Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a pro-Constable but comparing him to Selwood just emphasises why he's struggled to break into the side. Has a fraction of the game Selwood did at the same age.

Quite possibly but in raw figures his numbers stack up very well.

After 9 games:
-------------------
Selwood = 17.2 disposals per game
Constable = 20.6 disposals per game

It really seems to be more about what he can't do than looking at what he can do.

Quite possibly but in raw figures his numbers stack up very well.

After 9 games:
-------------------
Selwood = 17.2 disposals per game
Constable = 20.6 disposals per game

It really seems to be more about what he can't do than looking at what he can do.
Yep the data with Constable stacks up with absolutely anyone. Better than the very best in most if not all cases.

Not so sure improving ones tank really is an easy fix, and it's not like Constable is the only player across the league where their tank has been questioned which also leads to the idea that it's not an easy fix

Some players are more natural athletes, with guys like Blicavs, Menegola & O'Connor often leading the way in the endurance running at the club over the pre-season

Would hope that Constable has improved his tank since arriving, but he may just be one of those players who's going to be limited to that 60% - 70% game time, while occasionally pushing 75% and just not have the endurance to repeatedly run out 80%
Who knows? Guthrie was playing really low game time for ages. Then when given way more last year he was perfectly fine.

Who knows? Guthrie was playing really low game time for ages. Then when given way more last year he was perfectly fine.

Can't remember who it was I chatted with last year regarding Guthrie & he's TOG, and they mentioned about Guthrie's heart issue/concern which was only diagnosed in recent years (maybe even only last pre-season), and the difference the diagnosis & treatment can make in that situation

Can't remember who it was I chatted with last year regarding Guthrie & he's TOG, and they mentioned about Guthrie's heart issue/concern which was only diagnosed in recent years (maybe even only last pre-season), and the difference the diagnosis & treatment can make in that situation
Ahhh. I didn't know that.

I don't know whether Narkle or Stephens were injured but it's a good sign for him that he's being picked ahead of them. He'll get a few chances this year at some point. But he's got to grab them with both hands similar to what Simpson did because this midfield is not easy to break in to. Duncan, Guthrie, Selwood, Parfitt, Dangerfield and Higgins are all certain starters to begin the year and we don't need more center bounce midfielders than that.

The one real knock on him in his early games was that he didn't win the ball at clearances much, especially center clearances. If he can become dominant enough in clearances that we can shift Duncan, Parfitt, etc to more outside roles that's how he can get in the team. But racking up possessions in transition while not having the tank to run out games or get back defensively isn't going to do the job. He needs clearances to be his 1-wood.

It's an interesting question. It could well be asked do you need to though? Where else can Selwood play?

Versatility is great, but being very good in only position is still preferable to being average in many.
Bloody oath he does.

Selwood is declining and still better than what Constable is. Constable has shown merely a fraction of what Selwood has at the same age. Plays low time on ground and can’t play anywhere else.

We cannot carry a mid who spends 30-40% time and can’t rest or rotate elsewhere.

Not so sure improving ones tank really is an easy fix, and it's not like Constable is the only player across the league where their tank has been questioned which also leads to the idea that it's not an easy fix

Some players are more natural athletes, with guys like Blicavs, Menegola & O'Connor often leading the way in the endurance running at the club over the pre-season

Would hope that Constable has improved his tank since arriving, but he may just be one of those players who's going to be limited to that 60% - 70% game time, while occasionally pushing 75% and just not have the endurance to repeatedly run out 80%
Obviously some people have a naturally higher aerobic capacity, compared to others. They can test for this via Vo2 max. Which measures the bodies ability to inhale oxygen during exercise. Maybe it’s just that he has a lower aerobic ceiling, and may never be an aerobic beast like blicavs or menegola.

But that’s something we will never know. All we are going on is theories about his tank. Who knows, it may not even be an issue, and it’s other parts of his game holding him back?

Would I be wrong in assuming Isaac Smith, Blitz, and Menegola would be the top 3 enduros in the league?

I don't know what this year holds for Chook, but I will point out one 'for' and one 'against'

Against -

Can't play more than one position, had his chance for another club to pick him up last trade period - not one club enquired.

For -

Seems to have shed that 'skinny fat' that he has carried around since her was drafted, and looked noticeably bigger in the contest when I was watching him. Seemed to cover ground better, and it appears the lack of interest and competition, has galvanized him over the off-season

I think the key differences between the former and the latter are, that given comments made by the Geelong hierarchy over the off-season about 'playing a rotating squad to give exposure to the younger guys', means he will get his shot at some point - unlike previous years.

It's important to acknowledge that he has made improvements this off-season, and seems to have taken onboard the hard work it takes to maintain your place on an AFL list - especially with list cuts due to COVID. I would have no issue with us trading or delisting him last year, but given what I've heard about him this pre-season, and what I saw during his brief stint against Essendon in the Community series, I'm pleasantly surprised at what I've seen.

I think we all get bogged down in 'hating' on players, based on their past exploits, rather than their current ones.

Zach Guthrie is another that has copped this, but I thought he too looked noticeably bigger (something Brad Johnson even referred to while commentating) and more assured in the contest. That contested mark he took while forward was ace, as was his pinpoint bullet delivery to Hawk on the lead - something which Hawk acknowledged, and you could see he was very impressed with. Another that I think has been written off too quickly, given the significant improvements I saw on Saturday.

Can copped the same crap for years here too, even though he was constantly played out of position. Won AA selection and the Carji in a Grand Final side when he finally did get unleashed.

If players keep improving, that's all we can ask. Someone like Dahl has stagnated and regressed, so deserves criticism where its given. Same with Kolo and Tuohy. If Constable doesn't improve this year, then criticize him. Until then, I think he deserves a chance, as he's clearly taken a lot on board over the off-season, and shouldn't be judged on his form prior to that.

Would I be wrong in assuming Isaac Smith, Blitz, and Menegola would be the top 3 enduros in the league?

Brad Hill would probs be ahead of Smith and could be Top 3. Blitz is Number 1 now that Scully has retired. Menegola would probs be in the Top 10, but there's plenty like Walsh, Gaff, Ben Keays, and other randos off the top of my head, that could be in the convo. All I know for sure though, is Blitz is first, and then Brad Hill not far behind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad Hill would probs be ahead of Smith and could be Top 3. Blitz is Number 1 now that Scully has retired. Menegola would probs be in the Top 10, but there's plenty like Walsh, Gaff, Ben Keays, and other randos off the top of my head, that could be in the convo. All I know for sure though, is Blitz is first, and then Brad Hill not far behind
Cheers.

Dont brad hill and smith have fast twitch muscles? i cant possibly believe that any of the best endurance players in the league would be fast twitch players.

Add in Gaff & Whitfield as obvious others

This is from 2019, and some interesting names in these 2 lists

1615174041962.jpeg

1615174060488.jpeg

Obviously some people have a naturally higher aerobic capacity, compared to others. They can test for this via Vo2 max. Which measures the bodies ability to inhale oxygen during exercise. Maybe it’s just that he has a lower aerobic ceiling, and may never be an aerobic beast like blicavs or menegola.

But that’s something we will never know. All we are going on is theories about his tank. Who knows, it may not even be an issue, and it’s other parts of his game holding him back?
He talked about working over the last offseason with Grigg on his first few steps away from a stoppage - both with and without the ball.

With respect to Geelong players you should add Miers to that group.....
That's true. Miers does a lot of running.
I always thought Smith and Blitz were the 2 very best for some reason.
Maybe over a 2k time trial? Not sure.
Need to get all the best ones on the tan track and figure it out.
They should do that! For real.

That's true. Miers does a lot of running.
I always thought Smith and Blitz were the 2 very best for some reason.
Maybe over a 2k time trial? Not sure.
Need to get all the best ones on the tan track and figure it out.
They should do that! For real.

I think you're right about Blitz and Smith....Menegola wasn't far behind Blitz but I read somewhere Miers was right with them.....

Put it this way mate...even at our best, we might have struggled to keep up. :D

It can not be about his tank this is his 4th year so that would have been easy fixed so forget about that crap...It is all about he can only play on ball and useless anywhere else, now how do you fix that?

Some players actually take longer than that to build a tank and some never build it. We just dont know where Charlie is on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back