News Charlie Constable Round 2 NAB Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how many games SavRat got in the VFL bests?
Can't have seen Miers getting in them too much either, but everyone could tell he was the most talented in the team. And everyone was right.

Really? Miers led our goalkicking and was routinely involved further up the ground in ball transition last year.

I'd be shocked if he didn't feature in the bests pretty routinely.

Who do think he would displace out of the current team?
That is my problem with this situation.
There is not a place for him, (bar injuries) regardless of performance at either level.
Add to that we are even interested in getting Steven.

If I was basing that decision on form, I'd be looking at Selwood - I know that won't happen, but he's been a bit hit & miss this season

Though it seems that since Narkle has come into the side that Selwood has gone back out to the wings - see what happens in the finals

This is it for me, although not necessarily Selwood. There were multiple opportunities to play him and they haven't used them.

Whilst I was being a bit melodramatic, IF Constable has cracked the shits and decides to leave, it will be those games post bye where he wasn't played that may come back to bite us. Mind you, I think the boy needs to be a touch more patient.

Whilst I was being a bit melodramatic, IF Constable has cracked the s**ts and decides to leave, it will be those games post bye where he wasn't played that may come back to bite us. Mind you, I think the boy needs to be a touch more patient.
We're inferring a great deal about the kids attitude from a saints thread that is getting it's information from a source regularly making the highlights on nuffies on afl pages.

Let's see what eventuates post season

Was having a think about this argument the other day, and had a thought. You know what I find hilarious about all these 'Constable is disgruntled and wants out' rumours? Menegola isn't even getting picked in the 1's.

If you were playing in the 2's and you were playing alongside Menegola and Scooter Selwood, would you expect you would get picked ahead of them? Parsons has also been on the list longer and can play mid/forward, which Constable can't. In fact, Parfitt, Ablett, Dahl, Guth, Sel, Danger, Duncan, Menegola, Scooter, Clark, Parsons, Fogarty, Narkle and Atkins have all shown they have positional flexibility. You know who hasn't? Constable.

Constable will end up being a great player if:

a) He can build up his tank and run out games
b) Can improve his defensive work at stoppages
c) Can improve his disposal efficiency
d) Can learn to push up to half-forward/deep forward and be a marking target

He was brought back in, Round 6, after his rest. He performed ok, but was bottom 6 against the Eagles. Was then dropped for Round 7 against the Bombers. In Round 8 against the Kangaroos, he was brought in late for Selwood, and defensively liable, but was given one more chance. In Round 9 he had 11 disposals in a 44 point win where he was close to the worst on ground against a hard-running, strong midfield group like the Dogs. He wasn't tagging, or offering anything defensively, yet still offered nothing going our way, or forward of centre. He was rightfully dropped.

In regards to recent form, Menegola has been performing pretty well too, but has also not been included after his poor AFL performances. If someone like Constable wants out because he thinks he should be picked ahead of a usual Best 22 player in Menegola, then he's not someone I would want at the club anyway. I for one don't think this is the case, but if it is, then it's ridiculous.

Non-guaranteed Best 22 players like Menegola, Atkins, Scooter, Clark, Miers, Guthrie are all in the side because they offer something more than just their playing position:

Menegola, Atkins, Scooter, can all play half-forward/deep forward and mid

Guth can play in defence or as a defensive mid

Clark can play wing and defence

Miers only plays forward, but is the best two-way runner behind Blicavs and Dunc at our club

North Melbourne, St Kilda and even our fans keep making this argument that he's 'so unhappy' because he's languishing in the twos. What they don't mention, is why. Looking over our whole season, I reckon this is why. Scott made a statement after Charlie's Rising Star nom that he 'had to push Selwood and Ablett out to make room for Constable, that's how highly we rate him.' That's why he was picked early on, and the aforementioned is why he stopped getting picked after the first 10 rounds. The rest is all just hot air and hyperbole.
What an absolutely beautiful post bravo

Whilst I was being a bit melodramatic, IF Constable has cracked the s**ts and decides to leave, it will be those games post bye where he wasn't played that may come back to bite us. Mind you, I think the boy needs to be a touch more patient.
Agree. I also think Geelong has a record of not caving to these sorts of demands for contracted players. Problem is, it was players of the likes of Prismall and Gillies. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Let’s hope Chook is a better player than they turned out to be.

For all those wanting Chook in this Friday Parsons has been better in the VFL and would more likely get the call up. He is also more versatile and more polished at this stage (Chook has a brighter future in my opinion)
So as much as we all want Chook to come good he is more than likely going to have to wait till next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're inferring a great deal about the kids attitude from a saints thread that is getting it's information from a source regularly making the highlights on nuffies on afl pages.

Let's see what eventuates post season

Completely agree. Should have said “If”. He seems an intelligent, sensible kid so hopefully he just knuckles down and we see him playing AFL round 1 next season.

Agree. I also think Geelong has a record of not caving to these sorts of demands for contracted players. Problem is, it was players of the likes of Prismall and Gillies. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Let’s hope Chook is a better player than they turned out to be.

I reckon Prismall would have ended up a far better player had he remained at Geelong. Continuing to play alongside some legends of the game would have only been a catalyst for his development which looked to stymie when he moved to the Bombers. I was disappointed he left at the time.

I raised this issue (based on talking to his family) about 6 months ago saying he was unhappy and wanted out, and started in his exit interview last year telling the club he was unhappy. I got slammed on the basis that he signed a one year extension and so it couldn’t be true. He has been telling the club he is unhappy for 12 months. My point is they know that, but are selecting on merit and what they see as the best lineup each week knowing he is pissed off. It is what it is. If he wants out then get a decent pick for him, or don’t trade him and see if he delivers what is required to be in the team. But right now everyone knows where they stand, believe me.

He hasnt been played because he doesnt have the endurance base yet, i doubt he is leaving.

I raised this issue (based on talking to his family) about 6 months ago saying he was unhappy and wanted out, and started in his exit interview last year telling the club he was unhappy. I got slammed on the basis that he signed a one year extension and so it couldn’t be true. He has been telling the club he is unhappy for 12 months. My point is they know that, but are selecting on merit and what they see as the best lineup each week knowing he is pi**ed off. It is what it is. If he wants out then get a decent pick for him, or don’t trade him and see if he delivers what is required to be in the team. But right now everyone knows where they stand, believe me.

He signed a 2year extension to end 2021.

This is it for me, although not necessarily Selwood. There were multiple opportunities to play him and they haven't used them.

Theres not as many opportunities as it looks on paper because unlike our other fringe players he cant play multiple positions.

Theres not as many opportunities as it looks on paper because unlike our other fringe players he cant play multiple positions.

He could have been played. And I disagree that he can’t play multiple positions. He’d be more than capable I reckon at half forward. Btw, how many positions can S.Selwood play? Effectively? Or Parsons? Or Atkins?

I raised this issue (based on talking to his family) about 6 months ago saying he was unhappy and wanted out, and started in his exit interview last year telling the club he was unhappy. I got slammed on the basis that he signed a one year extension and so it couldn’t be true. He has been telling the club he is unhappy for 12 months. My point is they know that, but are selecting on merit and what they see as the best lineup each week knowing he is pi**ed off. It is what it is. If he wants out then get a decent pick for him, or don’t trade him and see if he delivers what is required to be in the team. But right now everyone knows where they stand, believe me.
So unhappy he signed a multi year extension a few months ago. Gtfo.

Was having a think about this argument the other day, and had a thought. You know what I find hilarious about all these 'Constable is disgruntled and wants out' rumours? Menegola isn't even getting picked in the 1's.

If you were playing in the 2's and you were playing alongside Menegola and Scooter Selwood, would you expect you would get picked ahead of them? Parsons has also been on the list longer and can play mid/forward, which Constable can't. In fact, Parfitt, Ablett, Dahl, Guth, Sel, Danger, Duncan, Menegola, Scooter, Clark, Parsons, Fogarty, Narkle and Atkins have all shown they have positional flexibility. You know who hasn't? Constable.

Constable will end up being a great player if:

a) He can build up his tank and run out games
b) Can improve his defensive work at stoppages
c) Can improve his disposal efficiency
d) Can learn to push up to half-forward/deep forward and be a marking target

He was brought back in, Round 6, after his rest. He performed ok, but was bottom 6 against the Eagles. Was then dropped for Round 7 against the Bombers. In Round 8 against the Kangaroos, he was brought in late for Selwood, and defensively liable, but was given one more chance. In Round 9 he had 11 disposals in a 44 point win where he was close to the worst on ground against a hard-running, strong midfield group like the Dogs. He wasn't tagging, or offering anything defensively, yet still offered nothing going our way, or forward of centre. He was rightfully dropped.

In regards to recent form, Menegola has been performing pretty well too, but has also not been included after his poor AFL performances. If someone like Constable wants out because he thinks he should be picked ahead of a usual Best 22 player in Menegola, then he's not someone I would want at the club anyway. I for one don't think this is the case, but if it is, then it's ridiculous.

Non-guaranteed Best 22 players like Menegola, Atkins, Scooter, Clark, Miers, Guthrie are all in the side because they offer something more than just their playing position:

Menegola, Atkins, Scooter, can all play half-forward/deep forward and mid

Guth can play in defence or as a defensive mid

Clark can play wing and defence

Miers only plays forward, but is the best two-way runner behind Blicavs and Dunc at our club

North Melbourne, St Kilda and even our fans keep making this argument that he's 'so unhappy' because he's languishing in the twos. What they don't mention, is why. Looking over our whole season, I reckon this is why. Scott made a statement after Charlie's Rising Star nom that he 'had to push Selwood and Ablett out to make room for Constable, that's how highly we rate him.' That's why he was picked early on, and the aforementioned is why he stopped getting picked after the first 10 rounds. The rest is all just hot air and hyperbole.
What the......
He was great against North lol. Easily one our best.
Was absolutely fine against the Eagles too. Better than Selwood or Menegola.
Either Guthrie or Clark were the worst against the Dogs, one has 150 games more than Constable and on way more money.
None of this is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back