Delisted Charlie Constable [drafted by Gold Coast at pick 63]

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
44 and 42 in his last two matches, averaging 33 touches a game in the VFL this year. I don't see how Geelong can even fit him into their midfield for even 1 or 2 matches this year unless they get a horror stretch of injuries.

At the start of this season anybody would agreed that our midfield was overstacked with slow inside mids but it is easy to adjust the way you play and turn it into a advantage. When a guy has the ability to find the ball this often I don't think any concerns with endurance fitness matters. He'll probably end up at the Swans and win a Brownlow.

Yeah he will be free to a good home, our club doesn't rate him.

Yeah he will be free to a good home, our club doesn't rate him.

Cats tend to get players to their destinations too. It’s why I’d have no issues trading with Geelong. Fairest and quickest team to trade with

Cats tend to get players to their destinations too. It’s why I’d have no issues trading with Geelong. Fairest and quickest team to trade with
It’s something I’ve noticed Richland do of late as well with our depth players like Markov, Butler and even Miles

Might of been something that Balme brought across from Geelong

It’s something I’ve noticed Richland do of late as well with our depth players like Markov, Butler and even Miles

I remember something that was said by someone senior at the club back when Mumford left to chase money at Sydney: "if someone wants to leave you show them the door". Said it was a pretty instrumental thing for club culture that every player is there because they want to be there and that anyone with a question in their head about an opportunity elsewhere is poison.

Might have left with Balme though because we sure as hell didn't do that with TK.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I remember something that was said by someone senior at the club back when Mumford left to chase money at Sydney: "if someone wants to leave you show them the door". Said it was a pretty instrumental thing for club culture that every player is there because they want to be there and that anyone with a question in their head about an opportunity elsewhere is poison.

Might have left with Balme though because we sure as hell didn't do that with TK.

Nor Gillies , both contracted.... but most of the time they take a teflon approach to trades.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

It's a good strategy, helps to attract players because they know they will be treated well and if they want to leave the club will do what they can to help them get to where they want to go.

Kelly was an interesting one
From the outside it seemed like you guys holding him ransom kinda thing but I still think Kelly was giving you guys mixed messages internally or at least give the indication that he would also be happy to stay and not want out desperately

I guess as well with a lot of the guys we have let go bar Higgins they were all out of contract and not really walk in best 22
It’s a lot easier to let someone go if they aren’t seen as essential

Kelly was an interesting one
From the outside it seemed like you guys holding him ransom kinda thing but I still think Kelly was giving you guys mixed messages internally or at least give the indication that he would also be happy to stay and not want out desperately

I guess as well with a lot of the guys we have let go bar Higgins they were all out of contract and not really walk in best 22
It’s a lot easier to let someone go if they aren’t seen as essential
Yeah I think Kelly played the situation really well. He knew West Coast were keen and knew this was his only shot at a really good contract so used a 1 year contract with us as a genuine threat.

If no trade happened west coast truly believed he'd sign the 1 year big money contract, and TK knew that by having it there as an option put a floor under his contract value which we were happy to provide. In the end everyone, including WCE got what they wanted.

Isn't a trade for a token pick more of a goodwill option? It could be an eleventh round pick. If you make him a DFA he has no surety and could end up in WA.
If he has a contract to sign at the other club for a trade then that's the same surety right? Step one for him is having a contract offer elsewhere regardless I'd have thought

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good fit for the blues as an inside mid? Reckon he could be a Lyons type pick up, can't get a go but has the skills to play a strong role at AFL level.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory

Just on that, I always think that in business. If people want to go, they go. Worst thing is to up the salary to much to try and keep them and their either unhappy or smug buggers having got you over a barrel.

With TK though I thought that wellsy was peeved that having said to him over and over again are you sure you can come then as soon as he arrived he was off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back