Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm now a big fan of give him a go and lets just see where it gets us.

Agree with that.

Having said that - big difference between Cripps and Chook. Cripps is a massive, mobile almost unstoppable ball winning beast with tackle breaking power and is very good by foot. Whilst Chook looks like a good contested ball winner, he’s miles behind Cripps in every other facet. It was immediately obvious that Cripps was going to be a AA star, just needed a good first AFL preseason. Chook has some work cut out to earn a regular spot and still may not.

Last edited:

Agree with that.

Having said that - big difference between Cripps and Chook. Cripps is a massive, mobile almost unstoppable ball winning beast with tackle breaking power and is very good by foot. Whilst Chook looks like a good contested ball winner, he’s miles behind Cripps in every other facet. It was immediately obvious that Cripps was going to be a AA star, just needed a good first AFL preseason. Chook has some work cut out to earn a regular spot and still may not.

Of course he is. He's almost six years younger and has played a mere 95 less games.

At the same time though, it wasn't a vast gulf at all. After 7 games:

Cripps: averaged 16.57 disposals per game
Constable: averages 21.42 disposals per game

So if you can find me a sane argument why Constable is so unworthy of a senior spot I'd love to hear it. Because on actual output - this little thing for a midfielder called getting the ball - he's ahead of plenty.

Last edited:
Of course he is. He's almost six years younger and has played a mere 95 less games.

So if you can find me a sane argument why Constable is so unwilling for a senior spot I'd love to hear it. Because on actual output - this little thing for a midfielder called getting the ball - he's ahead of plenty.
The weird thing is he does really well in last quarters. Yet he has no fitness!
Strange.

So if you can find me a sane argument why Constable is so unworthy of a senior spot I'd love to hear it. Because on actual output - this little thing for a midfielder called getting the ball - he's ahead of plenty.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m actually a fan of Constable. But it would be wrong to point to the first seven games differential as an indicator that Charlie can be like Cripps - he would need to be faster off the first 5 metres, and lot more effective by foot. Cripps is also almost a talisman for Carlton.

I think that a Diesel Williams is a better role model for Charlie. Aside from strength Diesel didn’t have great athletic attributes but was the best constant extractor, and great play reader. Only issue with these types is that the lack of speed means they can only keep a spot if their ball winning is so damaging to the opposition that they have to play hard tags rather than simply running off them. Good start by Charlie and he is capable of 30 possession plus games going forward - but I’m just not sure he’ll be so damaging that oppositions won’t simply just exploit his lack of speed.

For me, he’s a chance to replace Joel when he retires - probably our slowest mid now. If Joel is injured in the next season, I’d be bringing Charlie in as his replacement.

With a strain of Menegola; all 3 of them get 100% Handpass DE by shovelling it 2 metres to a team-mate who is then left with all the work of finding a way of doing something effective with it.

Reckon we've got slightly more exposed form on Menegola. Seeing that 66 is just a fraction higher than 7. Otherwise they're twins really.

Reckon we've got slightly more exposed form on Menegola. Seeing that 66 is just a fraction higher than 7. Otherwise they're twins really.
Yes, he's young and inexperienced and has time to improve; he gets the ball, which is a very important asset that can't be taught.
He has said himself that he knows he has to improve his disposal.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, he's young and inexperienced and has time to improve; he gets the ball, which is a very important asset that can't be taught.
He has said himself that he knows he has to improve his disposal.

In footy for a midfielder you'd think it's the number one asset. Which is probably why Spazz and myself are saying just maybe he should get an opportunity. No one has ever said he's a certain superstar.

But who cares how many times you get it, it’s all about defending.

Club must have missed the part about not needing to defend, if you get the ball first :mad:
Plus his endurance is still a concern , you can’t gift games they have to earn it by improving on the areas the club has asked them to

Doesn't matter how many times you get it if your disposal is below standard and needs work, something he has admitted is the case.
I still think if he was fitter he would be getting more games despite the flaws, something both Narkle and Parfitt have worked on the last few years.

He has had a few pre-seasons and worked hard at his endurance. The shortened quarters help too. It’s really no excuse to keep him out now.
Hard to say without being involved at the club , without any real game time to observe it’s hard to gauge his improved fitness.

on face value you’d think after a few pre season you’d be right that it has improved, so maybe he’s still not up the standards being asked.

Hard to say without being involved at the club , without any real game time to observe it’s hard to gauge his improved fitness.

on face value you’d think after a few pre season you’d be right that it has improved, so maybe he’s still not up the standards being asked.

If it's hard to gauge his fitness with no real game time, how do they then determine that his standard is not up to scratch?

If it's hard to gauge his fitness with no real game time, how do they then determine that his standard is not up to scratch?
They would be monitoring his progress like everyone else on the list, they would have more data and information than what we would have that’s for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back