend money in areas that will need the support to help their local economies rebuild. In a way it's charity as well but with more of a long term view to help communities.

I'll donate. Donating says more about you than the people you're donating to.

I'm also part of a group organising a convoy of goods and some events in bushfire affected areas in a few months so that people go out and spend money in areas that will need the support to help their local economies rebuild. In a way it's charity as well but with more of a long term view to help communities.
Not going to Hawaii?

it is sad that a journalist could publish this crap, without taking a step back to appreciate the unique position of the country fire service.

The country fire service is a state based institution to start with and as the article highlights is filled by volunteers. The majority of funding for equipment comes from the state government but also the federal and community based sources including donations.

When we take a step back we are talking about a very important country service that
1) is only called for "major" service every 10 years
2) protects the interests of wealthy property owners

As a result it is appropriate wealthy property owners pay for their own asset protection, which they do through insurance and by volunteering in this community based service.

I am not against supporting the CFS with leased water bombers funded by the state but we shouldn't use the excuse of "government should fund this" "government should do that" to avoid our own obligation in society to donate time and money to valuable causes such as the CFS.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
it is sad that a journalist could publish this crap, without taking a step back to appreciate the unique position of the country fire service.

The country fire service is a state based institution to start with and as the article highlights is filled by volunteers. The majority of funding for equipment comes from the state government but also the federal and community based sources including donations.

When we take a step back we are talking about a very important country service that
1) is only called for "major" service every 10 years
2) protects the interests of wealthy property owners

As a result it is appropriate wealthy property owners pay for their own asset protection, which they do through insurance and by volunteering in this community based service.

I am not against supporting the CFS with leased water bombers funded by the state but we shouldn't use the excuse of "government should fund this" "government should do that" to avoid our own obligation in society to donate time and money to valuable causes such as the CFS.

So, as a non-rural wealthy property owner I shouldn't donate?

So, as a non-rural wealthy property owner I shouldn't donate?

helping out your fellow citizen in times of need is never a bad thing

Just as my post ended, we shouldn't use the excuse that government should do this and that, to not donate time and money to charity.

The journalist is a disgrace and the article said more about them than anyone else

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
helping out your fellow citizen in times of need is never a bad thing

Just as my post ended, we shouldn't use the excuse that government should do this and that, to not donate time and money to charity.

The journalist is a disgrace and the article said more about them than anyone else

What did you think of the actual argument - that government has pulled out of these areas it used to traditionally fund, leaving charities to pick up the load?

Back