Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it means anything, but Cripps was 190cm, 90kg when he was first drafted, he's now 195cm, 93kg. Chook is currently 191cm, 86kg so fairly similar dimensions (though science says boys typically stop growing height-wise at 18, with some exceptions), similar roles and playing styles. Chook averaged 26 disposals at the champs, Cripps averaged only 19. Obviously we can't draw comparisons after just one JLT game, but there are parallels there for sure.

After 22 disposals first JLT if he goes 25+ would he come into consideration for rd1?
Future rising star nominee?

Last edited:
After 22 disposals first JLT if he goes 25+ would he come into consideration for rd1?

I’d think he’d have to be considered. He’s also shown last year that he’s versatile and can play at either end.

It would be hard not to consider him if he did that... but there are a couple of handy potential inclusions round 1 that rightly would go past him.

Very much would be setting himself up Zach Guth style for a strong season and potential senior games later in the year.

I was talking to Mick Turner just after we drafted him and he had concerns about Constable being a bit soft.

I feel like he's proven already that he definitely isn't soft, at least with his attack on the footy. His bowling ball act at the legs of a couple Suns players was wreckless but I thought it was a great sign of desperation to try and win an average contest.

Going off his highlight reels he seems to have a really good releasing handball for outside/attacking mids which will help for clearances out of stoppages.

His game for VicM v.s. SA at Etihad is an awesome example of his awareness in congestion to find the best option and release them with his hands.

Probably what I like most about the way he plays is that he plays to his strengths by never seeming to be too hungry. He always brings his teammates into the game. As soon as he takes a grab he looks forward and laterally to see if he can quickly pass to someone else and he's usually quite clean which is important since he clearly isn't a fast runner.

Seems to just get his job done without needing to be too flashy.

Not sure where he gets a spot in the AFL this year though? Maybe off half back late in the season? Round 19 against Brisbane at KP??

If anyone takes note of that footy prophet site.... Or my podcast on the year before draft, then you'd be familiar with Budda (Craig Byrnes) who is a gun with the draft stuff

His tweet after last week's game was glowing for Constable

Ugly scoreboard, but good to see the kids get a run. Good example of what Constable brings, he reads a stoppage better than most & will release it by hand gift wrapped once that strength develops. Gets to plenty of contests despite that low endurance base. And Kelly, Rnd 1 lock.

Also worth pointing out pre draft night he tweeted saying
Charlie Constable or Tim Kelly please @GeelongCats

Fair to say he was happy

At half time has 10 touches (2 contested) at 90% disposal efficiency, 5 marks and 1 tackle.

Has been starting in quite a few centre bounces which would be good experience for him.

Should start the season in the VFL but showing good signs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kid is growing on me, he will be a big unit once he has some decent pre seasons under his belt

Constable was good again. He already understands the game well and reads it well. I agree that he now needs to work on his body (power) and hone his kicking skills (although he was being conservative I suspect).

He is shaping up nicely. I would pick him as the first 18yo added this year to debut.

Constable was good again. He already understands the game well and reads it well. I agree that he now needs to work on his body (power) and hone his kicking skills (although he was being conservative I suspect).

He is shaping up nicely. I would pick him as the first 18yo added this year to debut.

Fogarty or Miers should debut before him only because our forward 50 pressure is poor. But Constable seems a good prospect.

Fogarty or Miers should debut before him only because our forward 50 pressure is poor. But Constable seems a good prospect.
Miers hasn't done enough in the pre-season to warrant selection in round 1. In fact all of our small forwards haven't.

Miers hasn't done enough in the pre-season to warrant selection in round 1. In fact all of our small forwards haven't.
I'd suggest Jones has done the most and may get a crack, but even still he hasn't done a heap

That said for a small forward it's about pressure and taking their opportunities.. Especially for a rookie one, so he doesn't have to do heaps, just what is asked of him

So let's not play any small forwards.

Miers has had the best pre-season form out of any of those vying for a small forward spot (Parsons, Parfitt, Gregson, Jones, Cockatoo, McCarthy, Cunico, etc.).

Very hard to gauge ... what one of these small forwards would be like within our best 22 ... but I have not seen any small player that has demanded selection. If Linc was fit he would be an obvious selection ...but with Danger out Constanable in the side mainly forward but can play a couple of minutes wouldnt be the strangest selection. And of course our best defe forward is Cockatoo... who seems to be destined to be a never fit type.

So let's not play any small forwards.

Miers has had the best pre-season form out of any of those vying for a small forward spot (Parsons, Parfitt, Gregson, Jones, Cockatoo, McCarthy, Cunico, etc.).
Only Jones and McCarthy are small forwards from that list and Miers hasn't done enough. 1 goals?

I'd suggest Jones has done the most and may get a crack, but even still he hasn't done a heap

That said for a small forward it's about pressure and taking their opportunities.. Especially for a rookie one, so he doesn't have to do heaps, just what is asked of him
I'd hazard a guess they'll go into round 1 with Menzel in a pocket alongside Hawkins, with much the same set-up as last year.

We really need somebody to grab the bull by the horns and start kicking goals.

Who would you pick?

Stanley and Crameri will probably not get up.
Cockatoo is line ball you'd think.

Hawkins, Menzel and Parfitt is 3 players. Need 6 + an I/C bench forward option.

Who would you pick?

Stanley and Crameri will probably not get up.
Cockatoo is line ball you'd think.

Hawkins, Menzel and Parfitt is 3 players. Need 6 + an I/C bench forward option.
If I were to choose based on JLT and the need for a small forward, then Jones or Fogarty. I thought Fogarty was stiff to miss JLT 2 and he's pressure is second to none.

As for the rest ... no idea at this stage given I don't know who we have available.

SkittleCats Let me clarify from Sunday. I have no issue with Constable.
In time I think we'll have a quality footballer on our hands.

Just disagree with 3 uncapped players having toast/universal thread prefixes. It hasn't yet been earned.
thats what i used to say about blicavs. although i at least waited to his third season. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back