Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Would love him at Port. Especially given what his trade value will be. Seems like we are one of the teams very interested from all reports too. Get it done!

Aug 20, 2013
Trading Charlie Constable and bringing in 33 year old Shuan Higgins alongside 32 yo Isaac Smith, 32 yo Joel Selwood, 30 yo Patrick Dangerfield...... I'm starting to wonder why Stephen Wells is allowed to drink on the job, and why he seems to think the world is ending on Dec 31st 2021??

I’m starting to wonder why Hawthorn insist on recruiting D grade key defenders. Frost, Hartley and Hartigan; the future is bright at Glenferrie. If all else fails you can try McEvoy again too. Enjoy the view from down below because you’re gonna be there for a long, long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Wonder why geelong havent given him more opportunities. Selwood has 1-2 years left max in the midfield and dangerfield is being used frequently up forward

Because the guy can only play two thirds of a game and can only play in one position. He's behind all of Guthrie, Danger, Parfitt, Selwood, Menegola, Duncan, Fogarty, Simpson and Atkins, in the pecking order. He hasn't improved his running capacity, and hasn't really improved since the first half of 2018. North, you guys or Saints would be his best bet IMO - if he can improve his tank/get fitter, put on some more muscle, and improve his defensive capabilities

Wonder why geelong havent given him more opportunities. Selwood has 1-2 years left max in the midfield and dangerfield is being used frequently up forward
Can't run out a full game. Hasn't built the endurance. A defensive liability late in games until he builds it. I think one more preseason might do it

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Because the guy can only play two thirds of a game and can only play in one position. He's behind all of Guthrie, Danger, Parfitt, Selwood, Menegola, Duncan, Fogarty, Simpson and Atkins, in the pecking order. He hasn't improved his running capacity, and hasn't really improved since the first half of 2018. North, you guys or Saints would be his best bet IMO - if he can improve his tank/get fitter, put on some more muscle, and improve his defensive capabilities

The same Cam Guthrie that won Geelong's BnF as an inside mid playing only two thirds of games? In fact he's averaged only 73% TOG over the past 6 years. 76% over his entire career and was widely considered a B grader up until this year. Amazing how he even survived 10 years on an AFL list playing close to 200 games as a second tier mid for the most part with poor endurance. If only Constable had the same opportunities despite his own similar limitations.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
The same Cam Guthrie that won Geelong's BnF as an inside mid playing only two thirds of games? In fact he's averaged only 73% TOG over the past 6 years. 76% over his entire career and was widely considered a B grader up until this year. Amazing how he even survived 10 years on an AFL list playing close to 200 games as a second tier mid for the most part with poor endurance. If only Constable had the same opportunities despite his own similar limitations.

This is an...odd comment. He's not even a player you want, yet you're getting so up in arms about it.

73% over the last 6 years, and 76% over his career is a fair bit more than the 65% Constable usually plays - one is 2/3rds, the other is 3/4.

Guth was also played out of position for many years, due to him always being a role player. This year is the first year he's got to really play as that pure attacking mid that a lot of us Geelong supporters knew he could be. Also, Geelong rotates 1 or 2 defenders off the bench most games, so anyone who plays off the bench - generally plays lower game time. His numbers in 2016, 2019 and 2020 probably would be the better averages to look at - when he played as a mid.

What would I know though, it's only my team and you clearly know much more about both players

Last edited:

Guthrie covers the ground far better and contributes far more away from stoppages than CC does.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Yeah seem to be burning their youngsters for guys over 30

Sam Simpson just got brought in for a finals series, and kept 4 x B+F Jack Steven out of the Grand Final.

Half our Best 22 is 28 or under, lol

Yes the same Cam Guthrie that just got an All Australian selection and beat the coleman medal winner in the bnf thanks for asking

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is an...odd comment. He's not even a player you want, yet you're getting so up in arms about it.

73% over the last 6 years, and 76% over his career is a fair bit more than the 65% Constable usually plays - one is 2/3rds, the other is 3/4.

Guth was also played out of position for many years, due to him always being a role player. This year is the first year he's got to really play as that pure attacking mid that a lot of us Geelong supporters knew he could be. Also, Geelong rotates 1 or 2 defenders off the bench most games, so anyone who plays off the bench - generally plays lower game time. His numbers in 2016, 2019 and 2020 probably would be the better averages to look at - when he played as a mid.

What would I know though, it's only my team and you clearly know much more about both players

Do you even understand that I'm a person and not a representative of the team I follow?

It was a fair comparison. Constable could easily play 75%+ TOG however the Geelong coaching staff have chosen to only give him limited game time in the few games that he has played so far.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yes the same Cam Guthrie that just got an All Australian selection and beat the coleman medal winner in the bnf thanks for asking

I believe I already made that point in my post. He won a BnF despite only playing two thirds game time this year and previous to this year only ever been a B grader. There is hope for Constable yet.

Do you even understand that I'm a person and not a representative of the team I follow?

It was a fair comparison. Constable could easily play 75%+ TOG however the Geelong coaching staff have chosen to only give him limited game time in the few games that he has played so far.
Not sure that's correct. Go on the afl app and look at his highlights reel. You'll see a lot of 1st and second quarter highlights, a third here or there, then not much in 4th quarters.

Comparisons to Guthries TOG aren't particularly useful either. Guthrie has some acceleration from stoppage, he's a sprinter not a marathon runner. Constable can't do either currently and unless he can train himself to run he is the stoppage.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Guthrie covers the ground far better and contributes far more away from stoppages than CC does.

I don't doubt that. Guthrie managed only 73% game time this year, which is very low for an inside mid, when you consider that elite inside mids like Titch/Fyfe/Cripps play 85-90% TOG. Is that because Guthrie has no tank or that the coaching staff believe he is more effective in short bursts? Is Constable only playing 60-65% game time because he is incapable of playing more minutes or because the coaching staff choose not to give him more TOG?

I believe I already made that point in my post. He won a BnF despite only playing two thirds game time this year and previous to this year only ever been a B grader. There is hope for Constable yet.
I'm not saying that constable is a lost cause. He's got serious skills and his best trick is absorbing tackles and still getting an effective disposal away. In that way he creates space for others. But if thats the only trick he has in the bag so far then he needs to be able to do it over an over

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018

He actually can't - that's the whole problem. It's been his downfall since he was drafted, and a huge reason why he slipped down the rankings from Top 10 possibility, to Pick 36. He hasn't improved on it since.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
If that's the case, why would any other team even want him? May as well just delist

Always about that 'potential.' Another team may think a fresh start will do wonders for Constable and get him to really pull the proverbial finger out. I honestly really hope it does and that he thrives - as he's a great kid - but I think that he still has a very long way to go.

It's why I think North would be the best fit, as they're going through a complete rebuild, and he could take his time working on everything he needs to - instead of being kicked out of the team each week due to being on the fringes of a very well stocked team in the middle like Geelong

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Always about that 'potential.' Another team may think a fresh start will do wonders for Constable and get him to really pull the proverbial finger out. I honestly really hope it does and that he thrives - as he's a great kid - but I think that he still has a very long way to go.

It's why I think North would be the best fit, as they're going through a complete rebuild, and he could take his time working on everything he needs to - instead of being kicked out of the team each week due to being on the fringes of a very well stocked team in the middle like Geelong
North isn't going through a complete rebuild, more flushing the toilet of all the players who aren't moving forward or contributing to the success of the team.
Of the 11 guys retired there's probably 1-2 maybe that get picked up as delisted free agents and that means its probably good they aren't in Norths side either.
None of the 11 were really best 22 and only losing 2-3 in brown, higgins and potentially Polec.
Agree that constable would be a good fit and we can currently offer him more mid time than Geelong in 2021 and could be a gun mid for the team in the long run. Have some reservations coming from rumours I've heard regarding work ethic and endurance etc. Seems to be a 'pure' mid which doesn't work for Geelong's side as they like to rotate between forward/mid with a lot of players and I see North moving to a similar gameplan to limit superstars being on bench for prolonged periods of time.
See what happens but Brady definitely has him in his sights.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
North isn't going through a complete rebuild, more flushing the toilet of all the players who aren't moving forward or contributing to the success of the team.
Of the 11 guys retired there's probably 1-2 maybe that get picked up as delisted free agents and that means its probably good they aren't in Norths side either.
None of the 11 were really best 22 and only losing 2-3 in brown, higgins and potentially Polec.
Agree that constable would be a good fit and we can currently offer him more mid time than Geelong in 2021 and could be a gun mid for the team in the long run. Have some reservations coming from rumours I've heard regarding work ethic and endurance etc. Seems to be a 'pure' mid which doesn't work for Geelong's side as they like to rotate between forward/mid with a lot of players and I see North moving to a similar gameplan to limit superstars being on bench for prolonged periods of time.
See what happens but Brady definitely has him in his sights.

Reckon Constable for Higgins would be a move that suits all parties. You guys get the possibility of 10 year midfielder - albeit with some areas of improvement -, we get 2 years out of an elite mid who will replace Ablett at half forward, but is also coming to the end of his career himself. Suits all, and would be relatively straightforward to get done

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Reckon Constable for Higgins would be a move that suits all parties. You guys get the possibility of 10 year midfielder - albeit with some areas of improvement -, we get 2 years out of an elite mid who will replace Ablett at half forward, but is also coming to the end of his career himself. Suits all, and would be relatively straightforward to get done
Yeah I think that will happen with potentially a late pick going your way for narkle included in the trade.
What do you think constables best attributes etc are? Trying to work out what he offers to a team.

Back