Charlie Cameron - what to expect in 2017?

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Personally I think Cyril Rioli is the player that we want CC to emulate. This is the comparison that we should be making. Its that lightning speed, that ability to score goals and that tackling ability.

Here are Cyrils stats:

cyril.png

His standout trait is his tackling. That forward pressure that he puts on catches the opposition out of position and invariably a Cyril tackle leads to a Hawks goal. This is what I hope Charlie can emulate. And its not just the tackles that can lead to turnovers but perceived pressure as well.

Important point to note is that Cyril has a career average of 15.3 and only 9.3 kicks a game. But he takes a lot of marks for a small forward and kicks his goals. This is where I am looking for CC to improve. I personally don't really care if his possessions don't go past 17 (his lucky number apparently). But I want to see him bag 40 goals a year and lift his tackling to around 5 a game. He can also take a leaf out of Cyril (and Poppy's) book and make himself a small forward marking threat. We know he has it in him. Let him get close to 4 marks a game in and around that forward 50. I really see CC having the same impact that Cyril has had for us and that excites the hell out of me.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Personally I think Cyril Rioli is the player that we want CC to emulate. This is the comparison that we should be making. Its that lightning speed, that ability to score goals and that tackling ability.

Here are Cyrils stats:

View attachment 329244

His standout trait is his tackling. That forward pressure that he puts on catches the opposition out of position and invariably a Cyril tackle leads to a Hawks goal. This is what I hope Charlie can emulate. And its not just the tackles that can lead to turnovers but perceived pressure as well.

Important point to note is that Cyril has a career average of 15.3 and only 9.3 kicks a game. But he takes a lot of marks for a small forward and kicks his goals. This is where I am looking for CC to improve. I personally don't really care if his possessions don't go past 17 (his lucky number apparently). But I want to see him bag 40 goals a year and lift his tackling to around 5 a game. He can also take a leaf out of Cyril (and Poppy's) book and make himself a small forward marking threat. We know he has it in him. Let him get close to 4 marks a game in and around that forward 50. I really see CC having the same impact that Cyril has had for us and that excites the hell out of me.

Cyril wishes he could play like McLeod did!

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Cyril wishes he could play like McLeod did!

I wasn't comparing Cyril to McLeod. But Cyril has won 4 premierships and has a norm smith to his name. I am sure McLeod would trade one of his norm smiths for another two flags. I wouldn't trade McLeod for anyone, but I am sure the Hawks wouldn't trade Cyril either.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wasn't comparing Cyril to McLeod. But Cyril has won 4 premierships and has a norm smith to his name. I am sure McLeod would trade one of his norm smiths for another two flags. I wouldn't trade McLeod for anyone, but I am sure the Hawks wouldn't trade Cyril either.

Pretty sure non crows no hawks would choose Macca over Cyril as a majority

No you weren't, but you would like CC to play like Cyril I would rather him follow Macca into the Mid

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Here are Cyrils stats:

View attachment 329244

I don't want 40 goals a year but a guy that can push up onto the wing so we can finally worry guys like gaff , Hannebery and Sidebottom

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
I don't want 40 goals a year but a guy that can push up onto the wing so we can finally worry guys like gaff , Hannebery and Sidebottom
I feel like Rat can become our Gaff as that outside mass accumulator

CC will 99.9% likely never be as good, but he could end up being a similar style of player to Peter Matera, I reckon

I feel like Rat can become our Gaff as that outside mass accumulator

CC will 99.9% likely never be as good, but he could end up being a similar style of player to Peter Matera, I reckon

Matera was a gun.

I doubt CC will ever be in the same class...but he can become very handy.

Matera had an ability to run and carry that broke so many lines, he could take the game on like very few others
Matera was McLeod level gun.

He changed the course of many games, including finals.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
To be fair to McKay his positioning is pretty good. He has a footy brain.

Just does not have the size or skills to be better than a below average player at the biggest level. He is our whipping boy because he gets into the play a lot and then burns it or is out muscled.

Personally think he will end up a coach of some sort in his future.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Amazingly this is one your lesser efforts

He has the skills and has built enough body strength to spend more time inside. Even if he hadn't the body, after 10 years that would be a criticism on him

His positioning is why his possession count is so low.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Matera had an ability to run and carry that broke so many lines, he could take the game on like very few others
That's the trait I can see in Cameron. Electrifying, line breaking pace which rips teams apart.

Again, I say that Cameron will very likely never reach Matera's heights, and I'd put a lot of money on saying he won't, but I can see traits of Matera's game in Cameron's that will make CC an exciting and damaging player in his own right.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's the trait I can see in Cameron. Electrifying, line breaking pace which rips teams apart.

Again, I say that Cameron will very likely never reach Matera's heights, and I'd put a lot of money on saying he won't, but I can see traits of Matera's game in Cameron's that will make CC an exciting and damaging player in his own right.

He has got a lot of materas physical attributes, but Matera had a footy brain, he knew where to position himself, where to run to and when to take off and run. Not sure if you can learn that it's more instinct, which makes the elite players elite.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
He has got a lot of materas physical attributes, but Matera had a footy brain, he knew where to position himself, where to run to and when to take off and run. Not sure if you can learn that it's more instinct, which makes the elite players elite.
Oh yeah without doubt, Matera's footy brain was absolutely elite. Cameron's definitely isn't at the moment. With a bit of work with the likes of Atkins, however, he could certainly improve, but likely not to Matera levels.

mrmatt

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
I think the most exciting thing about CC is his sporting background was not aussie rules. Started playing at 15 and had less than 50 total games when we rookied him. He also comes across as somewhat introverted. When you consider that background, and the tough position he's been expected to play, what he has managed is his short time at the club is even more impressive. I've got the feeling Charlie is starting to believe. Not that he can be an AFL player, but that he can be a really, really good AFL player. That's a result of his development, having the right people around him and the club, I guess, not putting too much pressure on him on game-to-game stats as he's developing, but working to a bigger picture.
I hope the Sydney final is looked back on as a significant moment, where he took his belief to another level. He really could be anything, CC. Hopefully an injury-free season and continued development of confidence and being more influential, more often, in games will take CC to the next level.

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Matera was McLeod level gun.

He changed the course of many games, including finals.

Both brilliant probably my two favourite players ever, CC will never get to there level because he just doesn't have the natural polish but if he could get close that would great.

jirkago

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was thinking alot about CC and what can, should he produce. If he can get 30 to 40% midfield time and the rest forward, it will be great. We need his speed in the mid and up forward. Realistically he is the only forward with that pace as even Eddie is only quick of the mark but a bit slow after 15 meters.
If CC can get 20 odd touches a game and average 1.5 goals a game it would be a big success and great development for him and us

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Charles actually reminds me of Lewis Jetta.

He really needs to learn how to bounce properly when he runs though. It still doesn't look natural for him.

The greats that have been mentioned in this thread like Matera and McLeod could run at top speed and bounce without breaking stride.

Charles at this stage, has one burst in him. His speed slows dramatically if he needs to bounce.

I think his goal kicking will improve as his technique looks sound, just like it did for Jetta.

Back