Player Watch Charlie Dean

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep and one thing i like about Ruscoe is that he went away in the off season and improved his physique/fitness.

He's clearly got the dedication and now he just needs to seize the opportunities presented to him.
Hopefully he realises the club sees a future for him and so the ball is in his court. Great to hear of his dedication.

i really can't see what Murphy is going to add.
What type of player is he?

Sure he has some courage, but he can't seem to put himself where the ball is or is going.
If Dean reads the play well and is a good intercept mark, I can't see a position for Murphy
Murphy was thrown around all year in 2021. Had no continuity. He'll be best 22 this season.

We could find players in and out with covid all season and we might end up playing the whole list; in that scenario Dean should prove more than handy.

Might even might play players outside of our List IF it gets too bad

in what position? He hasn't shown a strength anywhere
Courage and effort are strengths of Murphy - I doubt he'll be able to build a career on them alone however. He's a slow version of Goldsack, who built a career on courage, effort and pace.

Courage and effort are strengths of Murphy - I doubt he'll be able to build a career on them alone however. He's a slow version of Goldsack, who built a career on courage, effort and pace.
Goldsack was also a beast 1 on 1 and could roost the footy 65 metres. Even with all those advantages over Murphy, he only carved out a mediocre career as a role player.

Goldsack was also a beast 1 on 1 and could roost the footy 65 metres. Even with all those advantages over Murphy, he only carved out a mediocre career as a role player.
165 games and a premiership. Wonder what percentage of players beat those stats.

Most players would take that as a career if you offered it to them at the beginning.

165 games and a premiership. Wonder what percentage of players beat those stats.

Most players would take that as a career if you offered it to them at the beginning.

He wasn’t in our original premiership team, Malthouse dropped him for the 1st grand final, so let’s not pretend he was a star. Obviously it’s a better career than a random kid from the 3rd round or rookie draft could ask for.

He wasn’t in our original premiership team, Malthouse dropped him for the 1st grand final, so let’s not pretend he was a star. Obviously it’s a better career than a random kid from the 3rd round or rookie draft could ask for.
Not bad for pick 63 as an overager.

He was in the original premiership team. The other one wasn’t a premiership team. Do you really think Leon thinks of himself as a premiership player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mediocre?
165 games in B&W.
2 games representing AUSTRALIA.
Premiership player (kicked the first goal in our last Premiership).
Rising star nomination 2007.
Harry Collier trophy winner 2007.

You know, that’s a better career than the player currently facing charges in the USofA.
But you consider it “mediocre”?

The September team didnt win a Premiership.
The October team did. So….. which team was he in again? Sept or Oct?
And if Malthouse hadn’t dropped him for that first GF we wouldn’t have needed a second!
Malty wasn’t a genius you know.

And every Premiership reunion, every single one, who will be celebrated for that first goal?
Not Kappa I’m sure!

I reckon he was shortchanged a lot of games because Malthouse didn’t like/rate him

Apart from missing the 2010 GF (coming in for the replay) he was also overlooked in 2011. Goldy wouldhave been the ideal sub in the 2011 GF and perfect cover for Reid who was under a cloud but couldn’t be subbed out as the sub wasn’t suitable.. Malthouse selected a one positional first year player forward pocket as the sub instead ( Fasolo) .

I reckon he was shortchanged a lot of games because Malthouse didn’t like/rate him

Apart from missing the 2010 GF (coming in for the replay) he was also overlooked in 2011. Goldy wouldhave been the ideal sub in the 2011 GF and perfect cover for Reid who was under a cloud but couldn’t be subbed out as the sub wasn’t suitable.. Malthouse selected a one positional first year player forward pocket as the sub instead ( Fasolo) .

In terms of the sub and versatility, clubs weren't really picking their subs for injury cover at the time. The theory at the time was to pick them to come on and have an impact with fresh legs in the last quarter.

In terms of the sub and versatility, clubs weren't really picking their subs for injury cover at the time. The theory at the time was to pick them to come on and have an impact with fresh legs in the last quarter.

A little from column A and a little from column B is my recollection. goldy was very versatile... I wasn’t suggesting that cover for Reid should have been the only rationale for making him sub. He should probably been in the starting 21 !!!! And in terms of fresh legs, he was far more likely to have an impact than Fasolo who was an unathletic forward pocket in his debut year. Fresh legs by your definition should have been a midfielder. Fas wasn’t that anyway.

Na, he played some good seasons later in his career, but the first half was full of constant fumbles and poor skill errors.

A little from column A and a little from column B is my recollection. goldy was very versatile... I wasn’t suggesting that cover for Reid should have been the only rationale for making him sub. He should probably been in the starting 21 !!!! And in terms of fresh legs, he was far more likely to have an impact than Fasolo who was an unathletic forward pocket in his debut year. Fresh legs by your definition should have been a midfielder. Fas wasn’t that anyway.

The young Faz played higher up the ground than the one we remember, plus he played as sub in the West Coast final that final series and had an impact when he came on in the last quarter. In retrospect you're right, but it really wasn't a controversial selection at the time.

Na, he played some good seasons later in his career, but the first half was full of constant fumbles and poor skill errors.

He was heavily hit by injuries. My memory is of a player who needed consecutive games, as he always returned from injury with really rusty ball handling which got better the more games he played and just when he was playing really well, he'd get injured again.

The young Faz played higher up the ground than the one we remember, plus he played as sub in the West Coast final that final series and had an impact when he came on in the last quarter. In retrospect you're right, but it really wasn't a controversial selection at the time.
In my defence I’ve been saying the same thing for years and it’s not just hindsight using binoculars. But what’s done is done. I still maintain it was one of many mistakes Mick made that week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back