Delisted Charlie Constable [drafted by Gold Coast at pick 63]

Remove this Banner Ad

master bate

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
West Coast basically do it with Nic Nat but in my (probably unpopular) opinion they're worse off for it.

I wonder what Dane Swan's TOG was in his prime, Collingwood used to rotate him very aggressively but you couldn't do it with the interchange caps today. And of course those players are way more influential than Constable. It might be a better option for a good team than playing their current second reserve midfielder or whatever though, but with limited list spots teams will probably prefer to get a kid in the door.
Good points. I'm probably just on the negative side of Nic Nat's low usage so I can't say that and then be all too keen on Constable. Slow, inflexible big bodied mids who don't pressure haven't had a good few years so I'm not on that side either. I remember when Constable dropped in the draft and people were surprised, I wasn't. But for the same reasons the Cats ended up taking him - in that he does have a natural ball winning ability - is probably the reason I'd take a punt if I had the list spots. Certainly before the list cut downs I would've been keen. And if a team happens to have extra spots with long term injuries or things like that and the ability to add extra rookies then I'd look at him.

calder_daddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Just finished responding to the Jordan Clark deal suggestions being thrown out there.

Here's another gem.

HE IS WORTH NOTHING - everyone, all of YOU listening out there. I'll say it quietly now: THE CATS NEVER PLAYED HIM, FORGET ALL THE CHRIS SCOTT RUBBISH ABOUT EARNING THEIR STRIPES IN THE VFL - MIERS AND PARFITT DIDN'T AND THEY ARENT MUCH CHOP EITHER.

Constable is no better than a good, maybe even great VFL player.

Listen up Nuffy, we know he’s worth nothing.

We’ve said multiple times he’s not. It’s just a general conversation about where he would end up.
My guess is he won’t end up anywhere other the Geelong and he’ll do that and continue to play VFL.

Go rant on your on board about your list problems, we’re aware of them but you don’t see us jumping around like children

projectv

mostly nonsense
May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Should have cashed him in when they had the chance.

I remember Geelong fans scoffing when we suggested he could have been part of a Jack Steven deal. Apparently he was the future of your club.

Now he's worth nothing.

Wojcinski

Steve Hocking's Polish Friend
Aug 14, 2011
Wieliczka Salt Mine
AFL Club
Geelong

I remember Geelong fans scoffing when we suggested he could have been part of a Jack Steven deal. Apparently he was the future of your club.

Now he's worth nothing.
Yes try and twist that invisible knife, but that was 2 years ago and at that point he was still promising. Since then he has done nothing and shown his true value, you wouldn't find a Cats fan who cares though, since we gave up nothing for Steven anyway.

Pure_Ownage

Premium Platinum
Nov 26, 2008
PODS fan club office
AFL Club
Geelong
No doubt Geelong feel he isn't training hard enough, but it's obscene that he's been given 12 games over four years whilst they top up around him and a few others. Surely you have to give kids a run in the side so they know what it takes? He may never make it, but it feels to me like Geelong's coaching group have incredibly high standards, built on past glories that are now a decade old, and need to adapt to help the less mature and/or resilient kids get a go.

The issue isnt standards he works hard and the coaches like him. Its that his tank is terrible for the modern game he cant run out games at afl speed.

Biggy_Boy

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Now he's worth nothing.
Given Steven was a complete bust, I'm not sure how trading Constable for him would have been 'cashing in'. At this point we'd still perceive it as a loss as he'd likely still be on your list while Steven is long gone from ours.

We also just paid pick 58 for Steven regardless. If that's the type of value we're talking about for Constable, we could probably get similar now. If that's the height his value reached I don't think we've hurt ourselves too badly by keeping him, and we're still more likely to get a player out of him should he stay than had we punted on a pick in the 50s two years ago. When you're talking about that kind of draft capital, it was absolutely worth holding on at the time.

CatToTheFuture

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong

Now he's worth nothing.
Yeah well we just thought he'd build a tank over time. You can't blame us for thinking it and if he was able to run at all he'd be weapon. He just can't.

gaz love x

All Australian
Oct 6, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong

Now he's worth nothing.
Being involved in the Jack Steven deal would also have valued him at nothing so I don't see the difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
Think he is done as cats would let him go for peanuts, fact no news really on him spells time is up at AFL level.

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I think if stengle chooses us he is done as we will need the list spot. I hope he gets a chance somewhere else though.
Sounds like he'll be staying at Geelong if he can't get a trade.

But they didn't say in what capacity – VFL list?

Pure_Ownage

Premium Platinum
Nov 26, 2008
PODS fan club office
AFL Club
Geelong
Sounds like he'll be staying at Geelong if he can't get a trade.

But they didn't say in what capacity – VFL list?

The fact that we signed 5 guys today and not him and hes the last senior listed guy without a contract is a giveaway that we will delist him if he cant find a trade..we might re rookie him depending on whats available in the rookie draft..or sign him to our vfl squad. We need players for our vfl list and it will be hard to get interstaters for that due to the covid restrictions (most good players will prefer sanfl or wafl for now) so we might sign him there like we did with lang this year.

Pure_Ownage

Premium Platinum
Nov 26, 2008
PODS fan club office
AFL Club
Geelong

I think we will rookie him as we did with henderson and brownless a couple years ago-this is purely to give us flexibility with how many picks we use at the draft plus DFAs (stengle is coming and we will be looking closely at schlensog and brander). I doubt another club takes him before that but if they do i hope he does well...he is a good kid just needs to get his running up to afl standard.

CatToTheFuture

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I think we will rookie him as we did with henderson and brownless a couple years ago-this is purely to give us flexibility with how many picks we use at the draft plus DFAs (stengle is coming and we will be looking closely at schlensog and brander). I doubt another club takes him before that but if they do i hope he does well...he is a good kid just needs to get his running up to afl standard.
To be honest I can imagine there would be a few rookies in state leagues we'd look at first.

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Considering the age profile of Geelong I am surprised they are getting rid of Constable. May not be needed right now but in 18 months they could very much need him.

The 747

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Considering the age profile of Geelong I am surprised they are getting rid of Constable. May not be needed right now but in 18 months they could very much need him.

Hmmm well he has been shopped around for two years now - at basically no cost to the acquiring club - and not one of 17 other clubs have been interested.

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Hmmm well he has been shopped around for two years now - at basically no cost to the acquiring club - and not one of 17 other clubs have been interested.

It only seems like his endurance is the problem. Surely that can be somewhat fixed?

Remove this Banner Ad