Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can’t he just continue to play as a medical sub? Clearly suited to the role and given he was on the scrap heap at end of last year, it is probably more of a role than expected.

I would keep him in this role most weeks.
I also thought that would have been a good move and maybe he will, but the starts suggest he can literally only play a quarter. If he's subbed on in the first we're creating headaches for ourselves

Why can’t he just continue to play as a medical sub? Clearly suited to the role and given he was on the scrap heap at end of last year, it is probably more of a role than expected.

I've thought that as well and advocated for it last week, only problem is that it depends on when the medical sub needs to be activated

Ideally the medical sub isn't needed - that's always the best case scenario

With Constable as the sub, if he needs to come on then it's almost hedging bets on it not being needed until the 2nd half and almost ideally the last quarter when other bodies are tiring and he has fresh legs

If Constable is subbed on in the first half, even if it's the second quarter as we saw against Hawthorn, then the figures are showing he's struggling to still run out matches just as if he had been in the starting line-up for the first quarter

At this stage he's probably better going back to VFL, and either trying to run out matches playing more than 55% of TOG (his game time last week against the Lions), or seeing if he can find a 2nd role within the game such as dropping forward rather than the bench and seeing if he can add a level of versatility to his game

He’s done. It’s a shame, but he’s not good enough. I’ve sat on the fence for the past year or two not sure where he’d end up, but I’m convinced now that this will be his last year. Cant carry a player with deficiencies like his unless they are exceptional in other areas, which he is not.
Being put on thé bench isnt a deficiency

I'm sure this will start another sh*t fight, but there is no arguing against Constable's fitness anymore (or lack thereof).

If Evans goes off at the 22 minute mark, there were 122 minutes in the match, and you only play 51 minutes out of a possible 100 minutes - what exactly are you offering?

His GT was obviously lower because he didn't start the match, but, this screencap from DTLive is damning:

View attachment 1095815

Every other player on the ground played 85+ minutes (the 1st gamer in Holmes played 89 minutes). If we take out Evans' 22 minutes before Constable comes on, he's still playing basically half a quarter less than any other player on the ground (which other players have to make up for).

What makes it even worse, is that we were down a rotation, due to Higgins getting injured too. This then means, that Constable is still playing far less time, while other players - like Holmes who started cramping up from playing extra time, and Smith who had just been throwing up the night before - carried more of the load due to Constable's inability to play extended minutes - he should have played at least 65+ mins given the interchange issue.

Even with these significant shortcomings, I could overlook it if it meant that he was extremely damaging in the minutes that he has. In the second quarter, absolutely he was. Comes on, has 9 disposals, kicks a goal and really sets us up for the second half. But then, the 3rd quarter he has 3 disposals in the space of 4 minutes...and then nothing. In the last, he has 2 disposals in the space of 3 minutes, and nothing else. This is borderline ridiculous given he's getting mid minutes, and he's not getting a clearance, laying a tackle or even putting any pressure on players like O'Meara who just kept exiting the stoppage at will when he lined up on them.

I've actually defended him in the past, but seeing these raw figures week after week, with no improvement, and leaving the bulk of the work to others so they can pick up the slack, is just not justifying his selection or him even being on the list - he's just not capable of performing at the level of an AFL footballer - despite how controversial that opinion seems to be to those who harangued me over this the other day (you know who you are).

You can't argue with raw figures. He may be fitter than you or I, but he's not fit enough to be an elite athlete - and it's time we gave others opportunities as he's actually just proving to be a detriment to the team now. You can rack up as many disposals as you want, but, if your opponent is just waltzing out of the stoppage and getting the same amount of possessions back on you - while being more damaging and spending far more time on the ground - then you're not even breaking even when it comes to your contribution to the team.

To put things in real perspective, Higgins had 7 more minutes TOG than Constable, when he played just over a half of football (got injured 8 minutes into the third) - that is absolutely damning.

He was in the same draft as Fogarty, he's now 22, and it's just not getting any better. It's time to give other kids a shot. It's no longer controversial - he didn't have a tank when he was drafted, and he still doesn't have one now. People need to accept this fact and stop making excuses. It's just disingenuous now.
Again him spending time on bench is not Proof he doesn’t have fitness. They did the same thing to horlin smith in his last two years at Geelong.

in fact the fact his percentage went down given he didn’t start to q2 suggests it’s not fitness. Otherwise if it was fitness he still would of played close to 55 percent.

all it’s proof of is they don’t want to rest him elsewhere on the ground In between his 7 min stints in the mids

Last edited:
Again him spending time on bench is not Proof he doesn’t have fitness. They did the same thing to horlin smith in his last two years at Geelong.

in fact the fact his percentage went down given he didn’t start to q2 suggests it’s not fitness. Otherwise if it was fitness he still would of played close to 55 percent.

all it’s proof of is they don’t want to rest him elsewhere on the ground In between his 7 min stints in the mids
And how did GHS' career go once he escaped the clutches of this apparently prejudiced match committee?

The stats certainly aren't promising for him, in terms of being anything other than a short-term sugar hit to the team when he first gets out on the ground. Picks up plenty of early possessions, only to fade out alarmingly the longer the game goes on.

Most disturbing for me, though, is how much of a liability he becomes when he's out on the ground later in games (clearly gassed) and offers absolutely nothing defensively as well. Against both the Lions and the Hawks, he became a massive liability in not only failing to win the footy but also being completely incapable of preventing the opposition from clearing the contest and spreading into space.

It's been like playing a man down around the ball when he was out there late in the last two games. And given he has no ability to rest anywhere else on the park, it's just not a feasible option to keep him in the line-up at this point.

To me, he needs to come out before this week's game against the Dees. And will be overtaken in the queue for spots in the side in coming weeks by Danger, Mena, Higgins, Simpson and even Stephens for mine.

Can't see him on our list in 2022. And won't be playing elsewhere in the AFL, either. So then the conspiracy theorists will have to start in on every MC across the comp, rather than the more straightforward suggestion that it's just the club he currently plays for that is trolling him for kicks.

I'm sure this will start another sh*t fight, but there is no arguing against Constable's fitness anymore (or lack thereof).

If Evans goes off at the 22 minute mark, there were 122 minutes in the match, and you only play 51 minutes out of a possible 100 minutes - what exactly are you offering?

That's not quite correct, he came on with about twelve minutes remaining in the second quarter, so he actually played fifty one minutes of a possible seventy five (approximately) not one hundred minutes.

He was a medical sub and came on in the second qtr and then disappeared

he can’t be carried

I wish someone would ask Scott strait out about Charlie,he was asked about Cams 43 yesterday and gave an answer most wouldn't have expected basically saying yes he was great inside and it was good he got the ball,but left the felling he didn't think he did much with it,lots of dinky chipping it around stuff.

I suspect you're projecting there...Scott didn't allude to the bolded at all, and gave him maximum recognition by awarding him top votes, Clarkson doing the same..

I thought he was far and away the best player on the ground.

Horlin-Smith could run but couldn't play anywhere except inside mid (and there were a few decent players ahead of him in the rotation)
Constable can't run out a game and also can't play anywhere except inside mid. He's better at it than GHS but those two flaws amount to being a liability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not quite correct, he came on with about twelve minutes remaining in the second quarter, so he actually played fifty one minutes of a possible seventy five (approximately) not one hundred minutes.

Nah you're reading it wrong. That's just when he got his first touch. Evans got injured before the end of the first quarter. He was then available as sub from that moment. He just spent the rest of the first quarter, and half of the second quarter on the bench, before coming on - hence why his overall TOG was 42%, but in the minutes that were available, it was around 52% or so

Where did that data visualisation come from? Looks awesome.

Also, is that a potato next to Jordan Clark's name? I'd shift that label to Dahlhaus

It's called 'Dtlive.com.au' - basically a tool for fantasy/supercoach/rdt players to utilize info for their players (also a bit of a discussion forum).

That's why Clark got the potato, because his score was awful. Dahl isn't even relevant in fantasy anymore, so that's why he doesn't even warrant a mention, haha

You could be forgiven for thinking that if you switched off at half-time.

Ironically, that's almost entirely what 'Chook' did.
Not sure I really should be surprised, but at half time there was a few of comments on social media talking about Constable's second quarter efforts with his 9 disposals & a goal - and he should rightly be praised for the work he did that quarter

As the match went on, the level of praise went as quiet as Constable did

I suspect you're projecting there...Scott didn't allude to the bolded at all, and gave him maximum recognition by awarding him top votes, Clarkson doing the same..

I thought he was far and away the best player on the ground.

I had him best on ground too,for the same reason as Scott his inside work,and also like Scott I didn't think they were the greatest 43 I've seen.

That's
It's called 'Dtlive.com.au' - basically a tool for fantasy/supercoach/rdt players to utilize info for their players (also a bit of a discussion forum).

That's why Clark got the potato, because his score was awful. Dahl isn't even relevant in fantasy anymore, so that's why he doesn't even warrant a mention, haha
That's cool I'll have to use it. Cheers

I just put that into favorites
Thanks

Not sure I really should be surprised, but at half time there was a few of comments on social media talking about Constable's second quarter efforts with his 9 disposals & a goal - and he should rightly be praised for the work he did that quarter

We the match went on, the level of praise went as quiet as Constable did

The second quarter possessions were very handy. And his goal was an absolute clutch moment. But if you can only deliver at that level for half a game (at best), you become a serious impediment to your team's chances.

A first-year player in his debut game ended up offering us as much if not more in the second half than a guy in his fourth season who hadn't even started the game. Sadly, I think that tells us a lot about Charlie's prospects of playing stacks of senior footy in 2021.

And, for the eleventieth time, the fact he wasn't on the ground for incredibly long periods isn't an excuse. It's actually a huge part of the problem. If he was trusted to make it to contests and positively affect the play, he clearly would have been out there for vast swathes of the second half, given we were a player down in rotations for almost the entire third and fourth quarters. He should have been the freshest player on the paddock and yet he was clearly in no shape to be a real influence on the game.

For mine, it's time to go back to the Bankers and conjure up nostalgic recollections of Peter Featherby in his pomp before he's even considered for the seniors again.

What i find baffling (apart from the hate and the calls to delist a 12 game player that averages 18 possessions. Your all insane!) is that he starts the 3rd qr on the bench.
So he was that buggered after a half an hour break?
And no putting him in the middle in the last? We were getting smashed.
A 15 minute break + the 3/4 time break wasn't enough?
It's not fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back