Rumour Charlie Cameron to request a trade home to Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

And Eddie Betts would playing for the Big V. What's your point?

I think it's fair to say a kid who spent the first 17 years of his life in Queensland should consider himself a Queenslander.

Sure as an Australian citizen he is a Queenslander, but in AFL terms the guy never played a game of AFL there until he travelled with Adelaide

unlike the others mentioned...ie Beams, Zorko, Bell etc. The comment was developing Queensland talent as if he were a part of that group. He didn't know

AFL until he moved to W.A...that's my point

Sure as an Australian citizen he is a Queenslander, but in AFL terms the guy never played a game of AFL there until he travelled with Adelaide

unlike the others mentioned...ie Beams, Zorko, Bell etc. The comment was developing Queensland talent as if he were a part of that group. He didn't know

That's a dumb point mate his home is QLD which is all that matters

I'm not really sure what you're trying to get across here? That he's a Queenslander that was a product of the WA football system? Does it even matter that he played some junior football in WA between 2012-13? The kid clearly feels Queensland is home to him and he wants to go to the state he considers home.

I'm 99% sure he will say the words "I'm a Queenslander" and/or "I wanted to come home" in his upcoming press conference once he gets traded to the Lions.

He was drafted from W.A, played for W.A, learned everything about the game in W.A, went to school in W.A, left W.A and wants to 'go home' to Brisbane. P.S..what would you call Michael Voss then?

Well, I would assume like everyone, "home" would be where you grew up and spent your formative years.

Cameron has spent longer living in Adelaide than he ever did in WA, and was born in QLD and lived there until he was 17 years old. He has every right to claim QLD as his home, regardless of where he first played footy.

Michael Voss spent his childhood in Victoria, and his teens and adult years in QLD. I'd guess he terms himself as much a Queenslander as a Victorian.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I would assume like everyone, "home" would be where you grew up and spent your formative years.

Cameron has spent longer living in Adelaide than he ever did in WA, and was born in QLD and lived there until he was 17 years old. He has every right to claim QLD as his home, regardless of where he first played footy.

Michael Voss spent his childhood in Victoria, and his teens and adult years in QLD. I'd guess he terms himself as much a Queenslander as a Victorian.

Voss is actually banned from returning to QLD.

I'm keen to see him traded if the price is right. One thing I've learned as a Crows supporter is that it's dumb to try and hang on to home sick players. Especially indigenous players because their culture values proximity to family more than most.

Fingers crossed we trade him while he has currency.

Why is Lever the devil for wanting to leave, but Cameron is ok because he's indigenous? Surely any two people can feel the same pull to go back home? It's not any more cultural for an indigenous person to want to go back home than it is for a whit person to want to go back home. Oh, and both players stand to get a much better deal elsewhere. The only substantial difference is that Cameron is still contracted. So why all the hate for Lever, and why all the understanding for Cameron? It's hypocrisy.

Why is Lever the devil for wanting to leave, but Cameron is ok because he's indigenous? Surely any two people can feel the same pull to go back home? It's not any more cultural for an indigenous person to want to go back home than it is for a whit person to want to go back home. Oh, and both players stand to get a much better deal elsewhere. The only substantial difference is that Cameron is still contracted. So why all the hate for Lever, and why all the understanding for Cameron? It's hypocrisy.

Dude nobody is buying that Lever is homesick.

Dude nobody is buying that Lever is homesick.
Why did he want to go back to Melbourne then? Why are you buying that Cameron is homesick. Do you have some unique insight into these guys that other foot have? If Cameron gets back home on better coin, is that any different to lever getting back home on better coin? If so, why?

Why did he want to go back to Melbourne then? Why are you buying that Cameron is homesick. Do you have some unique insight into these guys that other foot have? If Cameron gets back home on better coin, is that any different to lever getting back home on better coin? If so, why?

Lever literally told the club he would stay if they agreed to make him their highest paid player. He is only now playing the homesickness card because he doesn't want to look bad.

With Cameron on the other hand, it's never been about money. There have been rumours about him going home all year. If you saw his body language during the second half of the year, it was blatantly obvious his heart wasn't in it anymore (prelim final excluded). I've watched this guy play since he was a rookie and he's always been a player that wears his emotions on his sleeve. There was a definite change in him this year and if you wen't over to our board you'd see plenty of Crows fan noticed he wasn't enjoying his footy.

Lever literally told the club he would stay if they agreed to make him their highest paid player. He is only now playing the homesickness card because he doesn't want to look bad.
How do you know this is actually true though? Rumours are not facts. Do you see your club as so sneaky clean that they couldn't present a narrative in their own favour? I can believe that he had an asking price, and that Adelaide didn't want to pay it, but I'm not buying it that he went in there and said, "You have to make me the highest paid player on our list". It's an absurd notion given who else is in the team with higher credentials.

How do you know this is actually true though? Rumours are not facts. Do you see your club as so sneaky clean that they couldn't present a narrative in their own favour? I can believe that he had an asking price, and that Adelaide didn't want to pay it, but I'm not buying it that he went in there and said, "You have to make me the highest paid player on our list". It's an absurd notion given who else is in the team with higher credentials.

You don't think it's more likely he said "I'll stay if you match the offer from Melbourne" (said to be 800k/year, which would make him the highest paid player at the Crows) instead of the totally unrealistic "I'll stay if you make me the highest paid player on the list"? Same end result but one actually makes sense.

You don't think it's more likely he said "I'll stay if you match the offer from Melbourne" (said to be 800k/year, which would make him the highest paid player at the Crows) instead of the totally unrealistic "I'll stay if you make me the highest paid player on the list"? Same end result but one actually makes sense.
True, I think that's perfectly feasible. But it's very deceitful to represent somebody asking for a certain price as them coming out and saying, "pay me the most". From what I've read, Adelaide is one of the clubs that currently has plenty of salary cap space because their existing contracts weren't written in such a way as to automatically be bumped up when the new CBA came into effect. With that in mind, it's not unsurprising that Lever's next contract would be the highest at the time it was signed, but I would equally expect Sloane and Walker to go right past him once their next contract came around. Adelaide has behaved horribly throughout this process with Lever. Even worse than my club has behaved with Jack Watts - and I'm not proud of that either.

True, I think that's perfectly feasible. But it's very deceitful to represent somebody asking for a certain price as them coming out and saying, "pay me the most". From what I've read, Adelaide is one of the clubs that currently has plenty of salary cap space because their existing contracts weren't written in such a way as to automatically be bumped up when the new CBA came into effect. With that in mind, it's not unsurprising that Lever's next contract would be the highest at the time it was signed, but I would equally expect Sloane and Walker to go right past him once their next contract came around. Adelaide has behaved horribly throughout this process with Lever. Even worse than my club has behaved with Jack Watts - and I'm not proud of that either.

I think it's Port that's in that position re: the CBA, not Adelaide. Could be wrong though.
From an outside perspective I don't think it's that deceitful. If Lever asked for 800k and was informed that would make him the highest paid player and his response was that he still wanted 800k or he would leave, then yes, he was asking to be made the highest paid player if he was to stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back