News Charlie Constable Round 2 NAB Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I raised this issue (based on talking to his family) about 6 months ago saying he was unhappy and wanted out, and started in his exit interview last year telling the club he was unhappy. I got slammed on the basis that he signed a one year extension and so it couldn’t be true. He has been telling the club he is unhappy for 12 months. My point is they know that, but are selecting on merit and what they see as the best lineup each week knowing he is pi**ed off. It is what it is. If he wants out then get a decent pick for him, or don’t trade him and see if he delivers what is required to be in the team. But right now everyone knows where they stand, believe me.
I'm not sure whether your username is indicative of where you live cos if it is you'd have to travel a fair old distance to meet Chook's family.

I don't have the benefit of speaking to them but I did have conversations mid year with a person working as a casual in a fruiterers in the southern suburbs where he's from and who is a mate of Chook's and at that time he said Chook was as happy as a pig in the proverbial. Loved the learnings from the likes of Danger, Sel, Junior et al

He hasnt been played because he doesnt have the endurance base yet, i doubt he is leaving.

He has also yet to take a contested mark in 7 AFL games....for me, that's a concern.

I suspect he has significant shortcomings in addition to this ( perhaps endurance) and that's why he has been sent back to the VFL to develop his game/skills....just as Miers did last year.

Not sure anyone is are they? I think everyone is resigned to that.

On Facebook I've seen some who prefer Constable.

All I ask is that our MC don't take the advice of this proposed team:

FB blic Henderson touhy
Hb Clark Stewart Guthrie
C danger Kelly narkle
Fol Stanley Duncan selwood
Hf ablett Hawkins dahlhaus
FF miers sav Rohan
I/C menegola scooter Atkins parfitt

What the......
He was great against North lol. Easily one our best.
Was absolutely fine against the Eagles too. Better than Selwood or Menegola.
Either Guthrie or Clark were the worst against the Dogs, one has 150 games more than Constable and on way more money.
None of this is true.

How rude.

Care to back this up with evidence, rather than just 'you're wrong.' Pretty sure my statement about him being unable to play multiple positions is true. So there goes your 'none of this is true' statement.

Round 6 is where he started to falter. He wasn't 'easily one of our best' against North either, as he got most of his disposals as cheap marks down back in the last quarter. We had a ton of players clean up with disposals and marks that game. Miers had 22 disposals and 8 marks, but he wasn't one of our best either. Watch that game again, Constable was not that impressive. Wasn't named in the 'bests' either.

Perhaps if you dealt in reasoned arguments rather than just rhetoric, opinion and hyperbole, you wouldn't be so attached to your opinion. I championed Constable as much as anyone at the start of the season, but he dropped off as the season went on. Especially in his pressure around the ball.

Guth was tasked with tagging Bont (especially in the last quarter), which he did to aplomb. 20 disposals and 2 cameo goals in the 3rd, is a good amount to hold Bont to. He also had 7 tackles, the most of anyone in our team. Clark I agree with, but he was also learning a new role on the wing. He showed positional flexibility, even playing forward. Constable did not.

Selwood had 25 disposals playing on a mix of wing/inside mid against the Eagles, while Constable started as inside mid, attended a stack of centre bounces and had 21. Selwood was named in the bests, Constable was not. Menegola had 22, and was probably about on par with Constable. Both are playing VFL right now.

Clearly the coaches agree, or he'd be playing, lol. It's not like Menegola got a free pass. He played like crap for two games, he was dropped and hasn't been sighted since.

In future, provide reasoned arguments, rather than just overarching statements like 'none of this is true.' We're not accomplishing anything here otherwise.

He has also yet to take a contested mark in 7 AFL games....for me, that's a concern.

I suspect he has significant shortcomings in addition to this ( perhaps endurance) and that's why he has been sent back to the VFL to develop his game/skills....just as Miers did last year.

My bigger disappointment is only 2 x one percenters from his 7 games.

One percenter definition: There are four actions which constitute a one percenter according to official AFL statistics: knock-ons, spoils, smothers, and shepherds.

We have 5 players who have played 5 or more games averaging less than 1 of those per game and that's disappointing to see; especially as 3 of them are midfielders who you'd like to think could put on a shepherd for a teammate to help them at a contest.

My bigger disappointment is only 2 x one percenters from his 7 games.

One percenter definition: There are four actions which constitute a one percenter according to official AFL statistics: knock-ons, spoils, smothers, and shepherds.

We have 5 players who have played 5 or more games averaging less than 1 of those per game and that's disappointing to see; especially as 3 of them are midfielders who you'd like to think could put on a shepherd for a teammate to help them at a contest.

A further insight into why Constable is not being selected.

How rude.

Care to back this up with evidence, rather than just 'you're wrong.' Pretty sure my statement about him being unable to play multiple positions is true. So there goes your 'none of this is true' statement.

Round 6 is where he started to falter. He wasn't 'easily one of our best' against North either, as he got most of his disposals as cheap marks down back in the last quarter. We had a ton of players clean up with disposals and marks that game. Miers had 22 disposals and 8 marks, but he wasn't one of our best either. Watch that game again, Constable was not that impressive. Wasn't named in the 'bests' either.

Perhaps if you dealt in reasoned arguments rather than just rhetoric, opinion and hyperbole, you wouldn't be so attached to your opinion. I championed Constable as much as anyone at the start of the season, but he dropped off as the season went on. Especially in his pressure around the ball.

Guth was tasked with tagging Bont (especially in the last quarter), which he did to aplomb. 20 disposals and 2 cameo goals in the 3rd, is a good amount to hold Bont to. He also had 7 tackles, the most of anyone in our team. Clark I agree with, but he was also learning a new role on the wing. He showed positional flexibility, even playing forward. Constable did not.

Selwood had 25 disposals playing on a mix of wing/inside mid against the Eagles, while Constable started as inside mid, attended a stack of centre bounces and had 21. Selwood was named in the bests, Constable was not. Menegola had 22, and was probably about on par with Constable. Both are playing VFL right now.

Clearly the coaches agree, or he'd be playing, lol. It's not like Menegola got a free pass. He played like crap for two games, he was dropped and hasn't been sighted since.

In future, provide reasoned arguments, rather than just overarching statements like 'none of this is true.' We're not accomplishing anything here otherwise.
Sorry for offending you. It did come across as rude. And was rude. My bad.
Also wrong too. He is obviously a one position player.
Most of his posses as cheapies down back in the last qr?
He got 2 possessions down back in the last qr. Not sure how he was a defensive liability either unless he played on Higgins which he didn't.
He was absolutely fine. Good game.
Guthrie only tagged the Bont in the last. Yeah five possessions in last qr for Bont is a little below par for him. Hardly mind blowing though and the rest of the Dogs mids had a night out.
It was a pretty poor game by the Guthster.
WC game I meant to say Kelly. But still played well. Best our MF has looked all year that game IMO.
Good balance.
Menegola shouldn't get a free pass. His finals have been deplorable. Amazing we are looking at going in with him again.
Saying he started to fault at rnd 6. C'mon! He's played 7 games all up. You stick with him.
I have honestly never seen a 7 game player who has performed well critiqued so harshly by some.

I’m simply saying what his family have told me. Signing the contract could have been for security anyway, I have no idea and never said I did. Your final sign off clearly indicates your level of insight and intelligence
Ah the old play the man. And i’m the one who lacks intelligence.

I do know bullshit when i read it though and will call it out. Again you can’t answer why if he is so unhappy, he signed a contract extension a few months ago. And a multi year one at that.

Or are second hand “insights” all you have?

Again you can’t answer why if he is so unhappy

If I'd pulled the stats he did in 2019, at his age, with the limited opportunity he's been given. I'd be pissed.

I look at what he did early in the season and wonder what else he could have done to hold his spot. Then Scott tries and tries to get guys like Parsons (all talent, no balls, too slow at AFL level) back in, maintains Guthrie (softest, most pointless excuse for a defensive mid AFL has ever seen), even Atkins (good but has trouble staying in / reading the game) - these guys routinely go missing for whole quarters, and have so little impact on games consistently. Investing in youth and talent seems like a respectable alternative, at least play the kid till he burns out..

If I'd pulled the stats he did in 2019, at his age, with the limited opportunity he's been given. I'd be pi**ed.

I look at what he did early in the season and wonder what else he could have done to hold his spot. Then Scott tries and tries to get guys like Parsons (all talent, no balls, too slow at AFL level) back in, maintains Guthrie (softest, most pointless excuse for a defensive mid AFL has ever seen), even Atkins (good but has trouble staying in / reading the game) - these guys routinely go missing for whole quarters, and have so little impact on games consistently. Investing in youth and talent seems like a respectable alternative, at least play the kid till he burns out..
He has no defensive side to his game , he will be a liability out there until he develops his game further.

All this bullshit about him being pissed is just unfounded crap. If he was really unhappy he wouldn’t had signed a multi year contract a few weeks ago.

June 2018 is when Constable re-signed for 2 years - still thinking that if he was annoyed with the club even last year that he wouldn't have signed a 2-year extension before playing a game though, so seems we have been doing something right:

Stewart, Lachie Fogarty, Charlie Constable and Mark O'Connor have all agreed to new contracts with the club.
Stewart has signed an extension until the end of 2021, while draftees Fogarty and Constable have also extended until 2021 with two-year extensions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this bulls**t about him being pi**ed is just unfounded crap. If he was really unhappy he wouldn’t had signed a multi year contract a few weeks ago.

Maybe it is BS, I have no means to say he was, I just said I'd be pissed. But I'm someone who questions some of the players the club try to get in there before him.

Parsons for example. What kind of defensive game does he have? Lol. Why play him in front of Constable? Parsons is a guy who continually comes back in, continually under performs, then gets dropped.

Cameron 'THE defensive mid extraordinaire' Guthrie has averaged just over 1 more tackle in 2019 than Constable. Every other stat comparison with Constable doesn't flatter Guthrie either. What exactly are we getting from a 160 game senior? Spud. I'd invest in youth and would have given Constable at least another 3-4 games in a row this year to see how he went. His stats for a teenager at AFL level are very, very good by anyone's measure. The investment would have been worth it.

still thinking that if he was annoyed with the club even last year that he wouldn't have signed a 2-year extension

He's young, he's at a good club who no doubt has told him he'll get opportunity. 2 years isn't long, no need to leave. I recall Chris Scott saying on AFL360 when questioned why Constable wasn't playing - "Constable is an AFL player".

The fact is, none of us know what he thinks. All clubs are the same, there's always a decent portion of guys in them who aren't happy for a variety of reasons, just like any other workplace. Maybe he's content, maybe he thinks he deserved more opportunity in 2019 (I'd say likely). Who knows?

Your assumption is no more valid than anyone else's.

June 2018 is when Constable re-signed for 2 years - still thinking that if he was annoyed with the club even last year that he wouldn't have signed a 2-year extension before playing a game though, so seems we have been doing something right:

Stewart, Lachie Fogarty, Charlie Constable and Mark O'Connor have all agreed to new contracts with the club.
Stewart has signed an extension until the end of 2021, while draftees Fogarty and Constable have also extended until 2021 with two-year extensions.

Why would he have been annoyed last year? He hadn't shown he was capable of having an impact at AFL level then. The contract extension he signed in 2018 means nothing. He would have had reasonable grounds to suspect he'd be in the AFL side in a year's time, which has not eventuated. So it's easy to see why he may not be too happy.

Why would he have been annoyed last year? He hadn't shown he was capable of having an impact at AFL level then. The contract extension he signed in 2018 means nothing. He would have had reasonable grounds to suspect he'd be in the AFL side in a year's time, which has not eventuated. So it's easy to see why he may not be too happy.

Someone who claims to know the family has said that he wasn't happy last year, that he wanted out then & let the club know in his exit interview at the end of the 2018 season.

Just saying that it seems to be a big swing from signing a 2-year contract extension in May/June to 4 months later telling the club he's unhappy & wants out, and apparently he's been unhappy for over 12 months.

Someone who claims to know the family has said that he wasn't happy last year, that he wanted out then & let the club know in his exit interview at the end of the 2018 season.

Just saying that it seems to be a big swing from signing a 2-year contract extension in May/June to 4 months later telling the club he's unhappy & wants out, and apparently he's been unhappy for over 12 months.
I thought it was more like "I reckon I should of got a couple of games this year"
"Not to be, you'll certainly get games next year if you keep this form up"
"Fair enough, still think I should've got a couple"
Then Duncan came in and threw a chair at him.
Possibly he actually wants out this year. But who knows. Doubt it, unless he puts he's hand up in a Steven trade or something like that.
If I was he's Dad I'd probably advise him to look around if possible TBH.
Guthrie, Danger, Selwood ain't going anywhere.
Then factor in Menegola, Scooter, Parfitt, Narkle, probably Steven.
Get regular games now, buy a house while your still young. Set yourself up.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to be under the impression he signed a contract a couple of months ago for some reason.

I thought it was more like "I reckon I should of got a couple of games this year"
"Not to be, you'll certainly get games next year if you keep this form up"
"Fair enough, still think I should've got a couple"
Then Duncan came in and threw a chair at him.
Possibly he actually wants out this year. But who knows. Doubt it, unless he puts he's hand up in a Steven trade or something like that.
If I was he's Dad I'd probably advise him to look around if possible TBH.
Guthrie, Danger, Selwood ain't going anywhere.
Then factor in Menegola, Scooter, Parfitt, Narkle, probably Steven.
Get regular games now, buy a house while your still young. Set yourself up.

It's interesting to read through some Constable news from last year.

This is from 19 April:
"We're getting more and more confident that Charlie Constable is an AFL player," Scott said before Thursday's teams announcement.
"We thought that through the pre-season and he's pressing his case pretty strongly."

And this is from June 14:
Draftee Charlie Constable will also return from a concussion suffered against Collingwood on May 13.
Constable was given two weeks to get over the symptoms, before being put through a solid training block.

And from August 6:
He conceded he would love to make his AFL debut in his first year at Geelong, but added it is not his number one priority.
“They (the coaches) have just given me parts of my game to work on and I guess at the moment we’ve got a really strong midfield in our AFL side, so I’ve just got to wait for my opportunity, but hopefully when it comes I’ll be ready,” he said.
“I haven’t really asked, I’m more about working on parts of my game and hopefully if I improve my overall game I might just force my way in there anyway.
“I’d definitely love to play, and I think if I got my opportunity I’d be able to do some good things, but it’s tough to break in there.
“If I don’t play this year it will give me a lot of motivation over the off-season to train well and hopefully play well next year.”
Constable said the work he was doing at training with coaches Shane O’Bree and Nigel Lappin, as well as midfield beast Scott Selwood, had increased his self-belief on game day.

That all reads like a player who is quite happy with the way things are progressing - I know they have media training & such, but seemed to have a good attitude & approach to things. Hopefully it's similar this year, he's got a good relationship with the coaches, knows what parts of his game to work on & puts his head down over the off-season, trains well & is ready for round 1 next season

I thought you could only be nominated once?

A player can only be nominated once per season but theoretically, they can probably be nominated 3 times if one is eligible across 3 seasons; though I'd question the decision to nominate a player for a 3rd time

It is possible for a player to be nominated in multiple seasons, as long as he still satisfies the age and experience criteria in each year. Eleven players have been nominated twice for a Rising Star award:

Duncan Kellaway (1993 and 1994)
Craig Callaghan (1995 and 1996)
Michael Braun (1997 and 1998)
Luke Power (1998 and 1999)
Nathan Jones (2006 and 2007)
Mark LeCras (2006 and 2007)
Michael Hurley (2009 and 2010)
Jordan Gysberts (2010 and 2011)
Sam Blease (2011 and 2012)
Orazio Fantasia (2015 and 2016)
Alex Witherden (2017 and 2018)

A player can only be nominated once per season but theoretically, they can probably be nominated 3 times if one is eligible across 3 seasons; though I'd question the decision to nominate a player for a 3rd time

It is possible for a player to be nominated in multiple seasons, as long as he still satisfies the age and experience criteria in each year. Eleven players have been nominated twice for a Rising Star award:

Duncan Kellaway (1993 and 1994)
Craig Callaghan (1995 and 1996)
Michael Braun (1997 and 1998)
Luke Power (1998 and 1999)
Nathan Jones (2006 and 2007)
Mark LeCras (2006 and 2007)
Michael Hurley (2009 and 2010)
Jordan Gysberts (2010 and 2011)
Sam Blease (2011 and 2012)
Orazio Fantasia (2015 and 2016)
Alex Witherden (2017 and 2018)
Cheers for the clarification and follow up mate.

Is it. Gary Ablett 1 in his first 8 games.
Patrick Dangerfield 1 in his first 8 games.
Joel Selwood 0 in his first 22 games.
I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Is it. Gary Ablett 1 in his first 8 games.
Patrick Dangerfield 1 in his first 8 games.
Joel Selwood 0 in his first 22 games.
I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

It is a pretty crazy comment. Sure it is nice if you have a midfielder that can go forward and take a contested grab like Dangerfield but Constable is never going to be that player. Best case scenario he develops into a Jobe Watson type who went at 0.2 contested marks a game....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back