Recommitted Charlie Dixon [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, deliberately breaking legs in other years. Selfish bastards hey...

Ffs.

The f*ck has that got to do with anything?

Was merely an observation about how he, and many others before him, seem to have their best seasons the year they’re out of contract.

The f*ck has that got to do with anything?

Was merely an observation about how he, and many others before him, seem to have their best seasons the year they’re out of contract.
Are you thick?

Was it his fault he had severe injuries and no preseasons?

He's had many other good years.

If you don't watch Port, don't comment.

Are you thick?

Was it his fault he had severe injuries and no preseasons?

He's had many other good years.

If you don't watch Port, don't comment.

Again, my original comment was a general observation about how players seem to play some of their best footy when they’re coming out of contract.

And I live in Adelaide and attend plenty of Port games. Please tell me, aside from 2017, when Charlie has played this well?

Again, my original comment was a general observation about how players seem to play some of their best footy when they’re coming out of contract.

And I live in Adelaide and attend plenty of Port games. Please tell me, aside from 2017, when Charlie has played this well?
When has he not been injured?

2017 (which was not a contract year, by the way) was his only un-injury interrupted year since he's been at Port. Are you noticing a pattern here?

Charlie played 20 games for 26 goals in 2018

Because our ******* coach played him in the ruck for half of that season. Kicked 8 goals in his first 11 games and then 18 goals in his last 9. It was all down to role.

Because our ******* coach played him in the ruck for half of that season. Kicked 8 goals in his first 11 games and then 18 goals in his last 9. It was all down to role.
It's like, people don't watch Port...

Amazing.

It's like, people don't watch Port...

Amazing.

It's like, Port fans can't take the slightest bit of criticism towards any of their players....

Only need to look at their replies in this thread, as well as the Ollie Wines and Powell-Pepper threads to see how precious they are :rolleyes:

It's like, Port fans can't take the slightest bit of criticism towards any of their players....

Only need to look at their replies in this thread, as well as the Ollie Wines and Powell-Pepper threads to see how precious they are :rolleyes:
How about you admit how stupid it was knocking him for performing well when he's actually fit?

I get your comment about players out of contact playing well, look at Ollie Wines for example. I just think it's a bit misguided in regard to Dixon. I believe he's had his first injury free preseason. He's also not getting double teamed each week due to us having more of a tall forward structure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

18 goals in 9 games as a key forward? Okay, but nothing to get excited over. I happen to think his best role is in the ruck.

18 goals in 9 games as a key forward? Okay, but nothing to get excited over. I happen to think his best role is in the ruck.
Because you really know anything.

He's the leading goal kicker this year. We've got plenty of better ruck options.

No one cares about what you say about Port players. You have zero credibility.

He's clearly had a career hampered by injury.
That's why I also looked up his per game average, to account for this "horrible run with injuries" that we keep hearing about.

If you took your teal coloured glasses off and did some research, you would realise that 1.6 goals per game for a key forward who is getting paid between $650,000 and $700,000 per year, is nowhere near good enough. He has had a good start to 2020, but he's been a ridiculously poor investment for your club until this point.

Not going to bother with the silly little dig to begin your post. Play the ball, not the man.

Not going to bother with the silly little dig to begin your post. Play the ball, not the man.
And I'm not gonna bother with a poster who doesn't know who he supports and has spent a lifetime being petty about all things Port.

Goes both ways.

And if we wanna look at overpaid players, GWS (cough Adelaide) has a history full of them.

Regardless thread is stupid. He's not going anywhere.

That's why I also looked up his per game average, to account for this "horrible run with injuries" that we keep hearing about.

If you took your teal coloured glasses off and did some research, you would realise that 1.6 goals per game for a key forward who is getting paid between $650,000 and $700,000 per year, is nowhere near good enough. He has had a good start to 2020, but he's been a ridiculously poor investment for your club until this point.

I feel he's been worth the investment, but he hasn't received the support he needs. Too often he was running up and down the ground to provide an option, only to be running back as the ball is kicked into the forward 50 to a small forward/forwards.

He's been double teamed most of his time here due to being sometimes the only tall forward. The forward entries from Port in previous seasons have been chaotic with no real system.

All of this may strengthen your point about him being a poor investment, but I would say it's more a square peg in a round hole situation, rather than he hasn't been up to it. Injuries aside, he's been poorly utilised.

I feel he's been worth the investment, but he hasn't received the support he needs. Too often he was running up and down the ground to provide an option, only to be running back as the ball is kicked into the forward 50 to a small forward/forwards.

He's been double teamed most of his time here due to being sometimes the only tall forward. The forward entries from Port in previous seasons have been chaotic with no real system.

All of this may strengthen your point about him being a poor investment, but I would say it's more a square peg in a round hole situation, rather than he hasn't been up to it. Injuries aside, he's been poorly utilised.

I agree with you for the most part. With Gray and Wingard simultaneously in the forward line until 2019, Port were often a side that kicked the ball to space to utilise the unique skillsets of those two, who are a couple of the best one on one players in the league. This left Charlie as a bit of a wasted asset. I felt Charlie would have been better utilised as a lead up target. I also think Harlett's injuries and Pittard's regression before he was traded negatively impacted Charlie because he received very poor service when he did lead up the ground.

That being said, his contested marking throughout 2017 and 2018, simply wasn't good enough for a key forward earning that kind of money (see Rory Lobb when we tried to leave him one out), and because he didn't have a great defensive game, Port were at times exposed coming out of defensive which makes things looks worse than they actually were for Charlie.

Happy to see him playing well this year, but I'd be worried to hand him a long term deal on big money again, given his output throughout the rest of his career to date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate the opportunity to have a discussion instead of the trash some of your fellow Power supporters trot out.

I agree with you for the most part. With Gray and Wingard simultaneously in the forward line until 2019, Port were often a side that kicked the ball to space to utilise the unique skillsets of those two, who are a couple of the best one on one players in the league. This left Charlie as a bit of a wasted asset. I felt Charlie would have been better utilised as a lead up target. I also think Harlett's injuries and Pittard's regression before he was traded negatively impacted Charlie because he received very poor service when he did lead up the ground.

That being said, his contested marking throughout 2017 and 2018, simply wasn't good enough for a key forward earning that kind of money (see Rory Lobb when we tried to leave him one out), and because he didn't have a great defensive game, Port were at times exposed coming out of defensive which makes things looks worse than they actually were for Charlie.

Happy to see him playing well this year, but I'd be worried to hand him a long term deal on big money again, given his output throughout the rest of his career to date.
Yeah, his marking the last couple of years has been woeful. Seems like he has had the hardest of hands. When he first arrived, he could clunk a mark and kick pretty well for goal. He's seemed down on confidence the last 2 seasons. I've always liked his endeavour though, he's tried to will himself out of those situations.

I didn't think of Gray and Wingard to be honest, i was thinking of Sam Gray and Jake Neade. With the ball being kicked to them above head height for an opposing taller player to easily defend it.

With Charlie's size, I'd prefer him to stay forward of centre. His body is too big for running long distances each game. I wish we better utilised Westhoff, or played Marshall more to play that lead up role.

But to be fair, there's a lot of things in Charlie's control that he can and could have controlled better, such as marking as you say. I just think with the contested, contested chaotic ball movement we had was not conducive to someone like him. I wonder if we got Buddy, Jeremy Cameron, or whoever else instead, how things would have been different. I think there's definitely no guarantee they would be.

Has his signing been a success? Maybe not, but I wouldn't say it's been a failure. The teams fortunes have been a failure though. I'd change other things before saying we shouldn't have signed him.

Yeah I think at this stage of his career you'd keep the next contract to two years. I hope he keeps his form up, he deserves to stay injury free with a better looking gameplan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back