News Charlie and the Lions Factory - the Everlasting Charlie Cameron Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the Cameron situation as most seem to think. I agree that 95% of the time, if a player wants to leave, particularly using "personal reasons", it gets done. The usual posturing is expected; "Required player", "Contracted" etc. gets trotted out, but ultimately a deal gets done (Beams a good example). What is different here though, is that Adelaide just lost a grand final. They would expect very seriously to be contending the grand final again next year and they have also just lost Lever. Having lost Lever, losing Cameron puts a serious dent in their flag aspirations. They also have first hand experience of a club enforcing a contract and getting good service from that player, having missed out on Gibbs who went on to come 4th in Carlton's B & F. They have seen that clubs and players can be denied and get meaningful contribution from a want away player. Entirely possible they keep Cameron (who as far as I've read, is happy at Adelaide, despite preferring a move).
This isn't like a contracted Schache who doesn't show any delight being here, and who makes probably no difference to our 2018 season. Same can be said for when Beams came here. No difference to Collingwood's success the following year. For Adelaide, who would have been hoping to do what they couldn't this year, they are looking at replacing 2 of their best 22 with a couple of pimply draft picks if they cave.

So while the statements look like the usual posturing, this isn't the same as 95% of situations.

"Lions must offer 2x1st rounders for Charlie Cameron. A player who wants to play at your club...a club that has had continued go-home issues" - Mitch Cleary on Twitter. Absolute muppet.

"This club has had retention issues in the past...therefore they need to massively overpay in any and all trades, that will help them"

"Lions must offer 2x1st rounders for Charlie Cameron. A player who wants to play at your club...a club that has had continued go-home issues" - Mitch Cleary on Twitter. Absolute muppet.

"This club has had retention issues in the past...therefore they need to massively overpay in any and all trades, that will help them"

That guy is a *en idiot.

Curious how last year Tom Mitchell was worth 14 and Brad Hill 23, but this year Cameron is worth 12 or even 18 + 19!

Terrible list management from Carlton to only get a second round pick from us for Tom Bell in 2015. He was a contracted player who wanted to come to Brisbane, a club that has had so many homesickness issues. Therefore, we should have been forced to give up 2x1st round picks for him.

It'll get done-
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-09/cameron-wont-ever-resign-with-adelaide-says-manager

ADELAIDE speedster Charlie Cameron has made it clear he won't be re-signing with the Crows beyond 2018 if a trade can't be done with the Brisbane Lions during this year's NAB AFL Trade Period.

The Crows are intent on the 23-year-old fulfilling the final year of his contract after he requested to join the Lions to be closer to his family.

Cameron's manager Colin Young told radio station FIVEaa he still held out hope a deal could be struck.

"Andrew (McDougall) and I spoke to (Cameron) this morning and he was fairly disappointed, but we just explained it's the nature of the beast and we just move forward," Young said.

"We've got 10 days to try and get something done.

"Charlie has indicated that he won't be re-signing with Adelaide after next year.

"Charlie didn't have a great season," Young said.

"He played a couple good games during the year and played well in the finals.

"I suspect the thought process of going home and leaving Adelaide had an impact on him during the season, so I'd hate to suspect what would happen next year."

His manager sounds like a bit of a w***er. I'm finding it hard to get excited about this trade when we've been on the other side of this shyte so often now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll get done-
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-09/cameron-wont-ever-resign-with-adelaide-says-manager

ADELAIDE speedster Charlie Cameron has made it clear he won't be re-signing with the Crows beyond 2018 if a trade can't be done with the Brisbane Lions during this year's NAB AFL Trade Period.

The Crows are intent on the 23-year-old fulfilling the final year of his contract after he requested to join the Lions to be closer to his family.

Cameron's manager Colin Young told radio station FIVEaa he still held out hope a deal could be struck.

"Andrew (McDougall) and I spoke to (Cameron) this morning and he was fairly disappointed, but we just explained it's the nature of the beast and we just move forward," Young said.

"We've got 10 days to try and get something done.

"Charlie has indicated that he won't be re-signing with Adelaide after next year.
Yep, should get done now. Especially when his manager says "he hates to see what will happen next year" (regarding how his form was affected this year)... basically a warning

His manager sounds like a bit of a ******. I'm finding it hard to get excited about this trade when we've been on the other side of this shyte so often now.

I don't think it's just his manager. I saw an article on the AFL site yesterday about former Geelong player, Tom Gillies, on how his wish to get traded to the Hawks in 2011 got shutdown by the Cats because he was contracted. His then Manager said in the article that discussing trades for contracted players was frowned upon back then but these days they'd just force the issue and get it done. So I think it's an industry attitude more than anything.

Gees if cameron and schache last until the end of trade week, Cameron will be worth 3 first rounders and schache will be worth my mastiff's bagged up poop. I still can't work it out they both have the same issue. Homesickness. Yet cameron's value goes up and schaches goes down. It's phenomenon I am going to refer to as the " brisbane effect"

Well if the crows are gonna do hard posturing then Cameron and his manager have the option of either giving up or pushing back.

I don't really see how he can go back to the crows now, seeing as tex & co didn't want players not committed to the club playing in finals.

And it won't be 12 - if stringers not going to be 11 Cameron can't be 12

I don't think it's just his manager. I saw an article on the AFL site yesterday about former Geelong player, Tom Gillies, on how his wish to get traded to the Hawks in 2011 got shutdown by the Cats because he was contracted. His then Manager said in the article that discussing trades for contracted players was frowned upon back then but these days they'd just force the issue and get it done. So I think it's an industry attitude more than anything.
Perhaps Gillies shouldn't have signed such a length contract and he would have got to Hawthorn.

Players shouldn't have it both ways, so I have no sympathy for players who are wanting to move clubs when they're contracted. If players want it that easy, just sign revolving one year contracts until the AFL system has spat them out.

Perhaps Gillies shouldn't have signed such a length contract and he would have got to Hawthorn.
Things change though. In the AFL climate the number of years is almost becoming more important than the monetary figure. You'd be mad not to sign a longer deal if you had the chance to.

Things change though. In the AFL climate the number of years is almost becoming more important than the monetary figure. You'd be mad not to sign a longer deal if you had the chance to.
Then players shouldn't complain when they try moving mid contract and their club refuses to allow them to leave, which is why I agree that Adelaide shouldn't allow Cameron to leave under any circumstances.

Then players shouldn't complain when they try moving mid contract and their club refuses to allow them to leave, which is why I agree that Adelaide shouldn't allow Cameron to leave under any circumstances.
Yeah leave him to fester for a year, that is productive in a high performance environment

Did you have the same position during the Dayne Beams trade?

FWIW I'd expect a deal to get done. I just think there are a few more pressing issues to deal with first. Sounds like Cameron's manager is making a bit of a twit of himself, which ultimately doesn't always help

Remove this Banner Ad

Back