Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping that our clubs can come up with a trade between Higgins and Constable, In all honestly what do you all think would be a fair deal. Straight swap, draft pick swaps etc. Higgins has at least another 2 years of great footy in him as he keeps himself so fit and focused. I really dont want to lose him but I guess its going to happen. He will be a great get for your team. Another A grader in a already very good side. Congrats on your year by the way, I was hoping you would have beaten the Tiges.Cheers

If North were open to Constable then a swap of players & later picks (maybe even future picks) could be a good option for all - would it be more beneficial for North to have 2020 picks or future picks?

Constable was a second round pick but I know we wouldn't get that alone for him based on output, so a combination could work well for both teams

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I am hoping that our clubs can come up with a trade between Higgins and Constable, In all honestly what do you all think would be a fair deal. Straight swap, draft pick swaps etc. Higgins has at least another 2 years of great footy in him as he keeps himself so fit and focused. I really dont want to lose him but I guess its going to happen. He will be a great get for your team. Another A grader in a already very good side. Congrats on your year by the way, I was hoping you would have beaten the Tiges.Cheers

Constable has a heap of games ahead of him if he is good enough, Higgins good enough but has limited games. A swap would probably see us adding to Constable now .. but its going to go down to whats left after deals are done. We will get something for Cockatoo ..and a few other players may or may not be moved on. Cameron is the blocker..till that is done , everything else is blocked.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
If North were open to Constable then a swap of players & later picks (maybe even future picks) could be a good option for all - would it be more beneficial for North to have 2020 picks or future picks?

Constable was a second round pick but I know we wouldn't get that alone for him based on output, so a combination could work well for both teams

Right now ..player like Constable, Fog etc... that will be on more than Y1Y2 contract probably only use up cap space as I think neither are in our best 22 plans.

This isnt about constable playing, its about him remaining on the list.

ps. Selwood is in his last season next year. Dangerfield is also moving to the foward line. Atkins played permanent mid at the end of the season. Atkins should not be a mid. He is parsons level bad. Parsons by the way got 5 years at geelong to show his worth despite showing very little talent wise. Geelong is trying to ship Constable off after 3 years. You are ignoring the age aspect.
Are the cats trying to ship him off or has he been actively seeking passage?

Are the cats trying to ship him off or has he been actively seeking passage?
6 of one/half a dozen the other

There's others who seemed to have passed Constable & be preferred options in terms of the youth coming then through

Obviously been speculation about Constable's future since last year, and this year the club have told him that he's welcome to explore his options and if a suitable trade presents, they'll take it from there

And if nothing presents itself then we move on from the trade period & get back to work once preseason begins

Wouldn't exactly say he's been shipped off, but the club isn't going to stand in his way if another opportunity presents itself and it can be beneficial for both parties

Maybe swap Norths pick 28 for your pick 20 and Higgins for Constable or something similar
Sounds like he's not fussed on taking Higgins given he's apparently put a take it or leave it offer on the table, and given there's no other clubs currently asking for Constable that means Constable isn't part of the proposed Higgins trade.

Also, Wells has never really put down any draft capital for older players so I don't think he about to start now. I don't think he'd take a material hit to draft position for a player who could get injured rd1 and retire. Likely his take it or leave it position is pick 33 with a view that north are reasonably likely to say leave it

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
It will go up out of sight if he puts in a solid preseason and runs

I reckon Constable's a potential gun midfielder in the making, so much potential and upside here if people only knew.
He's a goalkicker as well as an accumulator inside and outside. To me he's proven he has the ability and talent to go next level and be a factor not just a passenger, one l wouldn't let go.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Sounds like he's not fussed on taking Higgins given he's apparently put a take it or leave it offer on the table, and given there's no other clubs currently asking for Constable that means Constable isn't part of the proposed Higgins trade.

Also, Wells has never really put down any draft capital for older players so I don't think he about to start now. I don't think he'd take a material hit to draft position for a player who could get injured rd1 and retire. Likely his take it or leave it position is pick 33 with a view that north are reasonably likely to say leave it

I wouldn't be getting rid of Constable for Higgins atm Charlie is on the cusp and his stats prove to me at least that he's got a big future when he gets a chance.

I wouldn't be getting rid of Constable for Higgins atm Charlie is on the cusp and his stats prove to me at least that he's got a big future when he gets a chance.

Maybe he will have a big future, but when you start considering silence from other clubs, that St Kilda was meant to be interested last year but they've gone quiet on him this year, it starts to look like he's not seen by many within the industry as someone with a big future ahead of him

I know a bit got made of him last year as being a big bodied midfielder, strong clearance player etc, but we have other young players who showed more then him in those areas & more versatility to their games, and it's that lack of versatility which may be what's holding him back

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe he will have a big future, but when you start considering silence from other clubs, that St Kilda was meant to be interested last year but they've gone quiet on him this year, it starts to look like he's not seen by many within the industry as someone with a big future ahead of him

I know a bit got made of him last year as being a big bodied midfielder, strong clearance player etc, but we have other young players who showed more then him in those areas & more versatility to their games, and it's that lack of versatility which may be what's holding him back

He still has his 21 average from his first year and rising star, that hasn't changed, what did change was a weird 2020 season
that obviously prevented the development of many talented youth across the AFL.
How much bigger and stronger will he become from a first year kid to a third year
senior prospect that has a proven record already???

He still has his 21 average from his first year and rising star, that hasn't changed, what did change was a weird 2020 season
that obviously prevented the development of many talented youth across the AFL.
How much bigger and stronger will he become from a first year kid to a third year
senior prospect that has a proven record already???

Last year was his second season though and next year is his 4th year, so maybe that's also contributing to other teams currently keeping their distance - 9 games in 3 years, with questions over endurance, pace & versatility has maybe currently scared others off

Totally agree this year was a strange year, but the fact that as a third year player & in shorter games he didn't play more than 65% of either match, may have raised eyebrows about his endurance & what's going to happen with longer games

Regardless if he stays at Geelong or finds a new home late in the trade period, this experience may well act as a wake up call - the talk around him potentially moving was based on the idea him wanting more opportunity. With no apparent interest to date it doesn't appear he'd currently be walking into many/if any teams best 22 for round 1 next year

I think the best option for both Constable & Geelong is if a trade can be done because I don't think we'll see the best of Constable if he stays - this is the second trade period there's been reports of him looking to change team

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Last year was his second season though and next year is his 4th year, so maybe that's also contributing to other teams currently keeping their distance - 9 games in 3 years, with questions over endurance, pace & versatility has maybe currently scared others off

Totally agree this year was a strange year, but the fact that as a third year player & in shorter games he didn't play more than 65% of either match, may have raised eyebrows about his endurance & what's going to happen with longer games

Regardless if he stays at Geelong or finds a new home late in the trade period, this experience may well act as a wake up call - the talk around him potentially moving was based on the idea him wanting more opportunity. With no apparent interest to date it doesn't appear he'd currently be walking into many/if any teams best 22 for round 1 next year

I think the best option for both Constable & Geelong is if a trade can be done because I don't think we'll see the best of Constable if he stays - this is the second trade period there's been reports of him looking to change team

Personally l believe the lack of endurance factor is a false one like mud that sticks.
It's normal that any new play gets a lesser percentage of game time in senior games that's nothing to do with his endurance or lack of it
That he got 21 disposals off 65% game time should raise the alarm as to how good could this guy could be!

Personally l believe the lack of endurance factor is a false one like mud that sticks.
It's normal that any new play gets a lesser percentage of game time in senior games that's nothing to do with his endurance or lack of it
That he got 21 disposals off 65% game time should raise the alarm as to how good could this guy could be!
Then why aren't clubs lining up for his services?

When other clubs are enquiring about the likes of Fogarty, Parfitt, Narkle, Ratugolea, O'Connor & SDK, but ignoring the guy who available for a trade, the lack of interest says a lot

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Then why aren't clubs lining up for his services?

When other clubs are enquiring about the likes of Fogarty, Parfitt, Narkle, Ratugolea, O'Connor & SDK, but ignoring the guy who available for a trade, the lack of interest says a lot

Beats me,... his stats kill the others apart from Parfitt who l like a lot, but l wouldn't be comtemptating selling off SDK either we just lost Harry.

Last edited:
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

The lack of interest from other clubs might be exactly what he needs. The denial of an easy path of getting gifted games at another club, might make him realise he will get delisted, possibly next year, if he doesn’t put the work in to better himself where he is. He’d want to work damn hard over the off-season, or it’s probably all over for him.

He probably thinks he could go to another club, cruise by with minimal effort, and still get games. The lack of interest in him should be a wake up call that it’s not going to be that easy.

If he doesn’t turn up after the christmas break with another 5kg on his frame, then you know he’s probably done.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The lack of interest from other clubs might be exactly what he needs. The denial of an easy path of getting gifted games at another club, might make him realise he will get delisted, possibly next year, if he doesn’t put the work in to better himself where he is. He’d want to work damn hard over the off-season, or it’s probably all over for him.

He probably thinks he could go to another club, cruise by with minimal effort, and still get games. The lack of interest in him should be a wake up call that it’s not going to be that easy.

If he doesn’t turn up after the christmas break with another 5kg on his frame, then you know he’s probably done.

No he probably thinks none of this, it's what you believe and that's about it.

Danger2Selwood

Team Captain
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong

It’s not everything, but the club posted a pic last year of the players down at the beach and obviously the boys had the rigs out. Charlie genuinely has the rig of a skinny-fat 15 year old boy, seriously he might even have Stevie J covered in the skin-folds department. Nothing wrong with that body if you're just a regular Joe from accounting, but this is an elite AFL player we're taking about.

Again it’s not everything. Dane Swan had a gut and was a champion, GAJ is arguably the GOAT and was never rock-hard fit. However it doesn’t bode well for his professionalism which is obviously what’s being questioned with his inability to improve his running ability.

Imo Charlie needs to have a long hard look at himself and think "Am I really doing everything I can here?" whether that be diet, training, soaking up the knowledge of the leaders at the club etc etc.

Don't want to be too judgemental but from what the club has said and what his lack of improvement suggests is that he's doing none of the above. Fix that and maybe you'll be in the team, Charlie.

Strap him to Joel or even Cooper Stephens for the pre season and see where it gets him. Immediate improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2013
The 'switch
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hockeyroos
No he probably thinks none of this, it's what you believe and that's about it.

There's one sentence in the post you're replying to that guesses at what another person is thinking:

"The lack of interest from other clubs might be exactly what he needs. The denial of an easy path of getting gifted games at another club, might make him realise he will get delisted, possibly next year, if he doesn’t put the work in to better himself where he is. He’d want to work damn hard over the off-season, or it’s probably all over for him. He probably thinks he could go to another club, cruise by with minimal effort, and still get games. The lack of interest in him should be a wake up call that it’s not going to be that easy. If he doesn’t turn up after the christmas break with another 5kg on his frame, then you know he’s probably done."

All seems like a pretty plausible opinion to me. Worth facing up to the fact that CC's management has made it known, two years running, that he's open to going elsewhere but, to this point, nothing has turned up. His best hope is probably North, just because of numbers, but if list sizes are reduced and the market is flooded with an extra 36 or 54 players, then it's going to be very tough to find a new home. We'll probably never know the precise configuration of reasons but he's clearly in trouble list wise at the Cats and will need to find new levels of physical preparation, versatility, and application if he's to have a footy career. It's a brutal industry, in many ways.

Wasn't the talk last year that St Kilda had shown interest - do we know how serious that was & if it even made it to the discussion table or was it more in the media than anything else? Whether he'd find things easier at another club is unknown, but it's clear there's no easy path to being best 22

I'm not sure on his junior career, but being that bigger bodied midfielder he may have found himself closer to the top of selection throughout junior career and used to playing in the guts every week

It's interesting that read over articles from prior to the 2017 draft & see what they say about him versus where we picked him up & what we have seen from him over the past 3 seasons. At one stage touted as a potential top 10 pick, but slipped to 36

But while Brayshaw has suddenly entered the frame as a contender to go to Brisbane with Pick 1, deciphering where Constable will fall has become more difficult.

Once considered a chance to be selected inside the top 10, there is now talk he may slip until the latter stages of the first round and potentially even early in the second round.

FOOTYOLOGY’S DRAFT RANKINGS – NO. 17: CHARLIE CONSTABLE
One elite attribute: Clearances. Tall, classy ball winner who is great at extracting the ball from stoppages but gets burned on the outside with his lack of pace.

Best-case comparison: Jack Macrae

WHAT HE’S GOT
Height:
Racks up contested possessions all day and his height allows him to see outside runners smaller players can’t. Very good at handballing over defenders and rarely gets caught with the ball.

Wingspan: Uses his long arms to quickly grab the ball off the deck, mark balls over smaller midfielders and get fists to balls if he’s got a job in defence.

Endurance: Much like Marcus Bontempelli, he just cruises at a steady pace throughout the whole game and never lets up.

Versatility: Can definitely play a traditional lead-up forward role. Might be a little slow against the really dynamic forwards in defence but his clean disposal off half-back would be very valuable.

WHAT HE LACKS
Dare:
Constable doesn’t take chances like a Jaidyn Stephenson, Cam Rayner or Paddy Dow would. He’s probably not the player you can expect to break a game apart.

Speed: Constable moves well, but he’s just not capable of big runs through the guts and may even struggle with the speed of opposition midfielders

Leap: The Sandringham Dragon is strong in one-on-one contests but any sort of pack situation is a big ask.

I found the Footyology one quite interesting because they reference his endurance & versatility as strengths, but those are two areas that have question marks over them from what he's shown at senior level

1 - https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/d84e3b45bbe34a4ceb4be014aa54ddb8

2 - https://footyology.com.au/footyologys-draft-rankings-no-17-charlie-constable/

It’s not everything, but the club posted a pic last year of the players down at the beach and obviously the boys had the rigs out. Charlie genuinely has the rig of a skinny-fat 15 year old boy, seriously he might even have Stevie J covered in the skin-folds department. Nothing wrong with that body if you're just a regular Joe from accounting, but this is an elite AFL player we're taking about.

Again it’s not everything. Dane Swan had a gut and was a champion, GAJ is arguably the GOAT and was never rock-hard fit. However it doesn’t bode well for his professionalism which is obviously what’s being questioned with his inability to improve his running ability.

Imo Charlie needs to have a long hard look at himself and think "Am I really doing everything I can here?" whether that be diet, training, soaking up the knowledge of the leaders at the club etc etc.

Don't want to be too judgemental but from what the club has said and what his lack of improvement suggests is that he's doing none of the above. Fix that and maybe you'll be in the team, Charlie.

Strap him to Joel or even Cooper Stephens for the pre season and see where it gets him. Immediate improvement.

I can't find the pic from last year, but the second slide on the following Instagram post has a body video

And this one can be used for comparisons with Atkins, Miers & Stephens - Miers is the example of the guy with a bit of a gut, but you watch him out on the field & it's clearly not impacting his fitness or ability to run out matches

I can remember an article or comment about Atkins & his body transformation local footballer to VFL player to AFL player, and not sure if it was him or a teammate that said Atkins had gone from having an accountants body to a footballers body

Danger2Selwood

Team Captain
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
I can't find the pic from last year, but the second slide on the following Instagram post has a body video

And this one can be used for comparisons with Atkins, Miers & Stephens - Miers is the example of the guy with a bit of a gut, but you watch him out on the field & it's clearly not impacting his fitness or ability to run out matches

I can remember an article or comment about Atkins & his body transformation local footballer to VFL player to AFL player, and not sure if it was him or a teammate that said Atkins had gone from having an accountants body to a footballers body

Not as bad as I remember it being I must say, however the point still stands. He’s not as fit as he could be and an Avenue into the side would be showing up day one of pre season in tip top shape showing you’re committed to change, something Charlie hasn’t done yet. From the outside it looks more like a ‘Poor me’ scenario rather than actually taking action and doing everything the club has asked of you to get back in the side.

And the comment about Atkins was from Danger, do remember that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back