Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constable is superior to horlin smith. stronger in the contest and his disposals do have impact cos he has genuine vision. Knows how to set plays up.
He can be better than ghs by the length of the flemington straight and still be too slow/unfit for modern footy

One thing i would add is that CCs disposal has improved. While moaning to friends at the brissy game that GFCs mids/HBacks can't kick accurately over distance to a player running into space, Charlie let one go over 45ms that was cm perfect. Made me shut up.

That's what he has to do to back up his ball finding skills.

sam Mitchell says hi.

there is no too slow in football if you can keep winning the pill.
Sam Mitchell played out full games.

Are you saying that after a blistering first quarter Constable was like "feeling good, shall we put me in the thick of the clearances again?" and Chris Scott was like "Nah mate, you've done enough, just jog around"

I'm trying to work out the logic behind "he's fit enough, it's just that the club's holding him back"

If he's fit enough to play 80% TOG in the guts and impact the match across 4 quarters, then surely it's something we'd be seeing the that the club would take advantage of
I had this discussion with cat empire in another thread but the fact his average TOG was higher in his first season, and the fact Parfitt's average TOG has dropped significantly this season, suggests to me that the reduction in rotations means that guys are getting stuck on the bench and we can't see TOG purely as a measure of fitness anymore.

I had this discussion with cat empire in another thread but the fact his average TOG was higher in his first season, and the fact Parfitt's average TOG has dropped significantly this season, suggests to me that the reduction in rotations means that guys are getting stuck on the bench and we can't see TOG purely as a measure of fitness anymore.
I think it would increase the variance but should average out to the same level. Also, if you're going to run out of interchanges it would pay to make sure that the players stuck on the bench are the ones with limited endurance. Give it a few more rounds to average out.

I think it would increase the variance but should average out to the same level. Also, if you're going to run out of interchanges it would pay to make sure that the players stuck on the bench are the ones with limited endurance. Give it a few more rounds to average out.
Yeah Smith said on Krock high endurance players were expected to stay out there and IIRC the players with 85%+ TOG were KPP, defenders, and Miers, O'Connor and Smith. I don't think there's any doubt that Constable is not a natural endurance athlete but that doesn't mean the 55% shows he was completely gassed.

Yeah Smith said on Krock high endurance players were expected to stay out there and IIRC the players with 85%+ TOG were KPP, defenders, and Miers, O'Connor and Smith. I don't think there's any doubt that Constable is not a natural endurance athlete but that doesn't mean the 55% shows he was completely gassed.
Yeah potentially, though it also indicates he probably hasn't improved. I just really like the concept that he becomes the sub, his weaknesses are hidden, and we smash sides in 4th quarter clearances

For all the discussions about 'vibe' and the like, my sense of watching the game on Friday night was:

* First half - useful, involved and effective
* Second half - barely sighted winning the ball, not involved and ineffective (either offensively or defensviely)

To clarify my second observation, I did still see him out there in the second half. He was just no longer winning the ball or affecting the contest. And didn't contribute anything to either taking possession himself or stopping Brisbane get the ball out into space and away. Evidenced by his four possessions in the entire half and negligible influence on the game when it was there to be won.

In the end, I believe we can all see that the number of accountable mids we have in the team is low. And Charlie (particularly later in games) certainly isn't helping to alleviate that issue. Which means that Danger, Duncan, Sels, Mena and Guth (despite their perceived deficiencies defensively) are all going to play ahead of him at any given time, as they are clearly superior players right now.

And then you have Parf and Simpson, who clearly provide more capacity to lock on and lay tackles than Chook as well. Added to that, MOC comes in last game and does a brilliant job in close against a key opposition mid.

All adds up to the fact that he's not likely to find it easy to stay in the team going forward, particularly when his versatility is hardly noteworthy.

Anyway, as has been noted earlier, let the circle work here continue unabated. The only objectively inane notion that keeps raising its head is that the coaching staff deliberately disadvantage the team by keeping a known gun off the field when we truly need him. Like the narrative about how prized he would be by other clubs at trade time last year, that is demonstrably false and just a wilful denial of reality.

Last edited:
Constable is superior to horlin smith. stronger in the contest and his disposals do have impact cos he has genuine vision. Knows how to set plays up.
That's how I saw GHS as well. When he was on, he was rather good. Let's just hope Chook takes the next step. Still looks like a preseason in the gym is what he needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep seems that way. For his own sake he needs to get out...if he can find a suitor.
Can he find one though?

He was apparently looking at his options back in 2019, last year the club was open in supporting him look at his options and seemed to be silence in terms of suitors

I know he was contracted for this season and being out of contract or potentially a delisted free agent may make him a cheaper option, not sure there would have been a high price on his head at the trade table

Funny how reducing cap rotations to 75 and opening the game up to make it slightly faster is going to kill the inside mid yet all the best inside mids thrived in the days where we had 5-15 rotations a game, played free flowing footy and we played on monster grounds like Waverley where the Wingers had all this space to run.

certainly didn’t inhibit Greg Williams, Paul couch, Scott West, Brett ratten. Darin cresswell, Adrian Fletcher, Andrew jarman, Chris mainwaring et al.

Funny how reducing cap rotations to 75 and opening the game up to make it slightly faster is going to kill the inside mid yet all the best inside mids thrived in the days where we had 5-15 rotations a game, played free flowing footy and we played on monster grounds like Waverley where the Wingers had all this space to run.

certainly didn’t inhibit Greg Williams, Paul couch, Scott West, Brett ratten. Darin cresswell, Adrian Fletcher, Andrew jarman, Chris mainwaring et al.
Yeah, all we need is professional AFL defensive systems to go in the bin and Chook could be a Brownlow medallist. Do you want to email the coaches?

Potentially an early Crow there but accurate for Constable. Positional inflexibility is why he hasn't played more to date and it doesn't seem to have improved.

It's even simpler.

If pace is the issue, then simply do not recruit any players who aren't quick. Stop wasting everyone's time.

Problem solved.

It's even simpler.

If pace is the issue, then simply do not recruit any players who aren't quick. Stop wasting everyone's time.

Problem solved.
Well the last draft we recruited 2 players who were competing at the national level in athletics and Nick Steven who I think tested well enough at the combine.

So yeah, seems like that's the go

It's even simpler.

Problem solved.

In this instance though I don’t think it’s just his lack of pace. I think it’s his inability to stay in games for 4 quarters. And his lack of defensive ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back