Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something has seriously gone wrong with our youth. Just 1 year ago we were all talking about how we finally had a good batch of youth coming along again.

clark, miers, esava, narkle, constable, henry, parfitt, fogarty

5 of those struggled to get in the team this year and are all right now interviewing with other clubs either cos geelong wants them to leave or they want to leave.

I’m guessing the reality of Jack Steven waddling into the team, and spudding it up worse than any name recruit we’ve ever had was less than totally inspirational for the younger guys. Can’t imagine why.

So much drivel.

Charlie is average, seemingly hasn’t worked on the flaws that saw him dropped. Definitely backing the club here, their track record with letting go of fringe players is spotless.

I’m guessing the reality of Jack Steven waddling into the team, and spudding it up worse than any name recruit we’ve ever had was less than totally inspirational for the younger guys. Can’t imagine why.
Yep stuck behind Steven and Zuthrie in the pecking order in the season just gone would have me telling them to stick it where the monkey stuck his peanuts.

Yep stuck behind Steven and Zuthrie in the pecking order in the season just gone would have me telling them to stick it where the monkey stuck his peanuts.
Why are so many people out of tune with reality on this?

We heard it directly from the inner sanctum via Matthew Scarlett.

He isn’t missing out because of Steven, because Steven played part mid and part HFF.
He isn’t missing out to Zuthrie. A small defender.
He isn’t missing out to Fogarty or Atkins. Two mids we shoehorn as pressure forwards.

Directly from the club: He is missing out due to the form of Selwood, Dangerfield, Menegola and Guthrie as our inside midfielders. Tell me who of those should be dropped in 2021 so that Charlie can play?

He isn’t missing out because of Steven, because Steven played part mid and part HFF.
He isn’t missing out to Fogarty or Atkins. Two mids we shoehorn as pressure forwards.

Directly from the club: He is missing out due to the form of Selwood, Dangerfield, Menegola and Guthrie as our inside midfielders. Tell me who of those should be dropped in 2021 so that Charlie can play?
We could have shuffled thing around a little and played him instead of Steven he's a bust.

We could have shuffled thing around a little and played him instead of Steven he's a bust.
No I don’t think we should have. Steven is irrelevant to the conversation.

One of Danger, Selwood, Guthrie or Menegola would have to have gone from the midfield to fit him in, again, Scarlett’s sentiments not mine. Doubt that changes in 2021.

Are we seriously back onto the argument that the club is overlooking youth to intentionally select the older players?

The one thing the club has repeatedly shown is that they will back in the younger players on our list when they warrant selection

- Parfitt has been pretty much locked in our best 22 since being drafted. Can't recall him really playing any VFL, maybe only when returning from injury, but it's generally a case if his fit he plays

- Clark was locked into our 22 last year until his elbow injury at training. Yes he played VFL but it was too see if he would be able to return to the seniors for finals. This year he struggled with form & injuries which is why we didn't see him, but all the talk is the club wants to keep him & he wants to stay; fingers crossed for an injury free 2021 to see what he has to offer

- Henry & Miers have been locks in the 22 since they each debuted

- Close seemed to surprise a few with his debut this year but he kept his spot for 8 games. The unfortunate reality though is that he was only keeping that spot warm until Ablett returned, but let's see what happens next year now that a spots opened up

- Look at the finals this year, Steven was omitted for the qualifying final & Atkins bought in. A week later Atkins was omitted and replaced was Simpson who had only 1 scratch match under his belt after returning from a hamstring injury - they clearly rate what Simpson brings and wanted him in the side

Essentially, there's spots available if the players are good enough and warrant selection. So if a younger player isn't seeing as much senior team time as some fans think they should be, maybe it's not some conspiracy but rather the player isn't warranting continued selection and that may be due to form, other players available or they have area/s of their game to work on

So much drivel.

Charlie is average, seemingly hasn’t worked on the flaws that saw him dropped. Definitely backing the club here, their track record with letting go of fringe players is spotless.
He has just turned 21 ffs. Yet you back a 30 year old And 25 year old. Club also looking poor for trying to not honour contracts. Gives more justification for clarke and esava to want to leave despite contracted.

ps. You are doing a great bomberboyokay impression in this thread.

And now we are trying to recruit 31 year old smith whilst having clarke in the wings to play the same position.

Are we seriously back onto the argument that the club is overlooking youth to intentionally select the older players?

The one thing the club has repeatedly shown is that they will back in the younger players on our list when they warrant selection

- Parfitt has been pretty much locked in our best 22 since being drafted. Can't recall him really playing any VFL, maybe only when returning from injury, but it's generally a case if his fit he plays

- Clark was locked into our 22 last year until his elbow injury at training. Yes he played VFL but it was too see if he would be able to return to the seniors for finals. This year he struggled with form & injuries which is why we didn't see him, but all the talk is the club wants to keep him & he wants to stay; fingers crossed for an injury free 2021 to see what he has to offer

- Henry & Miers have been locks in the 22 since they each debuted

- Close seemed to surprise a few with his debut this year but he kept his spot for 8 games. The unfortunate reality though is that he was only keeping that spot warm until Ablett returned, but let's see what happens next year now that a spots opened up

- Look at the finals this year, Steven was omitted for the qualifying final & Atkins bought in. A week later Atkins was omitted and replaced was Simpson who had only 1 scratch match under his belt after returning from a hamstring injury - they clearly rate what Simpson brings and wanted him in the side

Essentially, there's spots available if the players are good enough and warrant selection. So if a younger player isn't seeing as much senior team time as some fans think they should be, maybe it's not some conspiracy but rather the player isn't warranting continued selection and that may be due to form, other players available or they have area/s of their game to work on
Tell that to the 5 young talented players on our list who are all currently interviewing with other clubs. 6 if you count cocky.

some are given a go. Oddly enough a high proportion of the ex rookies like close, atkins, simpson and henry. Whilst others get shut out And dropped despite playing as well if not better then the players who keep getting games. Narkle by all reports was absolutely dominating the practise games at the end of the season but couldnt even make the emergency list.

He has just turned 21 ffs. Yet you back a 30 year old And 25 year old. Club also looking poor for trying to not honour contracts. Gives more justification for clarke and esava to want to leave despite contracted.

I'm happy for Clarke to leave, and we'll keep Clark instead - didn't realise David was still at the club.

Besides, there's nothing to suggest that Clark wants to leave or the club wants him out, just that Freo is apparently interested

And is there anything to suggest Ratugolea wants out? Thought the club said last week that Ratugolea wasn't going anywhere

The talk around Constable has been there since the middle of last year - the club had said they won't stand in his way exploring his options and they are willing to trade him in good faith if a suitable deal for all parties can be negotiated. Otherwise, he'll be welcomed back to the club, hit the training track for preseason & see what happens in 2021

I'm happy for Clarke to leave, and we'll keep Clark instead - didn't realise David was still at the club.

Besides, there's nothing to suggest that Clark wants to leave or the club wants him out, just that Freo is apparently interested

And is there anything to suggest Ratugolea wants out? Thought the club said last week that Ratugolea wasn't going anywhere

The talk around Constable has been there since the middle of last year - the club had said they won't stand in his way exploring his options and they are willing to trade him in good faith if a suitable deal for all parties can be negotiated. Otherwise, he'll be welcomed back to the club, hit the training track for preseason & see what happens in 2021
Sav is having an interview at the bulldogs Despite being contracted. He wouldnt be going if he wasnt thinking about it.

rumours of clarke being disgruntled but we have nothing more then rumours at this point. given freemantle are making a play then you would think they have spoken to clarke otherwise why would they be public about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sav is having an interview at the bulldogs Despite being contracted. He wouldnt be going if he wasnt thinking about it.

rumours of clarke being disgruntled but we have nothing more then rumours at this point. given freemantle are making a play then you would think they have spoken to clarke otherwise why would they be public about it.

As previously said, not too worried if Clarke is disgruntled- if David wants to move on from Geelong he can

As for Jordan Clark (the guy on our list), all the talk is he's happy at Geelong & wants to stay. Fremantle are they ones making the play, not the other way around - couldn't care less what Fremantle are saying, more interested in what's coming from the Clark camp & at the moment, that's he wants to stay at Geelong

And with the Ratugolea story - has that been reported anywhere reputable or just in a single location? Until something comes out from the club or Ratugolea, taking it with a grain of salt

This is saturated with hyperbole.

1. I am not 'backing' a 30yo or 25yo. Have said that Atkins is limited, but he is not in the same role that Constable is so completely irrelevant to the discussion.

If tru makes it hard for him to be happy to stay...

Sorry Turbo.

There you go Seeds. Sam Edmund saying the same as Scarlett. Will not be played in the same midfield as Joel Selwood or Patrick Dangerfield. You wanna drop PD for Charlie? What about our captain??

He is surplus.

Their tackle counts are the same. Both are slow players. atkins elevated tackling pressure is emperor new clothes. we like to think it exists but it really doesnt.
I don't think one is like the other. Look at the tackles chook applied and where they are applied. He's an inside mid with no pace, he effectively applies a tackle when he didn't win the possession and so racks up good numbers on the basis that the he already at the stoppage and the play is happening at a pace he can match. It's not that his tackles there are not welcome, they're just slowing down a play that's already 50/50. Could you imagine Chook nailing a chase down tackle?

Atkins on the other hand is always chasing and I think the tackles he doesn't stick are actually just as valuable then those he does if not more. His work is more like Richmond's midfield 2017-2019 where they'd basically concede the clearances but apply so much pressure that the kick gets chopped off by a intercept defender. If you want to judge Atkins work then look at how many oppo exits from D50 end up being hacked kicks forward to the same predictable spots making it easy for our mids to generate the turnover and subsequent entry to f50. He doesn't get a stat for it but it's his most important work.

In truth both players are one trick ponies and I think if Chook stays then reasonable chance we end up playing him every week relatively soon as a Ben Cunnington type as I feel after Selwood we're going to be short of ball winners. But right now Atkins trick is the one that helps the team more.

1. I am not 'backing' a 30yo or 25yo. Have said that Atkins is limited, but he is not in the same role that Constable is so completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Sorry Turbo.

There you go Seeds. Sam Edmund saying the same as Scarlett. Will not be played in the same midfield as Joel Selwood or Patrick Dangerfield. You wanna drop PD for Charlie? What about our captain??

He is surplus.

I think that goes back a way so no surprises about that recent article.

I think the think on CC has been defined for a while. If he could run and cover bground like Miers he would probably have a better chance. Just a fact of life that old guys or not there will be churn.. and as much as I liked him in the u18's, at afl level he is not a good fit for us..especially with what the mc wants from players ..time to look elsewhere..if he can find a multi year deal elsewhere..and with list reductions best for all if goes and we try to add some with more talent.

Actually the way i wrote it was the exact way i heard it on radio. Ps. The words dont matter if the action is the same. A 21 year old mid that is contracted, has shown some promise, plays a position where we have little other options under the age of 27 has been told by the club that they dont want to honour the contract and want him to go somewhere else. At 21.
You are taking radio talk as official club statements? WTF.

The club has obviously got wind of him looking around, and have given their blessing to him to do that if he chooses to. They also said if he finds no suitors he is still contracted for next year.

Where TF did they say they don't want to honour his contract? Charlie is the one who has made the enquiries at other clubs. Geelong were not the ones telling him to GTFO. He has obviously initiated all of it.

Don't twist the facts and make bullshit statements. It's ridiculous and makes you look like a drama queen.

This isnt about constable playing, its about him remaining on the list.

ps. Selwood is in his last season next year. Dangerfield is also moving to the foward line. Atkins played permanent mid at the end of the season. Atkins should not be a mid. He is parsons level bad. Parsons by the way got 5 years at geelong to show his worth despite showing very little talent wise. Geelong is trying to ship Constable off after 3 years. You are ignoring the age aspect.

Sorry Turbo.

He is surplus.
Again selwood is gone after 2021. Dangerfield not long after. You going to replace them with 18-19 year olds?

This isnt about constable playing, its about him remaining on the list.

ps. Selwood is in his last season next year. Dangerfield is also moving to the foward line. Atkins played permanent mid at the end of the season. Atkins should not be a mid. He is parsons level bad. Parsons by the way got 5 years at geelong to show his worth despite showing very little talent wise. Geelong is trying to ship Constable off after 3 years. You are ignoring the age aspect.
Again selwood is gone after 2021. Dangerfield not long after. You going to replace them with 18-19 year olds?
What on earth are you waffling on about. He wants out as he isn't getting games, and the reasons are clear.
The age aspect doesn't matter, the talent aspect is what matters, and he has clear flaws that are holding him back.

Something has seriously gone wrong with our youth. Just 1 year ago we were all talking about how we finally had a good batch of youth coming along again.

5 of those struggled to get in the team this year and are all right now interviewing with other clubs either cos geelong wants them to leave or they want to leave.

This is just an opinion mind you, but I think the lack of any kind of reserves competition in season 2020 SERIOUSLY hampered the 'meritocracy' structure of the in/out flow of the team. As I understand it all selectors had to go on were 'scratch matches'!

Of course other teams copped this as well.

3 of them played in a GF, one was dropped just before finals and one has been best 22 but suffered from injuries.

5/8 will have a big future at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back