News Charlie and the Lions Factory - the Everlasting Charlie Cameron Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a feeling he will be a bit of a whipping boy for a few fans here who will hyperfocus on some missed goals etc whole ignoring the major thing he brings to the team... frenetic forward pressure.

I have a feeling he will be a bit of a whipping boy for a few fans here who will hyperfocus on some missed goals etc whole ignoring the major thing he brings to the team... frenetic forward pressure.

Same as with the Crows fans this year but without being in a successful team and having cost us a top 20 pick.

It won't be good.

Same as with the Crows fans this year but without being in a successful team and having cost us a top 20 pick.

It won't be good.

Getting in early? ;)

I really hope not.
I still remember those 4 goals he kicked against us in the 3rd qtr and the vision of Gardiner and co trying to catch him.

Just the thought of Zorko, Bundy, Taylor and Cameron linking up at half back and running through the middle of the ground is giving me great hope for 2018 and beyond.

Getting in early? ;)

Got pretty low expectations and I do not think it's a smart trade but at least he's an upgrade on Barrett who would be feeling pretty nervous about getting a game next year.

As long as we all get that he will be learning a new gameplan/role plus trying to develop his own deficiencies. He won't be best 22 round 1.

Last edited:
I reckon Charlie has only scratched the surface of how good a player he can be. What we get for Rocky, we pay for Cameron (bar pick 2 which won't happen). And in the long run I reckon it will turn out fair value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel uncomfortable about giving away a top 20 pick for him...
Yeah I must admit I do feel a little trepidation about giving up to much.

I saw a bit of Adelaide this year and other than the prelim (which admittedly he was bloody awesome) he was quite average in the other games I saw him play.

Having said that if you asked me this time last year whether I'd give up a top 20 pick for him I'd be all in, so maybe there is something to the idea his mind was elsewhere this year and subsequently effecting his form.

It's not necessarily a given that he will be less effective in a lesser team. He may click with our game plan, he may have his role tweaked, he might get more opportunities on the lead or at ground level with our forward line as compared to Walker, Lynch and Jenkins being focal points.

Rucci just put out an article claiming that the crows won't trade him for any price.

Lol, Lethal said the same about Aish. Meaningless.

Cameron + pick 27 (which currently belongs to Melbourne) for our first next year (which could easily be pick 1 again) is what someone wants on the Crows board. Lol.

On the other hand this would almost certainly spawn a 'death riding Lions' thread on the Crows Board which would provide almost certain impetus to a rise in our ladder position and next year ... although I am not sure if the Crows Board has the same kind of warped 'spiritual' connections to the footy gods that our does!

Adelaide Crows to stand firm on Charlie Cameron’s contract as the speedster seeks move to Brisbane
Michelangelo Rucci, Chief Football Writer, The Advertiser
an hour ago
Subscriber only
ADELAIDE will hold speedster Charlie Cameron to his contract - and deny itself a rich draft pick from Brisbane - as questions deepen on why the Crows cannot hold valued players.

Cameron, 23, confirmed his wish to leave Adelaide - two days after uncontracted defender Jake Lever did the same - in his end-of-season review at West Lakes yesterday.

While Lever, 21, can walk to pick up his $3.6 million, four-year deal with Melbourne, Cameron is locked to Adelaide with one year to serve on his contract.

But while Cameron has “personal reasons” for wanting to leave the Crows - along with a desire to be around his family base in Queensland - Adelaide runs the risk of losing the midfielder-forward with no return at the end of next season.

Neither the Crows nor the Lions commented on Cameron last night, leaving the negotiations to begin at Etihad Stadium on Monday when the AFL trade period formally opens at 8.30am.

Adelaide appears determined to hold Cameron at West Lakes - regardless of the early draft pick it can prise from the eager Lions - to save the club’s image amid increasing debate on why players are repeatedly moving from the Crows.

Adelaide football chief Brett Burton argues the differing reasons for Lever and Cameron seeking trades highlights there is not a “cultural problem” at West Lakes.

“I am very comfortable we have a good program, a good culture, a good environment,” Burton said.

“I am very comfortable with where we are at.

“And each decision (from players who have left recently, Patrick Dangerfield, Jack Gunston, Kurt Tippett, Phil Davis and Nathan Bock) were individual decisions. They are like comparing apples and oranges ...

“Each was motivated at different points in time, by different things (from taking up unbeatable offers from expansion franchises, go-home factors and free agency).

“You can’t lump them all in together.”

Cameron joined Adelaide in the 2014 AFL rookie draft. He has played 73 AFL games in four seasons with the Crows. As a contracted player, he could command from Brisbane a late first-round pick or a second-round call in next month’s AFL national pick.

And that pick could become invaluable for Adelaide to chase contracted Carlton midfielder Byrce Gibbs after last year’s failed move on the South Australian.

AFL free agency opens today with Port Adelaide to gain Brisbane midfielder Tom Rockliff and lose utility Jackson Trengove to the Western Bulldogs. The Power is caught in another free-agency play with Geelong midfielder-forward Steven Motlop, who was to have met with Port Adelaide officials yesterday.

The 18 AFL clubs gather in Melbourne on Monday morning. The trade period closes at 1.30pm on Thursday, October 19.

michelangelo.rucci@news.com.au

His pure speed will be magic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back