Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all

We’ve got 2 tickets for the Sutton Medal night @ Crown on Wed Sept 28 at 7pm

Post if

• you’d like to go in the draw
  • you must be a current 2022 player sponsor

More details later

Last edited:
Most top 10 finishes in the Charles Sutton Medal in the 21st century (bold indicates a top 10 finish in 2022)…

12x R. Murphy

11x

10x M. Boyd

9x J. Macrae, D. Morris

8x M. Bontempelli, D. Cross, D. Giansiracusa, B. Johnson

7x A. Cooney, C. Daniel, R. Griffen, Tom Liberatore, S. West

6x B. Lake, L. Picken

5x L. Dahlhaus, L. Hunter, J. Johannisen, M. Wallis

4x L. Darcy, L. Gilbee, A. Naughton, Rohan Smith

3x N. Brown, J. Dunkley, N. Eagleton, R. Hargrave, B. Williams, E. Wood

2x 11 players

1x 26 players

Most top 10 finishes in the Charles Sutton Medal in the 21st century (bold indicates a top 10 finish in 2022)…

12x R. Murphy

11x

10x M. Boyd

9x J. Macrae, D. Morris

8x M. Bontempelli, D. Cross, D. Giansiracusa, B. Johnson

7x A. Cooney, C. Daniel, R. Griffen, Tom Liberatore, S. West

6x B. Lake, L. Picken

5x L. Dahlhaus, L. Hunter, J. Johannisen, M. Wallis

4x L. Darcy, L. Gilbee, A. Naughton, Rohan Smith

3x N. Brown, J. Dunkley, N. Eagleton, R. Hargrave, B. Williams, E. Wood

2x 11 players

1x 26 players
Appreciate it’s in part driven by the voting systems but the lack of key position players there is quite telling.

Surprised that Will Minson didn’t make the 3x list.

Are people serious that Dunkley winning won't add to his trade value?

Trading/buying a player is not that unlike a house or a car. The seller lists all the features and selling points, the buyer brings up the shortcomings.

The approximate value is determined by market metrics, and factors such as age, games played, injuries, any awards ( AA etc), contract size etc

Does being a reigning club champion in a finals year come into the equation?

Hell yeah it does.

At least his B&F win should give us a bit more bargaining power to get Brisbane to 'horse up' rather than just 'pony up'.
My thoughts exactly, cunning strategy by Power.....whispers into Bevo's ear, imagine our bargaining power if Dunks is a reigning FnB.....get it done.

Beveridge era placings in the Charles Sutton Medal...

Top 10
8x M. Bontempelli, J. Macrae
7x C. Daniel
6x
5x L. Hunter, J. Johannisen
4x T. Liberatore, A. Naughton
3x L. Picken, B. Williams, E. Wood
2x 7 players
1x 13 players

Top 5
8x M. Bontempelli
7x
6x J. Macrae
4x C. Daniel, T. Liberatore
3x J. Dunkley
2x 4 players
1x 7 players

Top 3
7x M. Bontempelli
6x
5x
4x J. Macrae
3x T. Liberatore
2x J. Dunkley, L. Hunter
1x 6 players

Winners
4x M. Bontempelli
3x
2x
1x C. Daniel, J. Dunkley, L. Hunter, E. Wood
Not to be picky, but you don''t have Dunkley in your top 10 list...

Congratulations to Dunkley, well-deserved after a great season. I'll forever be thankful for his contributions to our 2016 Premiership glory and for giving his best for the red, white and blue right through to the end of his time. I wish him well moving forward (but not at the expense of another Bulldog Premiership). While everyone is entitled to their thoughts, I can't help but feel a little critical of some here who are dissing Dunkley now that he's no longer a Bulldog yet who find no irony in how quick they've been to lay into the usual whipping boys who remain Bulldogs.

If only Dunkley had heard Joel Selwood’s retirement speech. Joel could have got a lot more money, not only from Geelong, but at other clubs too. He chose neither option. Because he loved his teammates and his club and wanted to now make them better. Like Dunkley, Selwood won a flag in his first year as a kid. Not through their efforts necessarily, but the loyal servants that went beforehand. At Geelong it was Chapman, Scarlett Mooney, Ling etc. we had M Boyd, Morris and Picken etc. Selwood got another two flags early. But then went on to become like a Ling, Monney type and drag his club along. Why doesn’t Dunkley want to become the new Morris or Picko? The club gave him much, he will still get well paid, but it’s time for him to give back. One is a legend, one will be …

If only Dunkley had heard Joel Selwood’s retirement speech. Joel could have got a lot more money, not only from Geelong, but at other clubs too. He chose neither option. Because he loved his teammates and his club and wanted to now make them better. Like Dunkley, Selwood won a flag in his first year as a kid. Not through their efforts necessarily, but the loyal servants that went beforehand. At Geelong it was Chapman, Scarlett Mooney, Ling etc. we had M Boyd, Morris and Picken etc. Selwood got another two flags early. But then went on to become like a Ling, Monney type and drag his club along. Why doesn’t Dunkley want to become the new Morris or Picko? The club gave him much, he will still get well paid, but it’s time for him to give back. One is a legend, one will be …
Perhaps unfortunately for those of us who think loyalty is still a value of the highest priority, the AFL has made it increasingly easier for players to change clubs for better remuneration or better opportunities. Very successful clubs like Geelong find it easier to nurture the loyalty factor whereas several others don't have that luxury.
Another consideration is that the AFL is a microcosm of the broader society where young people of different character and motivation make their workplace decisions to suit their best interests which may or may not include the concept of loyalty.

Geelong didn't have to pay Selwood, CottonOn and Simonds did that for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a beautiful sentiment but the facts are that Selwood (who I admire more than any other footballer) wouldn’t have had his fairytale if he had not been so successful in helping to persuade footballers from other clubs to be “disloyal” and join him in sleepy hollow. I heard him say to Danger “I told you!” after the game, which felt a lot like he’d delivered on his promise of a flag when he helped lure him to the cats. I love our one club champions more than those who left, but I hope our list management team is more pragmatic about building a premiership list.

That is a beautiful sentiment but the facts are that Selwood (who I admire more than any other footballer) wouldn’t have had his fairytale if he had not been so successful in helping to persuade footballers from other clubs to be “disloyal” and join him in sleepy hollow. I heard him say to Danger “I told you!” after the game, which felt a lot like he’d delivered on his promise of a flag when he helped lure him to the cats. I love our one club champions more than those who left, but I hope our list management team is more pragmatic about building a premiership list.
Well said.

I hate Geelong with an absolute passion. There's no team I hate more, but I have full admiration and respect for Selwood. I model my own game on his. I'm not blessed with skill, but I can guarantee I'll always give 100% and attack the contest with ferocity. My mantra is 'see ball, get ball' and I have the former Geelong skipper to thank for that.

Just thought we as supporters were a bit better than pillorying a bloke who's given us seven years of very good service, won a premiership and a BnF, and is leaving on solid terms. I think you're being a bit of a sook, that's all :)
Better a sook than a kiss arse. Tears taste better.

The flip side to all this is that Josh is out of contract yet Brissy still have to trade for him, in any normal sporting industry he would walk for nothing.
In any normal sporting industry we could have shipped him off to North or West Coast (without his consent) for something better whilst in contract last year.

I'm surprised at the willingness to be "mature" on here.

Dunkley blindsides the club asking for a trade to Essendon two years ago citing cultural reasons (the irony of that still has me laughing). This despite being gifted a flag and a primo spot in the midfield rotation before he deserved it and treated like the coach's pet. Is welcomed back after that debacle. Is played (in favour of developing others) through injury in a year we made the grand final whilst contributing diddly squat that whole finals series.
Comes back this year and admittedly played well enough to win a B & F or more importantly (in his mind) earn a big pay day. Stiffs us again despite making all the noises about loving life at the kennel. Leaks to Wilson that we have cultural issues then denies this to keep his image clean. All this to go to Brisbane who have an allegedly racist heartless head coach that will probably step down. Nathan Brown didn't do half that.

You guys enjoy being mature. I for one wish him nothing but early finals exits and club turmoil.

Christ some of you lot are hard to please. Yeah it sucks that we are losing a great player, but he is well entitled to leave and has been a great servant of the club. Whatever his reason for leaving is, we have to respect the hard work and passion he put into the club. He’s a premiership player and BNF winner for Christ sake.

Grow up.
mmmmmm.... yeah nahhhhh
get stuffed

you reckon brisbane are going to adjust there trade value of Dunkley based on an award. They made their evaluation weeks ago.

Wouldn't impact it in the slightest if he finished first or fifth.

Dunkley winning a bnf allows Power to use it as a puff piece in the media (thats if he even wished to do it), thats about it.
If you don't think the B&F has improved the dogs bargaining position then I'm not sure I can help you.

Are people serious that Dunkley winning won't add to his trade value?

Trading/buying a player is not that unlike a house or a car. The seller lists all the features and selling points, the buyer brings up the shortcomings.

The approximate value is determined by market metrics, and factors such as age, games played, injuries, any awards ( AA etc), contract size etc

Does being a reigning club champion in a finals year come into the equation?

Hell yeah it does.
100%! Dunkley being a reigning club B&F winner makes his value go through the roof.
We'll get 2 first round draft picks (or equivalent value) and if not then SP will walk him to the the draft and North Melbourne.
Brisbane desperately need Dunkley and will eventually play ball... as much as they possibly can.
Lobb will get done for a second round pick.

you reckon brisbane are going to adjust there trade value of Dunkley based on an award. They made their evaluation weeks ago.

Wouldn't impact it in the slightest if he finished first or fifth.

Dunkley winning a bnf allows Power to use it as a puff piece in the media (thats if he even wished to do it), thats about it.
totally incorrect

totally incorrect

Just my opinion but I think it’s fair to argue that 90% of the ground work for a trade would have already been completed. Sure it could be used as a negotiation tactic but I don’t buy that a bnf automatically gets more value.

I suppose it depends on the opposition list manager and how they value it. Some may or some may have already determined a value of Dunkley if he finished first or if he finished 2nd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back