Charlie Dean list spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Cobalt King

Team Captain
Sep 21, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
This has probably been discussed somewhere else but I can't find it, with Dean now back in full training and presumably nearing a return to playing VFL what does this mean for his list spot? Is he no longer on the long term injury list? My understanding is we were able to list Markov because Dean was "inactive" does that change if he becomes available for selection? Or he is ineligible for AFL selection for the entire season? What does it mean for Markov?

I'm not saying Dean would be selected for the AFL team even if he is eligible, obvious he just needs to get on the park and find some continuity, I'm just wondering what the rules are

Not sure. Kreuger came back last year and played seniors much to the surprise of many…. Apparently the club got approval to put another player on the LTI list late in the season.

We don’t even have a season ending LTI to replace Dean even if we wanted to try ….

Hopefully he’s at least permitted to play VFL. Can’t see why not.

This has probably been discussed somewhere else but I can't find it, with Dean now back in full training and presumably nearing a return to playing VFL what does this mean for his list spot? Is he no longer on the long term injury list? My understanding is we were able to list Markov because Dean was "inactive" does that change if he becomes available for selection? Or he is ineligible for AFL selection for the entire season? What does it mean for Markov?

I'm not saying Dean would be selected for the AFL team even if he is eligible, obvious he just needs to get on the park and find some continuity, I'm just wondering what the rules are
He’s literally only just begun to start running. I’m not sure it’s really something we need to worry about at this point, but assuming he gets back to playing fitness this year he can’t play senior footy unless another player goes on the inactive list. I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think that stops him playing VFL footy though, happy to be corrected on that if I’m wrong.

Not sure. Kreuger came back last year and played seniors much to the surprise of many…. Apparently the club got approval to put another player on the LTI list late in the season.

We don’t even have a season ending LTI to replace Dean even if we wanted to try ….

Hopefully he’s at least permitted to play VFL. Can’t see why not.

Rougheads retirement.

I think it'd be silly if he was. Basically gives you licence to put project players on inactive list, and add a depth player even when they're not out for the year.

Good argument too…. It would definitely need afl sign off to ensure the club isn’t taking the proverbial but in deans case I suspect we would have a good argument for him to be allowed to play vfl. Perhaps it’s a case by case basis.

Good argument too…. It would definitely need afl sign off to ensure the club isn’t taking the proverbial but in deans case I suspect we would have a good argument for him to be allowed to play vfl. Perhaps it’s a case by case basis.
Don't think it'll be an issue any time soon. Would have barely run for 18 months and I suspect they'll build up his running loads slowly.

I can't imagine the club would have any thought of him playing in the near future. Though I don't think he'd be allowed to even at VFL level (I'd say rule 26.4 (a) suggests that), as things stand, and that he couldn't unless another LTI came along.

This is from: Amended-AFL-Rules-effective-28-February-2023.pdf
1686465268548.png
1686465767367.png
1686465845542.png
It is worth noting, especially for posters on here who are always desperate for us to have picks in the mid-season draft, that attempting to move a player onto the Inactive/LTI List is not a simple matter and may not prove successful (especially if he doesn't have a genuine LTI)!
1686466730890.png

1686466848865.png

Don't think it'll be an issue any time soon. Would have barely run for 18 months and I suspect they'll build up his running loads slowly.

Agree, jus5 a theoretical conversation. Perhaps can always go and play local footy if required but I doubt that would be a strategy either. They’d want to monitor him closely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back