Rumour Charlie Cameron to request a trade home to Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

In case you hadnt realised this is a thread about A CROWS player, nothing to do with Geelong at all, but yet here you are, telling me I'm 'trawling through threads picking fights'

I don't think it's ever your intention, but that is exactly what most of your posts look like

I know I pick on you a bit, but the Lever thread is just as bad

Can you at least check what you're writing?

Cameron has missed multiple games- wrong he's missed 1.

Menzel has played 2 less games than him. Yet still kicked 13 more goals.

18 months separating the 3 of them age wise too.

I'll deal with stats and facts and you keep dealing in your 'opinions'

Included bye, apologies.
Either way, you ask 18 clubs who they'd prefer....you'll get the same answer every time.

What you fail to mention is that Menzel plays closer to goal.
Cameron is almost never one of our deepest 2 forwards. Menzel is almost always one of your deepest 2 forwards.

There's more to footy than goals.
Otherwise Josh Jenkins would be a lot better player than he is.
Next you'll say that Ben Brown is better than Tom Lynch (GC) because he's got more goals.

You can deal with stats and facts. Here's one. 18 clubs would take either player over Menzel. That's a fact.

Last edited:
I don't think it's ever your intention, but that is exactly what most of your posts look like

I know I pick on you a bit, but the Lever thread is just as bad

Mainly because I read all the comments and then respond.
I don't have time to follow a thread reply by reply like some other people.

Its not really my fault that certain cats fans cant make a valid argument and instead go and bring 10 of their buddies in to say "haha we got Dangerfield" in 10 different ways. I generally play the ball, attack the comment not the man. I thought thats what BF was supposed to be?

But seriously, forget Cameron for a moment, this guy thinks that D Menzel is better than Devon Smith.

Included bye, apologies.
Either way, you ask 18 clubs who they'd prefer....you'll get the same answer every time.

What you fail to mention is that Menzel plays closer to goal.
Cameron is almost never one of our deepest 2 forwards. Menzel is almost always one of your deepest 2 forwards.

There's more to footy than goals.
Otherwise Josh Jenkins would be a lot better player than he is.
Next you'll say that Ben Brown is better than Tom Lynch (GC) because he's got more goals.

You can deal with stats and facts. Here's one. 18 clubs would take either player over Menzel. That's a fact.

No again, that's your opinion. You realize you can't just say 'it's a fact' and that makes it a fact right? Unless you go around and ask each of the clubs, it's your opinion.

I realize that theres more to do footy than goals, but what is it that Cameron does that makes him far better than Menzel? Same amount of score involvements and assists, both roughly same amount of touches(Cameron a couple more per game at a lower de %). Fair enough he averages 3 more tackles a game, but menzel kicks more goals.

Explain what makes him far more valuable ?

No again, that's your opinion. You realize you can't just say 'it's a fact' and that makes it a fact right? Unless you go around and ask each of the clubs, it's your opinion.

I realize that theres more to do footy than goals, but what is it that Cameron does that makes him far better than Menzel? Same amount of score involvements and assists, both roughly same amount of touches(Cameron a couple more per game at a lower de %). Fair enough he averages 3 more tackles a game, but menzel kicks more goals.

Explain what makes him far more valuable ?

Well for a start Cameron is on the up, big time. His improvement is far beyond what Menzel is offering, and his scope for further improvement is larger too IMO. He's playing a lot more midfield minutes, and 3 tackles a game is a massive deal for a small mid-HFF. He's more versatile, being able to play pure forward, pure midfield, wing or a mix of forward/mid. Menzel has really only been used as a deep forward and while he's having a very good season, I cant see him improving that much from here. Menzel's goal kicking, goal sense and overhead marking are the only areas I see him in front.

Stats never tell the full story either. In case you havent noticed its pretty hard to get the goals when you've got Walker, Jenkins, Betts and Lynch up there.

Well for a start Cameron is on the up, big time. His improvement is far beyond what Menzel is offering, and his scope for further improvement is larger too IMO. He's playing a lot more midfield minutes, and 3 tackles a game is a massive deal for a small mid-HFF. He's more versatile, being able to play pure forward, pure midfield, wing or a mix of forward/mid. Menzel has really only been used as a deep forward and while he's having a very good season, I cant see him improving that much from here. Menzel's goal kicking, goal sense and overhead marking are the only areas I see him in front.

Stats never tell the full story either. In case you havent noticed its pretty hard to get the goals when you've got Walker, Jenkins, Betts and Lynch up there.

Goal kicking, goal sense and overhead marking are pretty important for a forward because let's face it, no one is taking Cameron as a midfielder averaging just 15 touches. They are both forwards.

Devon smith has more scope to go into the midfield, although their depth is probably the reason he is being played as a half forward. And if he comes to Geelong ( again, I don't make these rumors up) he'll probably be played in that role again, because that's more of a need for us.

Goal kicking, goal sense and overhead marking are pretty important for a forward because let's face it, no one is taking Cameron as a midfielder averaging just 15 touches. They are both forwards.

Devon smith has more scope to go into the midfield, although their depth is probably the reason he is being played as a half forward. And if he comes to Geelong ( again, I don't make these rumors up) he'll probably be played in that role again, because that's more of a need for us.

They are, but Menzel is more of a mid sized forward than a true crumbing forward.
There are some other very important aspects of that medium/small forward role like speed, forward pressure, tackling. Cameron makes him look 2nd rate in those areas just like the reverse for the aforementioned skill-set.

Cameron isnt playing as a pure mid and never has, hes playing as a HFF moving into the midfield.
Geelong equivalent maybe Motlop?
I dont have the ability to get it, but have a look at a heat map of the two players. I'm guessing that cameron is a lot more up the field than Menzel.

They are, but Menzel is more of a mid sized forward than a true crumbing forward.
There are some other very important aspects of that medium/small forward role like speed, forward pressure, tackling. Cameron makes him look 2nd rate in those areas just like the reverse for the aforementioned skill-set.

Cameron isnt playing as a pure mid and never has, hes playing as a HFF moving into the midfield.
Geelong equivalent maybe Motlop?
I dont have the ability to get it, but have a look at a heat map of the two players. I'm guessing that cameron is a lot more up the field than Menzel.

I don't think comparing Cameron to anything Motlop is doing at the moment is doing you any favors with this discussion.

Also I'd check what Cameron is doing while he's so far up the ground, as he is getting the same amount of touches as Menzel is from the goal square(apparently).

I don't think comparing Cameron to anything Motlop is doing at the moment is doing you any favors with this discussion.

Also I'd check what Cameron is doing while he's so far up the ground, as he is getting the same amount of touches as Menzel is from the goal square(apparently).

Role. Not performance. God he's been woeful Motlop. Really sad because he threatened to be a force. His value has plummeted in 24 months.

Cameron is not a high disposal player. Do you have the same problem with Rioli's game? Guess you think Menzel's better than him because he averages more touches? Cameron is a line-breaker, and barely anyone in the league can catch him. He's never going to get 25 touches a game.

Role. Not performance. God he's been woeful Motlop. Really sad because he threatened to be a force. His value has plummeted in 24 months.

Cameron is not a high disposal player. Do you have the same problem with Rioli's game? Guess you think Menzel's better than him because he averages more touches? Cameron is a line-breaker, and barely anyone in the league can catch him. He's never going to get 25 touches a game.

No, because Rioli is a superstar and Charlie Cameron isn't

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now all australian = superstar?
He had many knockers at the same age, most of which did the same as you and said "he only gets 14 touches a game"

I used that argument to find what you think is the massive gulf between the two, because for Cameron to be rated so much higher he'd need to be doing something a lot better than Menzel, considering he as kicked a lot more goals than Cameron despite playing two less games. All you've given me so far is 3 tackles a game and running fast.

Same disposals, same goal assists, same score involvements, almost identical fantasy output(not the be all and end all).

Anyone deciding to take Menzel on a longer contract than he has been offered would be taking a risk, we shall see how it pans out. Adios

Charlie Cameron must be really really homesick if he wants to leave a team smack bang in the middle of a premiership window and playing in front of 45-50 thousand screaming fans at the Adelaide Oval for 12 weeks of the year.

Charlie Cameron must be really really homesick if he wants to leave a team smack bang in the middle of a premiership window and playing in front of 45-50 thousand screaming fans at the Adelaide Oval for 12 weeks of the year.
I don't think it would be a stretch to suggest money may have a part to play in his supposed desire to go home.

I don't think it would be a stretch to suggest money may have a part to play in his supposed desire to go home.
With David Noble now heavily involved in decisions re salary cap spend and who gets what dollars we will no longer be paying overs for any player, Charlie will not be getting a godfather offer to come up to the Lions IMO.

With David Noble now heavily involved in decisions re salary cap spend and who gets what dollars we will no longer be paying overs for any player, Charlie will not be getting a godfather offer to come up to the Lions IMO.
But it will be substantially more than what the crows can afford to pay him

But it will be substantially more than what the crows can afford to pay him
I have no idea what Charlie is on at the Crows CD but I would be highly surprised and disappointed if we offered him "substantially" more eg. if he is on say $400,000 per season and/or that is the Crows offer I wouldn't be against offering him 450K but nowhere near 550K. We could also offer up a longer contract than the Crows would be offering as an enticement.

I have no idea what Charlie is on at the Crows CD but I would be highly surprised and disappointed if we offered him "substantially" more eg. if he is on say $400,000 per season and/or that is the Crows offer I wouldn't be against offering him 450K but nowhere near 550K. We could also offer up a longer contract than the Crows would be offering as an enticement.
If there's any truth to the Rockliff wanting to join the Crows rumour then Charlie Cameron could easily be involved in said trade. I know Rockliff is a free agent but he's restricted and may not want to completely screw over the team he previously captained. Similar to what Dangerfield did when he forced a trade, despite being a free agent at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back