Charlie Curnow - The Return!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well then, the loooong awaited moment arrives tomorrow night!

I for one am operating on the assumption that he's fully fit and ready to light it up - Russell must have green lit this decision, as surely he could not be coerced or ignored right under the nose of the reviewers - that would be next level stupidity...

Fingers crossed he looks good, runs it out on limited minutes and kicks a snag or two. If that happens I'll be bloody happy - win, lose or draw. Go Charlie!!!

You are close two great establishments; Meatsmith in St Kilda, little pricey but the best sausages in Melbourne.
Baker Bleu, incredibly great bread, often sell out by 11am, worth the drive from where you are (10 mins).

Now you know what drives me in life, please keep it to yourself

Add a good blue cheese and a pale ale and that’s me sorted.

Was actually a little annoyed with Ross Lyon on Footy Classified last night.

Never heard a commentator who has absolutely no knowledge about a footballers injury, rehab, state of mind etc pass judgement about whether a club should be bringing a player back.

Actually have always thought of him (despite him trying to reinvent himself in the media as a goofy old uncle) as fairly self absorbed.

For those who are willing to overlook the way he stitched up the saints, and his indiscretions to female staff at freo, and want him as our coach, be careful what you wish for. There are better options available.

.....AAND so it starts

I'm not sure I understand what peoples aversion to playing him is. He's fit and has been for months, I remember Teague talking mid-season saying Charlie was hassling him to play as he was fit but they were going to be extra conservative. He hasn't been rushed back in any sense.

Are people worried he'll pick up another injury or that he'll re-injure the knee? If it's re-injury then it's no more likely this year than next. Like I said, they've been so conservative with it he's been fully fit health-wise for a while now, it was just building his game fitness that was delaying his return.

There's not really a reason not to play him. He's no more likely to injure it again now than he would if we waiting for next year.

I'm not sure I understand what peoples aversion to playing him is. He's fit and has been for months, I remember Teague talking mid-season saying Charlie was hassling him to play as he was fit but they were going to be extra conservative. He hasn't been rushed back in any sense.

Are people worried he'll pick up another injury or that he'll re-injure the knee? If it's re-injury then it's no more likely this year than next. Like I said, they've been so conservative with it he's been fully fit health-wise for a while now, it was just building his game fitness that was delaying his return.

There's not really a reason not to play him. He's no more likely to injure it again now than he would if we waiting for next year.
Agree, we lose sight of what an endurance freak he is, he’s aerobic fitness is not the issue, touch and match practice will be, but when you’re as gifted as him whatever he offers will be better than any other option. Andy Walker was similar, aerobic freak who could step in after a long break and be really competitive

Agree, we lose sight of what an endurance freak he is, he’s aerobic fitness is not the issue, touch and match practice will be, but when you’re as gifted as him whatever he offers will be better than any other option. Andy Walker was similar, aerobic freak who could step in after a long break and be really competitive
I anticipate his touch will be off, probably drop some short handballs and won't time his jumps quite right and things like that, but yeah in terms of fitness I don't think he'll have any issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross Lyons babbling on and on about bringing CC back too early. What the fork would he actually know.? This guy really rubs me the wrong the way. Don't need him anywhere near our club. And sadly he'll be sitting there, waiting for charlie to fall over so he can act like Mr nostradamus predictor I told you so. The media will go in to super catastrophe mode if Charlie so much as breaks a finger nail.

This is pure conditioning and a why not considering our season is shot. Get him playing games now. Be a totally different story if we were flying in 4th position. He wouldn't get a gig. If the brains trust of the fitness department say he's ready. Than he's ready. If he can get the rest of the season in at AFL level and come thru well let's do it.

Charlie's had all his fitness chances and played all his breakdown cards IMO. No more 'getting thru' and 'holding on'. You're either up for the crash and bash of the game or it's time to start the social lawn bowls team.

He's promised so much. Time to deliver big fella.

Thank You!
Excellent post. Some common sense at last.

I hope Charlie shows maturity and a concerted effort throughout the game.
Physically he’s fine we have a stack of experts that have given ok, so he’s ready to go, it’s the pressure of our expectation that’s a concern and how Charlie copes with it all.
Get through the game unscathed and showy some flashy bits is all I ask.

I hope Charlie shows maturity and a concerted effort throughout the game.
Physically he’s fine we have a stack of experts that have given ok, so he’s ready to go, it’s the pressure of our expectation that’s a concern and how Charlie copes with it all.
Get through the game unscathed and showy some flashy bits is all I ask.
I think the expectation is more outside the club and our fans. We all know he'll be looking for touch and form, but media pundits will hit him if he doesn't kick 3 goals and get a dozen possessions.

Heck, even if he does kick 3 with 12 touches I'm sure Kane will find a way to write him off. Seems to have already written Rowell off so that bar is pretty high!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back