News Charlie and the Lions Factory - the Everlasting Charlie Cameron Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys, apologies for the intrusion.

On performance to date and consistency I think you’ve overpaid but I’ve gotta say that if you find a way to get it all to click and for Charlie to bring it to the table week in week out you’ve got a monster on your hands.

Electric pace, ferocious tackler who can bring down blokes three times his size and the ability to do things almost no other player in the Comp can - he’s enigmatic.

You’ve got two options - work on his goal kicking until he’s comfortable with his routine (at the moment he’s very hit and miss) and you could potentially have an elite small forward who puts on ferocious forward line pressure.

The other option is to try and graft him into a pack skirting midfielder/winger who can do damage on the run. Has all the attributes but sometimes the game swallows him up and he tends to get a bit lost.

I think your biggest issue with him will be between the ears, I have concerns the move could well kill his career as he’s been heavily mentored by Eddie Betts and has still appeared quite fragile at times, but I hope for Brisbane and Charlie’s sakes he brings it all together as he could be anything.

High risk. High reward.

All the best for 2018
Just hope Walters from Free also has family in Brisbane omgggg

I think it sucks that the arguably best team in 2017 who CHOKED MASSIVELY tried to rip what is essentially the 2018 equalization pick off from the absolutely worst team in the comp.

Bunch of arseholes trying to bully the weakest.

We need a dearth riding Adelaide thread that works. Go port - smash those cross town creeps.
Excellent point. They have been very poor since their GF loss and did themselves no favours through out the trade period. They now join Ferralwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond and Liverpool, on my most hated list.

I am devastated to lose him and can't find any logic in the move (not a knock on Brisbane but he seemingly loved and was very loved in Adelaide) but if he keeps tracking like he did at Afc you have an absolute ripper. The inconsistentcy everyone goes on about is purely offensively, he works his ass off pressuring and two way running week in week out (watch the way he gets back to help defensively when he is just playing forward). The position he played at the afc was never going to result in huge possession numbers anyway.

I will be interested to watch how you use him, he can literally play forward, mid or back. And actually uses the ball reasonably well when he has options ahead of him and he isn't at full speed.

Importantly, you've got yourselves a human highlight reel, he is a s**t load of fun to watch. I said after seeing him play a few games that he will kick goal of the century one day, Kills me to think it won't be in crows colours.

Enjoy the show.

More and more I can see why we paid pick 12 for CC.. In a draft where 12 and 18 are interchangeable, his playing attributes, and developing our indigenous culture will be of immense value to the club, IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been wondering and l know this is out of the box but l wonder how CC would go at playing in the backline. Play against the eddie Betts, the Wingard's etc. we don't really have a quick lockdown defender, he is lightning quick so he would keep up with them and provide a heap of run out of defense.

Been wondering and l know this is out of the box but l wonder how CC would go at playing in the backline. Play against the eddie Betts, the Wingard's etc. we don't really have a quick lockdown defender, he is lightning quick so he would keep up with them and provide a heap of run out of defense.

I think in general he offers attributes that literally no other player on our list offers. At least until Cedric comes on.

It gives Fagan a genuine matchday chess piece to move around in a team that otherwise has many samey type players in it.

Being able to inject Charlie's pace and X-Factor across various parts of the ground is going to be really useful when games are going against us.

Giving him 5 minute bursts in the centre, the wing or down back could alter the course of matches.

Re CC Rider: I am one of those who haven't followed his exploits closely, I must admit, but I happen to think that he is a genuine cutting edge sort of player- a rarity in these days of total commitment to the "game plan". I reckon we're dead set lucky to get him.

Especially toward the end season 2016, while loosely monitoring the odd Sunday afternoon Crows game, I thought bloody hell, this bloke is keeping Adelaide in the game on his own.

Five goals in a final, on of his side's best in a well-beaten GF.

Pick 12? What's the problem? Well worth the punt, IMHO.

Hawthorn built a premiership dynasty (as did the Lions) with some very astute trading. I would like to think that this is the Fagan & Noble model and CC is the first piece in that plan with Hodge more about helping us re-set the on-field culture of learning about what it takes to be a winning team. If I am right, we will see a few more targeted trades over the next 2-3 years...

[QUOTE="Tassie4ever"
Five goals in a final, one of his side's best in a well-beaten GF.[/QUOTE]

Should've been six.
Jenkins torched Cameron when he didn't Joe the goose to Cameron late in the game.
Cameron's performances in the 2017 finals probably makes him a pick 12er.
The Crows had him in a mainly defensive role throughout the year.......also to make space for Jenkins, Walker and Betts.
His role didn't quite expose his real potential as a weapon until finals 2017.
Hell...he even played well in the GF on one leg.
Well worth the risk IMO.

Last edited:
Still think it’s 50:50 whether or not we were better off doing this trade.

While I think this Cameron was a good addition I don’t think this was a smart trade.

Still think it’s 50:50 whether or not we were better off doing this trade.

While I think this Cameron was a good addition I don’t think this was a smart trade.
He's still in his early-mid 20's. I fail to see how it wasn't a good deal for us. Its surely better than getting a draftee who likely won't be as good or won't even stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back